JG3 on third team AND what we will need for next year | Syracusefan.com

JG3 on third team AND what we will need for next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
It helps Girard that they actually run an offense. His defense is as good as some of our guards.
Yeah, Clemson’s offense is very pass dependent. Rarely are those guys forced to ISO much or hold the ball for more than a few seconds. As far as his defense, it’s been passable, but he’s never matched up with better offensive players. His defensive metrics are still below average & only JJ on SU is similar. Judah, Cuffe, and Cope are miles ahead.

This has a good shot at getting red high-heeled to death, but I’m hoping Girard drops 40 on us.
1704477827254.gif

Hope Girard has to Guard Q.Copeland. That would be a nice matchup. Q would foul out their Center and we would win. Girard would be 6-21 from 3 in that game with 25 points. We win. But lets just focus on winning our next game against BC.

GO CUSE

Yeah, Clemson’s offense is very pass dependent. Rarely are those guys forced to ISO much or hold the ball for more than a few seconds. As far as his defense, it’s been passable, but he’s never matched up with better offensive players. His defensive metrics are still below average & only JJ on SU is similar. Judah, Cuffe, and Cope are miles ahead.

The gap between Girard and JJ is greater than the gap between Girard and Cuffe. He’s matched up with the other teams 2G and sometimes Pg regardless with how good they are. Hes not gonna guard forwards.

This has a good shot at getting red high-heeled to death, but I’m hoping Girard drops 40 on us.
I'd like to see Copeland on Girard every time he touches the ball. Then I'd like to see Mintz or Brown double team him, just so he'll dribble the ball off his foot seven times in a 8 point win for Syracuse.

The shooting guard position is killing us this season. JJ has been marginally better than Chris Bell on defense and worse on offense. Hard to win when you get zero production from the wings.

The Lack of shooting guard position is killing us this season
The gap between Girard and JJ is greater than the gap between Girard and Cuffe. He’s matched up with the other teams 2G and sometimes Pg regardless with how good they are. Hes not gonna guard forwards.
OK, and he's the 9th worst d-rating (more than 150 minutes played) in the ACC just ahead of Chase Hunter, Chauncey Wiggins and most of Louisville. At the end of the Miami game where they were getting thumped in the 2nd half Brownell was pulling him during defensive possessions.

1704482290183.png

I'm happy Joe is in a system where he can finally shine offensively, but let's not pretend he's something he's not. Put him on this SU team and his offense wouldn't be nearly as good and he'd be the team's worst defender by far because SU actually is playing pretty good team defense (more or less tied for 4th in the conference).

I'd like to see Copeland on Girard every time he touches the ball. Then I'd like to see Mintz or Brown double team him, just so he'll dribble the ball off his foot seven times in a 8 point win for Syracuse.
If Brown is helping you’re going to leave PJ Hall alone? Who’s switching to guard him? Taylor? Bell? Kid would drop 40 on us.

OK, and he's the 9th worst d-rating (more than 150 minutes played) in the ACC just ahead of Chase Hunter, Chauncey Wiggins and most of Louisville. At the end of the Miami game where they were getting thumped in the 2nd half Brownell was pulling him during defensive possessions.

View attachment 236176

I'm happy Joe is in a system where he can finally shine offensively, but let's not pretend he's something he's not. Put him on this SU team and his offense wouldn't be nearly as good and he'd be the team's worst defender by far because SU actually is playing pretty good team defense (more or less tied for 4th in the conference).
Not sure how defensive rating ties to Defensive Box Plus Minus, but we have a bunch of guys with significantly worse DPM on our team including JJ and FWIW Clemson has a higher defensive rating on KenPom than us. KenPom thinks they’ve played better offensive teams than we have so far.

And I’m mostly picking on that position because everyone else is debating the forwards when most fans thought we were getting a sure upgrade at the 2. It hasn’t happened at all.

Last edited:
If Brown is helping you’re going to leave PJ Hall alone? Who’s switching to guard him? Taylor? Bell? Kid would drop 40 on us.
It doesn't matter, Girard is turning it over. ;)

We're getting our points going the other direction.

Mostly I'm making fun of my biggest frustration with Girard. He was a very good player for us, although his usage could have been wiser and he had his weaknesses.

I'm sure he would have been good on this team, his shooting definitely would have been valuable. But I'm happy with the change in style, even if it hasn't gone exactly as I envisioned.

If Westry wasn't hurt, Starling's shot unbroken and Edwards still at Syracuse, we wouldn't be missing Girard at all.

C’est la vie

View attachment 236176

JJ and Bell are far worse defenders by DBPM.

Btw, I’m not a fan at all of defensive metrics.

View attachment 236176

Some one posted on here the other day that Clemson's defense was better than ours. Despite LITERAL NUMBERS suggesting otherwise. I was going to comment back but what's the point...people are in their feelings... The fact that this nonstop discussion about an ok SG is still going is hilarious. The loss of Jesse is about 1000x bigger impact on this year's team than Joe yet he doesnt get mentioned very often because...reasons, I guess?

Some one posted on here the other day that Clemson's defense was better than ours. Despite LITERAL NUMBERS suggesting otherwise. I was going to comment back but what's the point...people are in their feelings... The fact that this nonstop discussion about an ok SG is still going is hilarious. The loss of Jesse is about 1000x bigger impact on this year's team than Joe yet he doesnt get mentioned very often because...reasons, I guess?

Because he’s hurt.

'Member when folks said Joe's defensive metrics didn't count because we played zone.

Clemson must play a lot of zone.

They only play a little. But joes metrics in m2m are better than last year. And better than JJ’s. Joes overall BPM is better than anyone on SU except Brown who he’s tied with. And I say that as someone who still thinks DBPM is garbage.

And for those who monitor minutes played, JJ has the worse BPM on the team except for Cuffe and yet he leads the ACC in minutes played and is 2nd in MPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.