Jim Boeheim Appreciation thread. | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Jim Boeheim Appreciation thread.

He’d be in the car before the bus taking his team departed for the Farmington Marriott. No dust ever settled on his shoulders from the plane to the car when recruiting a player was involved. He had to get there as soon as possible.

Jim settled into the back seat and another friend and Syracuse grad at the wheel and I were suddenly on our way to see another recruit Jim was interested in. The recruiting trips over the years in CT from the airport after the team arrived were few but enjoyable.

I’ve missed those trips since Syracuse joined the ACC and really before that he was recruiting nationally.

But, part of each recruiting trip would also include Jim asking, “Is there an Italian restaurant around here?” It was post game and Jim and all of us were hungry. There was an immediate answer from me, as I lived a mile from a French restaurant nestled alongside the Farmington River. French! Jim loves Italian. But having eaten at L’Auberge de Paris, a small, inn par excellence with spectacular food created by a chef from NYC who could make any dish sing would do just fine, I thought. It turned out to be a wonderful suggestion and lasted years.

After every trip he’d ask, "is that Auberge place still open?" He loved it. There have been many stories about Jim Boeheim’s Italian food interest. Honestly, his appetite was great and he would order the same meal every time, chicken parm. I think he loved it too, because of the flaming, Crepe Suzette presented at the table for our dessert by the owner who got to know Jim the coach and person. Jim always asked the owner how the chef made the parm sauce/gravy, and the chef would explain, even giving Jim the recipie. He always left smiling and satiated.

I thought I’d offer a personal story post his retirement and all the stories I’ve read from everyone who knew him, from reporters to the PTI guys to his players.

When I first learned about it I was a little in disbelief. Not because I didn’t know it was coming, but by the way it was handled. I sit here a little sad and write this with tears in my eyes and a stupid, lump in my throat because I knew him and how he loves Syracuse and his players.

Sure, there were words of how great a coach he was and the length of his tenure from SU Athletics and the head of the ACC.

I think it would be a better gesture if there was a Celebrate Boeheim Night. Something that the higher ups plan for him at the Dome that fans, students and players could participate in and know that this man made Syracuse a place to come to because of the basketball team. I wish they would do it and I could hear the roar of everyone cheering for him, celebrating him. They haven’t done that and out of respect, and his achievements. He deserves that. I hope they will.

Last edited:
I enjoyed watching his teams over the years and thrilled he was chosen as HC after Roy left for Tulane.

I'll miss his press conferences as he added spice to life with his opinions.

Saw him be animated and dressed in so many ways and the only time he looked chic was because of his bride...thanks Julie.

Big advocate of the area and I couldn't agree more.

Thanks Coach and enjoy the time you now have to enjoy the things you love...you've earned it.

It's an old time saying but it applies to the events of this week, "All's well that ends well." It seems the university did right by JB, JB did right by the university. We've got a new basketball coach and new philosophy at the helm, let's all get 1000% behind AA!

I watched the 2003 championship game again this morning. We've had so many great teams under JB, I'm so happy he won at least one championship. That was a great moment in time for all of us, beating the Big 12 along the way. Thanks, coach.

I appreciate what he did today, despite saying what he did this was not easy, forever respect and love earned even amongst critics of some of his behavior, myself included.

There was a serious question as to whether or not he would even attend, in retrospect, there should’ve been no doubt. Put himself secondary to the interests of the greater good of Syracuse University and Orange nation. God bless him.

Last edited:
Jim will be honored next season as I had hoped. For those of you who have already read this or know that this will happen, my apologies, and thank you Jim.
Former Syracuse Orange head coach Jim Boeheim Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports
Twitter
Flipboard
Reddit

Legendary Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim 'thrilled to be retired'​

By Zac Wassink | Last updated 3/10/23

It took a little longer than some would've liked, but legendary coach Jim Boeheim was finally able to offer a proper farewell to the Syracuse Orange faithful.

Per Hank Domin of Syracuse.com and Pete Thamel of ESPN, Boeheim got emotional on Friday while addressing his contributions to Syracuse basketball and the university after spending 47 seasons as coach of the men's team.

"I’m thrilled to be retired," Boeheim insisted during the news conference that was also about introducing Adrian Autry as the program's new coach. "I’ve felt better in the last two days than I have in the last 47 years."

Much of the college basketball community was left stunned when Syracuse abruptly mentioned without much fanfare on Wednesday that Boeheim would not return after 47 seasons in charge. As noted by Boeheim hinted following his team's 77-74 loss to the Wake Forest Demon Deacons in the ACC Tournament earlier that day that a possible retirement may not be his "choice."

Former Duke Blue Devils coach Mike Krzyzewski and longtime ESPN personality Dick Vitale were among the those who publicly said Boeheim deserved a better sendoff than what occurred on Wednesday. Per Domin, Boeheim met with chancellor Kent Syverud and athletic director John Wildhack on Thursday and worked "most everything" out.

"I’m 78 years old, and I will never leave Syracuse," Boeheim added. "I will never leave Syracuse University."

As for Autry, he'd been part of Boeheim's staff since 2011 and played for the coach from 1990 to 1994.

"He knows basketball. He knows how to coach," Boeheim said of his successor. "The program is in good hands."

Meanwhile, Autry told reporters that the program and university will eventually celebrate Boeheim "in a big way," presumably ahead of a men's basketball game next season.

"He might not like it, but I’ll call (Boeheim's wife) Juli and make sure he’s there," Autry said of that upcoming event.

Jim will be honored next season as I had hoped. For those of you who have already read this or know that this will happen, my apologies, and thank you Jim.

Former Syracuse Orange head coach Jim Boeheim Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports
Twitter
Flipboard
Reddit

Legendary Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim 'thrilled to be retired'​

By Zac Wassink | Last updated 3/10/23

It took a little longer than some would've liked, but legendary coach Jim Boeheim was finally able to offer a proper farewell to the Syracuse Orange faithful.

Per Hank Domin of Syracuse.com and Pete Thamel of ESPN, Boeheim got emotional on Friday while addressing his contributions to Syracuse basketball and the university after spending 47 seasons as coach of the men's team.

"I’m thrilled to be retired," Boeheim insisted during the news conference that was also about introducing Adrian Autry as the program's new coach. "I’ve felt better in the last two days than I have in the last 47 years."

Much of the college basketball community was left stunned when Syracuse abruptly mentioned without much fanfare on Wednesday that Boeheim would not return after 47 seasons in charge. As noted by Boeheim hinted following his team's 77-74 loss to the Wake Forest Demon Deacons in the ACC Tournament earlier that day that a possible retirement may not be his "choice."

Former Duke Blue Devils coach Mike Krzyzewski and longtime ESPN personality Dick Vitale were among the those who publicly said Boeheim deserved a better sendoff than what occurred on Wednesday. Per Domin, Boeheim met with chancellor Kent Syverud and athletic director John Wildhack on Thursday and worked "most everything" out.

"I’m 78 years old, and I will never leave Syracuse," Boeheim added. "I will never leave Syracuse University."

As for Autry, he'd been part of Boeheim's staff since 2011 and played for the coach from 1990 to 1994.

"He knows basketball. He knows how to coach," Boeheim said of his successor. "The program is in good hands."

Meanwhile, Autry told reporters that the program and university will eventually celebrate Boeheim "in a big way," presumably ahead of a men's basketball game next season.

"He might not like it, but I’ll call (Boeheim's wife) Juli and make sure he’s there," Autry said of that upcoming event.
That was Wildhack who said they will celebrate him in a big way and he would call Julie if he had to

I have a theory that Jim played golf because it was the only way for him to be cool.

Looking at that picture, JAB is without doubt the coolest guy on the team. ;)
Make no mistake, there isn't an ounce of cool in that picture. It's like being the tallest midget...or little person or whatever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom