Jim Boeheim Appreciation thread. | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Jim Boeheim Appreciation thread.

I really hope JB slides into a commentator role for a few years. He clearly loves basketball, so it seems like it would be a perfect fit for him in a totally stress free environment. Just sit back, still be part of the action, make witty comments roasting people like others would do to him, etc.
Sitting in next march ripping on Barkley for not knowing anything would be so fun

I'm only 38, but have been brought up to be an SU fan since birth as my 81 year old father has been a fan since the late 1940's which included following Boeheim and Bing at the NIT in the old garden in NYC. I have had season tickets since I was a student in 03 and Boeheim is obviously all I know.

My first recollection of being a die hard Syracuse fan was losing to Minnesota in the tournament in 1990 when a lesser know guard named Anthony Scott basically shot us out of the game.

My fandom really took off during the Moten and Wallace years and there was no doubt after that I would attend Syracuse University.

In a weird way Jim Boeheim is probably the reason I am still in the area. I fell in love with Syracuse University and the City because of his program and ultimately I stayed here after graduation. In many ways he reminds me of my grumpy 81 year old dad who is also a lifelong upstater.

I’m 47 and remember being at the Boys and Girls club banquet. I sat next to Baye and he had 3 plates of food! A kid asked Jim Boeheim who his favorite player was on the team. He responded with a witty comment like he always did, “I’ll let you know at the end of the year.”

Jim played golf with my Dad before and was always funny, gracious and overall a wonderful person for those who know him. Sad day indeed. I wanted more than anything for him to go out on top.

He deserves his wins back. That’s still a joke. It was time for him to go, yes but I also understand his disdain for local media. They are the ones who sold him out for first probation. Jim is incredibly loyal and probably expected the same especially when all teams are basically bending the rules. Why we ever self reported will never make sense to me. I still think that hammered our program.

Either way, Jimmy has done more for Syracuse and the community then anyone else. Build the statue !

I’m 47 and remember being at the Boys and Girls club banquet. I sat next to Baye and he had 3 plates of food! A kid asked Jim Boeheim who his favorite player was on the team. He responded with a witty comment like he always did, “I’ll let you know at the end of the year.”

Jim played golf with my Dad before and was always funny, gracious and overall a wonderful person for those who know him. Sad day indeed. I wanted more than anything for him to go out on top.

He deserves his wins back. That’s still a joke. It was time for him to go, yes but I also understand his disdain for local media. They are the ones who sold him out for first probation. Jim is incredibly loyal and probably expected the same especially when all teams are basically bending the rules. Why we ever self reported will never make sense to me. I still think that hammered our program.

Either way, Jimmy has done more for Syracuse and the community then anyone else. Build the statue !

I'm curious what it would take to press on the issue of getting his wins back besides the NCAA acting in "good faith" ( yes I chuckled even typing that with a serious tone).

I think there are enough of us, espn talking heads included, that are willing to elevate the hell out of this issue and ensure he enjoys most of retirement with them back intact.

E26DE920-6F14-41D5-864D-EF5D6C1CCEBD.jpeg

Jim Boeheim will best be remembered by me for being the coach for Syracuse in the Big East and the Big East and him making Syracuse a basketball powerhouse.

Those games in the Dome when it could get so loud you couldn't hear the person next to you. The electricity created still gives me chills just thinking about it. The players on all the teams that were head and shoulders above 99% since then. And most stayed for 4 years! Thanks, JB, for helping to make it so.

JB was a brilliant bench coach and was second to none of the others when it came to doing the things needed to win a game. The players he brought in were icons of the program and even those whose name does not hang in the Dome were revered by the fans.

I met Jim on a few occasions and he was always congenial. The biggest smile came when he signed my commemorative program of the 2003 Championship while at a golf tournament. I asked him if Carmelo was as nice a person as he appeared. The smile came with the comment "Hes even better".

Since heading South, we've gone to many of the ACC away games. It always put a smile on my face and a little chill in my body when he walked on the court and heard the boos and a few cheers.

Thanks, Jim, for helping to give me and Mrs. real many great memories. May you find satisfaction in whatever you do now.

I’m 44 so he’s been the coach for my entire life. The Wallace run, the 2010 and 2012 teams, and of course 2003 were just seasons you can’t forget.

This program has brought me so much joy (and pain at points) throughout my life and can’t do anything but thank Jim and the players for that.

I’m ok with the change and ok with giving Red a shot, he’s been there and it has to be him. I think we’ll know quick on how this is going to be run, the portal incoming and outgoing is going to be a quick sign in that direction.
I only hope Coach really knows how much so many of us appreciate what he has done. I also hope he stays visible and active around the program, in a supporting role for AA.

51 years old here and lifelong central New Yorker. Like so many of you my fandom started very early in life. I grew up poor and never attended a game until my senior year in high school. But we never missed a game. The radio was always dialed in and everyone knew to be quiet so as not to disrupt my dads ability to hear what was going on. We lived and died with the outcome of games. Family conversations were always focused on the players and coaches and next game. Many of the highest moments and lowest moments of my life have been tied to this program. In 87 I cried myself to sleep after we lost to IU. In 03 I cried tears of joy in the superdome after we won it all.

Yesterday was a bag of mixed emotions but mostly a sense of relief. This change was coming. We all know it had to be done. I wish coach had a farewell tour but obviously that’s not what he wanted. I wish he wanted that.

I wish Coach the very best in his next chapter. I hope he spoils Julie and has a blast jet setting around the world.

Sitting in next march ripping on Barkley for not knowing anything would be so fun
As I am reading all the suggestions aboutJB as a commentator, I can’t help but think he might be a Roy Kent like (Ted Lasso )character as someone in a studio. A bit crass, always right on point, and always pointing out the BS from others.

sent to me by a friend:

I arrived in Syracuse, 1976, Rabbi Temple Adath, then the largest synagogue in Central New York. It so happened to be the same year Coach Boeheim, became Head Coach Syracuse Men’s Basketball program. Under Coach Boeheim’s leadership and mentorship, the basketball program quickly became for decades a “national power”. And I soon realized, not to “compete” with the basketball program; when they played, home or away, all synagogue programs were put on “the back burner”. Truth be told, being myself a passionate fan, it took little or no encouragement for me to be “part of the fan base”! Way back then, as much as I enjoyed SU basketball, I thought it was only about basketball; a distraction, a fun night/afternoon out at Manley or The Dome. But then, our oldest son Eyal, at 4 years old, was diagnosed with a brain stem lesion. He subsequently suffered a brain stem stroke and for the next 32 years of his life was a quadrapalegic, unable to breathe on his own, could not speak or eat, totally dependent on others. Back then, kids like Eyal were ostracized and excluded. And it was then, I learned alot about life, inclusion, unconditional love and friendship from Coach Boeheim. He had heard about Eyal and made him part of the SU basketball family. He made sure Eyal had seats, not any seats, but on the floor almost at half-court. Eyal had an open-invitation to team practices and whenever Coach saw Eyal, he made sure to acknowledge him with a smile, a word of encouragement,always looking him in the eye, validating Eyal’s humanity with “Hi, Eyal”!!! I can say now unequivocally, those simple gestures of inclusion allowing Eyal be “part of the team”,provided Eyal with enormous comfort and motivation to welcome another day!!! Coach, during the coming days, weeks, months, years you will be celebrated for your well-deserved basketball successes; but we will always recall and celebrate your goodness, kindness, wisdom,selflessness and friendship!!Much, Much Thanks!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom