JG3 —> Europe, 5th year, or Coaching? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JG3 —> Europe, 5th year, or Coaching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait what? Red would kill to have him back. Unless I’m misreading what you’re saying. Apologies if so
From Jakes post in another thread it looks like Red might have made the decision for him. I bet a lot of it comes down to if Judah comes back or if we aren’t able to add another big time portal guard.

Cannot be an easy time for Joe. His old coach gone, his current coach may be looking in a new direction, maybe a 6th man offer, maybe is embarrassed because of it (though he shouldn't be, it's a fit thing), maybe has some back channel inquiries going, those may or may not be going well. He may not be a fit now but we should give the young man props. Has his degree, had a solid college career here and represented the team, the school and his family well. When one door closes, another will open. Good luck to him however he decides. At the same time I look forward to the new blood on staff and on the team and seeing some exciting hoop action in the future here.

Cannot be an easy time for Joe. His old coach gone, his current coach may be looking in a new direction, maybe a 6th man offer, maybe is embarrassed because of it (though he shouldn't be, it's a fit thing), maybe has some back channel inquiries going, those may or may not be going well. He may not be a fit now but we should give the young man props. Has his degree, had a solid college career here and represented the team, the school and his family well. When one door closes, another will open. Good luck to him however he decides. At the same time I look forward to the new blood on staff and on the team and seeing some exciting hoop action in the future here.
Perfectly said.

I hope it turns out well for Joe. I remember being in the dome when he came off the bench early in the 2019 year and looked better than Carey moving the ball around. Gave the team some life that was much needed. Its too bad his time here coincided with some struggles.

From Jakes post in another thread it looks like Red might have made the decision for him. I bet a lot of it comes down to if Judah comes back or if we aren’t able to add another big time portal guard.
I’m not totally up to date on the current portal, but I can’t imagine there is a guard in the portal better than Girard.

I hope it turns out well for Joe. I remember being in the dome when he came off the bench early in the 2019 year and looked better than Carey moving the ball around. Gave the team some life that was much needed. Its too bad his time here coincided with some struggles.
He got the brunt of the worst stretch most of us have ever experienced plus Jimmy’s stubbornness. Don’t want to belittle some of his accomplishments but he would’ve been a great 3rd guard / 6th man microwave scorer.

I’m not totally up to date on the current portal, but I can’t imagine there is a guard in the portal better than Girard.

... at certain things.

He is a terrific streak shooter, and an adequate PG. He could be a terrific 3rd guard on the right team. His defense is not that good. I could see him being a 3rd guard on a Big 10 or Big East team, or somebody like Notre Dame.

Joe is in a difficult spot.
How so? He can get plenty of minutes the coach isn’t committed to having only 2 guards on the floor at all timesanymore. He’s crazy if he leaves and no vet guards come in.

Yes JB catered to him to a certain extent. Red won’t but should use him better.

He can find a good enough program to start at but he might as well stay here he’s getting 20-25 per night at least if he shoots well.

He got the brunt of the worst stretch most of us have ever experienced plus Jimmy’s stubbornness. Don’t want to belittle some of his accomplishments but he would’ve been a great 3rd guard / 6th man microwave scorer.
He can be here still, whether he'll accept that role or not is up to him. He could be an absolute sparkplug off the bench next year.

How so? He can get plenty of minutes the coach isn’t committed to having only 2 guards on the floor at all timesanymore. He’s crazy if he leaves and no vet guards come in.

Yes JB catered to him to a certain extent. Red won’t but should use him better.

He can find a good enough program to start at but he might as well stay here he’s getting 20-25 per night at least if he shoots well.
I don't think this is necessarily true. In fact I'd say more doubtful than probable.

Sorry to start a new JG3 thread, but his last thread somehow turned into a “he can’t run fast or jump high thread!”

Serious question as I do not follow or have the knowledge of Pro basketball outside of the United States. Does Joe have the ability to play pro ball in Europe after this season? Would everyone be upset if he stays here and plays his “Covid year?” Or does he leave after this year and retire/start grad-student coaching somewhere?
I 100% want Joe to come back. He can play point and shooting guard. Why would anyone not want him back?

I 100% get frustrated with his play, some 50% of the time. Whining to refs when the opponent is scooping up a loose ball is so frustrating.

I assume Autry would use him appropriately, relative to the other talent he has to draw from.

JG3 playing along Judah and JJ would be an interesting lineup, and when a bigger lineup is needed, use 2 of the hot hands of either Q, Justin, JG3, JJ, or Judah for the majority minutes game to game would be good for SU.

I have no opinion about playing in Europe, but assume he is too short for it.

Does he have the option of accepting a 6th man reduced role?

If so, why on god’s green earth chase him off?

I can understand him weighing certain options vs that role. But he’d be making his NIL, button up his 3pt FG % and in good position to transition to a solid Euro career.

Joe’s not some talentless hack, and he’s certainly a p5 guard. Some people here have inexplicable ill will towards him for reasons I can only guess at.

I 100% want Joe to come back. He can play point and shooting guard. Why would anyone not want him back?

I 100% get frustrated with his play, some 50% of the time. Whining to refs when the opponent is scooping up a loose ball is so frustrating.

I assume Autry would use him appropriately, relative to the other talent he has to draw from.

JG3 playing along Judah and JJ would be an interesting lineup, and when a bigger lineup is needed, use 2 of the hot hands of either Q, Justin, JG3, JJ, or Judah for the majority minutes game to game would be good for SU.

He can't play point. If this program is committed to getting back to winning consistently, guys like JG3 cannot be your PG.

Does he have the option of accepting a 6th man reduced role?

If so, why on god’s green earth chase him off?

I can understand him weighing certain options vs that role. But he’d be making his NIL, button up his 3pt FG % and in good position to transition to a solid Euro career.

Joe’s not some talentless hack, and he’s certainly a p5 guard. Some people here have inexplicable ill will towards him for reasons I can only guess at.
Regardless of what is posted on here, Joe certainly has agency to make his own decisions.

Relative to a high major D1 school, I think Joe is definitely a top shooter to be a starting SG in the right situation, his PG skills - while serviceable - are limited, and his defense ranges from acceptable to downright bad.

He can't play point. If this program is committed to getting back to winning consistently, guys like JG3 cannot be your PG.
He can play point because he has played it before.

As fans we can demand control over things we cannot control, but if he is here and Judah isn't and JJ gets hurt and Q continues to be turnover happy, who are you going to have dribble the ball up the court?

If he were to go from 4 year starter to 1st or 2nd guard off the bench, how would he handle that?

It's important for Red to know. Team chemistry will be critical with all the moving pieces.

He can play point because he has played it before.

As fans we can demand control over things we cannot control, but if he is here and Judah isn't and JJ gets hurt and Q continues to be turnover happy, who are you going to have dribble the ball up the court?
Those are a lot of ifs.

I'm not sure why some people are so hot to get the band back together when they were not a good team even in a historically weak conference. Coaching matters, but talent does too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom