Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 101 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
We ran the offense through Jesse? He was the third option on offense.

You think Jesse isn’t a championship player but his teammates are? We played 5/6 guys this year solid minutes who wouldn’t sniff the practice floor ten years ago.
not every game - but down the stretch a lot - I specifically remember a game late in the season where JB force fed Jesse all first half and he went into the halftime break with zero made field goals...

second half of the season the ball went through Jesse a lot! after the UNC game Joe basically disappeared...

It was usually just down the stretch of games or for a crucial 5 -10 minute stretch every game when jesse got the ball every possession.

I never said that the other players were championship level...just simply that Jesse isnt and wasnt and wont be with his big NIL bag wherever he gets it.

overall, generally, I think by 2023 the scheme with JB was extremely stale and way overscouted and prepped for and made the players look a lot worse than they are...i expect the players to look better this season if the coaches get a solid scheme in place. I truly dont think the talent was the problem last season at all - chris beard or nate oats or tony bennett wouldve had last year's roster easily in the tournament, imo. easily.

Yeah I feel better after listening to Dean’s pod, that at least in terms of NIL we ain’t broke. We have the funds to compete. I’m willing to see how things shake out and who else we can land to fill the center spot. (Or maybe Jesse and his Pops come to their senses and he returns?) I get that the staff probably didn’t want to get themselves involved in an escalating bidding war if they had already increased the pot to meet the demands. But I still have questions. Are we making a mistake not paying the extra $$$ so we can have a quality center (which is hard to come by) to transition in Red’s first year? And are Jessie and his dad making a huge miscalculation not relying on the known quantity, Syracuse, over and unknown quantity that you have no prior relationship with? Meaning, these programs can promise all they like in these phone calls, but can they actually deliver? He knows Cuse will deliver for him based on the years of loyalty. Media people have alluded to the fact that some of these numbers that schools are promising portal kids may not come to fruition. There’s been talk of kids getting burned during the last cycle.
Based on what those in the know have posted tell him to move on. Save the funds for the kids that stick to their word. If he hadn't told the staff he was staying fine. But not now. Replace him.

So Mike Waters article today seems to confirm that we did NOT figure out the whole work visa thing and couldn’t offer Jesse anything while other schools HAVE found a way around this. That’s extremely disappointing.
At the same time, hearing so many on this board claiming we were outbid for Jesse appears to be more misinformation from insiders.

So Mike Waters article today seems to confirm that we did NOT figure out the whole work visa thing and couldn’t offer Jesse anything while other schools HAVE found a way around this. That’s extremely disappointing.
At the same time, hearing so many on this board claiming we were outbid for Jesse appears to be more misinformation from insiders.
Bees claims it was worked out. Which is it?

not every game - but down the stretch a lot - I specifically remember a game late in the season where JB force fed Jesse all first half and he went into the halftime break with zero made field goals...

second half of the season the ball went through Jesse a lot! after the UNC game Joe basically disappeared...

It was usually just down the stretch of games or for a crucial 5 -10 minute stretch every game when jesse got the ball every possession.

I never said that the other players were championship level...just simply that Jesse isnt and wasnt and wont be with his big NIL bag wherever he gets it.

overall, generally, I think by 2023 the scheme with JB was extremely stale and way overscouted and prepped for and made the players look a lot worse than they are...i expect the players to look better this season if the coaches get a solid scheme in place. I truly dont think the talent was the problem last season at all - chris beard or nate oats or tony bennett wouldve had last year's roster easily in the tournament, imo. easily.
Wouldn’t that be on coaching rather than Jesse? If the Eagles sign me to be a running back and I run for -500 yards on the year, who’s really at fault?

For not being a championship guy, Gonzaga and Kansas want him more than we did, those are elite programs who are contenders year in and year out. Is Jesse Shaq? No, but he’s a hell of a lot better than anything else we’ve tried at center for 6-8 years.

Sounds like a championship player to me.

Jeez, you don’t need to trash the kid on his way out.
are you saying I should have more loyalty to Jesse??

I said I would be excited if he had come back for another season...

I'm really tired of the current era and all the roster flux in and out and players basically becoming mercenaries. there have been more quality transfers out of SU in the last few seasons than the decades previously and its killing my interest in a team I really enjoyed follwoing for many years...The sport isn't dead but it's on life support in the ICU...and Jesse transferring for NIL is another nail ready for the coffin, imo.

Wouldn’t that be on coaching rather than Jesse? If the Eagles sign me to be a running back and I run for -500 yards on the year, who’s really at fault?

For not being a championship guy, Gonzaga and Kansas want him more than we did, those are elite programs who are contenders year in and year out. Is Jesse Shaq? No, but he’s a hell of a lot better than anything else we’ve tried at center for 6-8 years.

Sounds like a championship player to me.
okay well hopefully you enjoy watching him on duke or georgetown next season...cheering for his championship. I know I won't.

(but yeah to an extent, it was certainly on the coaching a bit and totally the centers have been very poor for a long time but thats on JBs preferences not because jesse is good...yeah hes better than what the team has had but the team has had really bad centers for a long time)

at the end of the day, if a player transfers for basketball reasons to get a chance to play etc...I can sympathize a lot easier...but here's a player who was a focal point given every opportunity...without any real argument that another program is going to help his basketball career more in any way...simply leaving for money...in an "amateur sport"...and cannot even just admit that it what is going on...idk...the whole thing is becoming farcical to me from fan perspective

Last edited:
That article tells us nothing and the source likely is Edwards father. I’ll take others word for it here. Just say it’s about the money FFS

Bees claims it was worked out. Which is it?

Well other programs " claiming" they have it all figured out seems to be one of the problems with these other programs selling the kids before in the portal, sell a kid on it- then figure it out after. As for Jesse's situation guessing it's somewhere in the middle of what both sides are saying.

And I’m sure JJ just decided to come back to Syracuse out of a sincere love for his hometown.
That’s why I did.

I am sure there is an NIL component, but JJ was out the door the minute Bret left, Syracuse was always going to be a strong contender for his services and it was JJ who initiated the contact. Far different than the Edwards situation.

That article tells us nothing and the source likely is Edwards father. I’ll take others word for it here. Just say it’s about the money FFS
Is that right? So Mike Waters reported this without checking it out then,right?

If that's what Waters saying, it's not accurate. Devendorf didn't guarantee Jesse was coming back for no reason. We had 100% figured it out.

Evidently Jesse is getting $750,000.00 from a Dutch WVU grad. Essentially doubled our offer.
FWIW, was also told the BOT did not like Weitsman flying in rappers, and Syverud was told to cut out Weitsman.
From the dad of a guy deep in the athletic dept.

I like the North Texas kid. Think he would be a solid fit

He's not that tall. 6-7 or 6-8, from the looks of his tape. He's the size of a mid-level power forward. Nice post moves, though.

Man am I the only one getting fan portal fatigue? Some of you all every message are just raging about everything. We get it. I mean is kvetching every message honestly making you feel better? Take everything you have heard about Jesse, Syracuse and AW and just assume that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Could Syracuse maybe have done some stuff differently? Sure. Could AW done some stuff differently? Yeah. Did Jesse get offered something? Probably but were there maybe questions? Yeah probably. Let's just see how things shake out. Certainly hoping our nil matures further if needed and hopefully people learn to work together to problem solve and I believe Red is a pretty smart guy, give him a minute to implement his plan and pivots. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Evidently Jesse is getting $750,000.00 from a Dutch WVU grad. Essentially doubled our offer.
FWIW, was also told the BOT did not like Weitsman flying in rappers, and Syverud was told to cut out Weitsman.
That's how they ended up with a washed up Tone Loc doing the "midnight madness" practice event years ago before the students said What?

That’s why I did.

I am sure there is an NIL component, but JJ was out the door the minute Bret left, Syracuse was always going to be a strong contender for his services and it was JJ who initiated the contact. Far different than the Edwards situation.

Cool. Are you a former five star guard? Cuse could use you!

It’s still tampering regardless of who initiated contact (and I haven’t seen that reported anywhere…though it still could be true.). I’m not sure I would call it “far different.” Except in the case that in JJ Starlings case it was good for Syracuse, and in Edwards’’ case it hurt Syracuse.

He's not that tall. 6-7 or 6-8, from the looks of his tape. He's the size of a mid-level power forward. Nice post moves, though.
If there's one thing we learned from some of the teams that made runs in the tournament is you don't need 6'11 or 7'1 at the center position. A 6'8 or 6'9 guy in the middle could work, as well as a 3 guard lineup.

This just makes me chuckle. Thanks for my Friday funny. LOL!!!

R.c3f842b7ffa4e8aa4cf5c252f404de0b

Status
Not open for further replies.