JG3 —> Europe, 5th year, or Coaching? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JG3 —> Europe, 5th year, or Coaching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are a lot of ifs.

I'm not sure why some people are so hot to get the band back together when they were not a good team even in a historically weak conference. Coaching matters, but talent does too.
Sometimes a fresh start is needed by everyone. Great young man he will do great things in the future.

He can play point because he has played it before.

As fans we can demand control over things we cannot control, but if he is here and Judah isn't and JJ gets hurt and Q continues to be turnover happy, who are you going to have dribble the ball up the court?
So, you want Joe to stick around as Plan D at PG? Come on man. Just because he played PG under Jim, doesn't mean he was any good at it. Setting the bar this low is a byproduct of what Jim did to this program lol. This is not personal against Joe, this is the fact that Jim couldn't construct a roster and shoe-horned Joe in at point for 3 years at 30+ MPG. Joe Girard should not be a PG for an ACC team. Period. End of story.

Cannot be an easy time for Joe. His old coach gone, his current coach may be looking in a new direction, maybe a 6th man offer, maybe is embarrassed because of it (though he shouldn't be, it's a fit thing), maybe has some back channel inquiries going, those may or may not be going well. He may not be a fit now but we should give the young man props. Has his degree, had a solid college career here and represented the team, the school and his family well. When one door closes, another will open. Good luck to him however he decides. At the same time I look forward to the new blood on staff and on the team and seeing some exciting hoop action in the future here.
great post. Joe has been great for the program and JB has been great for him. On many teams Joe would have been a super sub vs a starter. At SU he has been afforded great opportunities and he has taken full advantage of them. I'm sure that this is a very difficult decision for all involved. If Joe decided to continue playing I hope that he stays with Syracuse and plays whatever role Red wants. He is 100% Orange and it would be a shame if he left for another team.

Joe should 100% return if that is his wish. I was quite impressed on how he changed his game last year and think that a 5th year would show even more improvement. Yes there were a few "bad" moments, but there were many more really good moments. If we truly run and gun there is going to be a good rotation of players to keep everyone fresh, so everyone will get minutes.

I might be in the minority, but I think Joe would be better in man than zone. If I recall he was one of the guys playing man in the triangle and 2 last year against Duke and did quite a good job.

Small guards have always had issues with the zone. For as athletic as Flynn was he hated it and we really struggled on defense up to the Gillon season as well.

I will be the first to predict that if Matt Lengel goes to Penn State, then Joe will follow him there. His game is perfectly situated for the more rugged and slower paced Big Ten conference.

If we're playing M2M defense now, I don't see how he can play 20 mpg of man defense against an ACC-level shooting guard.

I have similar concerns about Jesse trying to play man. He's going to run into more foul trouble than before.

I have similar concerns about Jesse trying to play man. He's going to run into more foul trouble than before.
This is a bigger concern than people are letting on if he does come back. Curious to see how he does getting out on guys on the perimeter and defending the pick and roll.

I wonder what the board reaction will be if he ends up going to another P5 school and drops like 14 a game on 40% 3pt shooting.
If we have Mintz and Starling I think we'd be quite happy

This is a bigger concern than people are letting on if he does come back. Curious to see how he does getting out on guys on the perimeter and defending the pick and roll.
And I don't think Hima can touch the court if we aren't playing zone

He can play point because he has played it before.

As fans we can demand control over things we cannot control, but if he is here and Judah isn't and JJ gets hurt and Q continues to be turnover happy, who are you going to have dribble the ball up the court?
You may have set a record for the most "ifs" in one post.

I wonder what the board reaction will be if he ends up going to another P5 school and drops like 14 a game on 40% 3pt shooting.
I'll be very happy for him. That said, if he wants to continue playing college ball, I hope he/Red can make it work here at Cuse. If it's not a good fit, then I think most wish him the best. Why not??

I mean, that's exactly what would happen though. If he transfers, it's to start, get tons of shots, and play for a system that could use him. And we know he can shoot. That doesn't mean Cuse would be better next year if Joe is taking significant minutes from JJ, Judah, or the mysterious quality portal guard. It's the non-shooting things from his position that we need improvement on. And if he wants to come off the bench when needed, that would be great. I'd be surprised if he would do that after 4 years of starting though.

JG3 should return. Pittsburgh built a team based on graduate transfers. We can do it, too. SU should be able to attract better graduate students than Pitt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom