Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 99 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, I don't think Jesse was overrated like some are alluding to. My problem with him was his motor at times and the propensity to pick up dumb fouls or just half ass it which put an already suspect team in a worse position. He should have been a senior leader, but looked like he didn't want that role.

I mean the only visit scheduled is WV. Haven't seen anything around Kansas. Seems an effort to try and conceal( poorly) that WV has been in contact for a while throwing numbers back and forth. Blatant tampering for however long.. ( not that NCAA cares). Now watch Kansas show up for a visit and I'm wrong... but...

Listened to Deans pod and feel quite better about our situation. I’ll just say 99% of what posted here is not accurate.
Yeah I feel better after listening to Dean’s pod, that at least in terms of NIL we ain’t broke. We have the funds to compete. I’m willing to see how things shake out and who else we can land to fill the center spot. (Or maybe Jesse and his Pops come to their senses and he returns?) I get that the staff probably didn’t want to get themselves involved in an escalating bidding war if they had already increased the pot to meet the demands. But I still have questions. Are we making a mistake not paying the extra $$$ so we can have a quality center (which is hard to come by) to transition in Red’s first year? And are Jessie and his dad making a huge miscalculation not relying on the known quantity, Syracuse, over and unknown quantity that you have no prior relationship with? Meaning, these programs can promise all they like in these phone calls, but can they actually deliver? He knows Cuse will deliver for him based on the years of loyalty. Media people have alluded to the fact that some of these numbers that schools are promising portal kids may not come to fruition. There’s been talk of kids getting burned during the last cycle.

Last edited:
I mean we likely tampered with Starling so pretty hard to complain. That commitment was wrapped up in a day. It’s happening everywhere.
Brey retired a month before. So I think it was understood that their undergrads would be reaching out to other schools. They were going to be hiring a whole new coaching staff. Even though he wasn’t officially in the portal, no one would cry foul there.

Last edited:
So assuming WV is where he lands I hope they truly come through on the $$ for him. That system paired with the depth in the frontcourt might legitimately be a challenge for him to fit in. Even so much as being an 8/8 guy at 24-25 mins a game.

Yeah I feel better after listening to Dean’s pod, that at least in terms of NIL we ain’t broke. We have the funds to compete. I’m willing to see how things shake out and who else we can land to fill the center spot. (Or maybe Jesse and his Pops come to their senses and he returns?) I get that the staff probably didn’t want to get themselves involved in an escalating bidding war if they had already increased the pot to meet the demands. But I still have questions. Are we being stupid not paying the extra $$$ so we can have a quality center (which is hard to come by) to transition in Red’s first year? And are Jessie and his dad making a huge miscalculation not relying on the known quantity, Syracuse, over and unknown quantity that you have no prior relationship with? Meaning, these programs can promise all they like in these phone calls, but can they actually deliver? He knows Cuse will deliver for him based on the years of loyalty. Media people have alluded to the fact that some of these numbers that schools are promising portal kids may not come to fruition. There’s been talk of kids getting burned during the last cycle.
And has he been to Morgantown?

Much better than the garbage on here or twitter.
There are posters on here who have good info. You just have to know who they are, and I’m sure you know. Dean has good info, too, sometimes and does solid analysis of recruiting and prospects. He got cranky and frustrated towards the end of the JB era (but that was true for most of us), so it was sometimes hard to listen. Snd he does tend to riff a bit and you wonder, like a game of telephone, how much is he extrapolating from his sources? But he does have legit sources both close to the program and around the northeast basketball world and recruiting scene. He provides a good ear to the ground perspective that you can’t get elsewhere unless you’re hooked in.

If he gets paid 15 dollars an hour on a part time schedule he’s going to live like a king in Morgantown. Who could blame him?

2 things...well, maybe 3:
(1) Change the title of this thread for those of us who've been distracted and haven't been around the board. Something along the lines of: "Jesse Edwards in the portal". Just sayin'
(2) Why the freakout? We all knew this was a possibility, no? Folks are losing their isht because Jesse is gone? Ummmm, no thanks. We'll be just fine.
(3) If this is about a systemic break in the NIL machine by SU AD, then yes, we have some things to discuss. Otherwise, this is how the cbb game is played these days. If we're stuck in neutral trying to sort things out, then we're in deep trouble. Otherwise, its just water under the bridge, and we move on. We didn't lose Hakeem Olajuwan, all respect to Jess...so get a grip! Time to isht or get off the pot...are we NIL players, or not? That's the real question on the table. JMHO
He was our Hakeem

Well, if that was a "business decision" to let go a guy who just put up one of the best 10 seasons a center has ever done for us, then we better be able to get someone pretty good.

If we only win 10 or 12 games next season, this is going to a nail in the coffin. Attendance is already down 50%, and we're going to wind up with a really weak roster.

That's how it's looking to me. Where was the business decision when our attendance plummeted by 5,000 per game these past few years? We have a Patriot League wannabe for Chancellor.
Your schtick is getting tiring. You have said the same thing over and over again in 20 or more posts. I'm sure I'm not the only one zoning you out. And I won't even begin to list the factual errors.

There are posters on here who have good info. You just have to know who they are, and I’m sure you know. Dean has good info, too, sometimes and does solid analysis of recruiting and prospects. He got cranky and frustrated towards the end of the JB era (but that was true for most of us), so it was sometimes hard to listen. Snd he does tend to riff a bit and you wonder, like a game of telephone, how much is he extrapolating from his sources? But he does have legit sources both close to the program and around the northeast basketball world and recruiting scene. He provides a good ear to the ground perspective that you can’t get elsewhere unless you’re hooked in.

I loved Dean so much more as a poster than on his pod. No offense, because a person has to make a living. But I don't drive for work, so I don't have an hour and a half or two hours to listen for 20 or 30 minutes of information. It's not a morning talk show.

Your schtick is getting tiring. You have said the same thing over and over again in 20 or more posts. I'm sure I'm not the only one zoning you out. And I won't even begin to list the factual errors.

My apologies. I guess we'll see who they get. Hoping for the best, but things haven't been going our way for a long while.

Status
Not open for further replies.