Jim Brown - Donovan McNabb | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jim Brown - Donovan McNabb

Billy Cannon or Kevin Faulk? Or Charles Alexander?

If you give me those three, man that's tough. Each played in a different era and each did something substantial. Cannon helped win a NC and won The Heisman. Charles The Great finished in the Hiesman voting and still holds the record for most yards averaged per game. And Kevin Faulk. He is responsible for helping Bring Back The Magic after the very dark days of the early 90's. I'd go with Cannon because he won football's highest award and a NC. But there is another .....

YA Tittle.

Or this guy
$T2eC16FHJIQE9qUHrisZBQZni(VZI!~~60_35.JPG

Ernie Davis because of the Heisman and the NC is most beloved.

Jim Brown, however, is regarded in these here parts as the greatest football player in history.
Not just these parts... just about every sports commentator will say that as well when his name is mentioned.

Without Jim there is no Ernie, Heisman, or National Championship. Floyd never comes, and the legend of 44 never happens.
Without marshmallows there is no smores...but there IS marshmallows..so i don't see your point.

Syracuse is top 10 (at least) in nfl hall of famers.

Jim Brown is still in the mix greatest football player of all time

John Mackey has the TE award named after him for a reason

Eanie Davis first African American heisman winner

Marvin Harrison retired with multiple career wr records

Gary Anderson argument for best Pk in nfl history

Cszonka and DJ two of the best FBs in NFL history
You left off Art Monk. If you're going to put Marvin on this list, you have to put Art Monk on it. He is already in the HOF and retired with the most receptions in NFL history, as well as several other receiving records.

Syracuse is the 15th winningest program in Division 1-A college football history
Only USC (11), ND (10), Pittsburgh (8), UM (8) and Ohio St (8) have more members in the Pro Football Hall of Fame than Syracuse (7)
Syracuse
is one of 16 BCS schools with at least 18 representatives in the College Football Hall of Fame

With FOUR nominees this year there is a chance we go to eight in 2016. Marvin Harrison definitely gets in at some point. Gary Anderson probably deserves it. Can certainly make a case for Daryl Johnston but tough to evaluate a fullback's contributions. Keith Bullock's nomination is just a tribute to longevity I think. Though he had some exceptional seasons I don't think anyone truly views him as a HOFer. In the next couple of years I think we'll see Tom Coughlin get in - no brainer almost with 2 Super Bowl rings. Dwight Freeney helped revolutionize the DE position and is certainly deserving IMO. Donovan McNabb will at least be a strong candidate who will get a significant number of votes (table the debate for now, guys) and I'm surprised Al Davis isn't in as a contributor.

Jim Brown is without a doubt the best not only at football but was considered by many to be the greatest Lacrosse player to ever live. The rules of Lax were changed because of big Jim. Another two sport great at SU was Vic Hanson they only member of both the Naismith (Basketball) and College Football Hall of Fame. Floyd Little was a three time All American and NFL Hall of Famer and Joe "Doc" Alexander was a two time All American back in the roaring 20s as a Tackle. Lot of pigskin history on the hill.

Without question one the greatest QBs to ever play for LSU and he continued to play A+ once he got to the NFL. This is the picture he is most known for and shows you the warrior he was on the field:

tittle_header6_1600x900.jpg
I remember seeing that image as a kid in the late 60s when I first started following football closely. It has always stayed with me.

Got to go with Schwedes for PR. Otherwise good list.

Jim Brown is without a doubt the best not only at football but was considered by many to be the greatest Lacrosse player to ever live. The rules of Lax were changed because of big Jim. Another two sport great at SU was Vic Hanson they only member of both the Naismith (Basketball) and College Football Hall of Fame. Floyd Little was a three time All American and NFL Hall of Famer and Joe "Doc" Alexander was a two time All American back in the roaring 20s as a Tackle. Lot of pigskin history on the hill.

I was gonna say, Jim Brown is a legend at Cuse for both Football and Lax. He might be the greatest athlete of all time.

was jim brown a legend before he went to the nfl?

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jim-brown-1.html

i hear the stories from my old man about how great he was at SU, i believe them. but at SU, Ernie davis was better.

davis had .8 more YPC, 295 more rushing yards, 567 more yards from scrimmage, 3 more TD.

Jim Brown became Jim Brown while he was here. Ernie Davis was Ernie Davis from the time he showed up. The coaching staff took a while to recognize Brown's talent but they knew what they had in Davis from the beginning, perhaps because of what Brown ahd done for them.

Says its the most southern thing ever to do.

That radio guy must be living in high cotton eh? Might just be drunker than ole Cooter Brown. Why he's got more nerve than Carter's got Liver Pills. Probably thinks the sun rises just to hear him crow. Wonder if they are paying him enough money to burn a wet mule? Of course he could be too poor to paint and too proud to whitewash. Would be sad if he didn't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. Bet after a meal he and his wife save the dishes. I mean the dishes will die otherwise :) . Come to think of it, he might be a little off, you know, doesn't know whether to check his ass or scratch his watch. Who's that guy foolin', don't piss down my leg and tell me its raining. Thanks y'all.

If you want to hear some real southern lines listen to old Jerry Clower:

Leonard Fournette watches highlights of Jim Brown and
was jim brown a legend before he went to the nfl?

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jim-brown-1.html

i hear the stories from my old man about how great he was at SU, i believe them. but at SU, Ernie davis was better.

davis had .8 more YPC, 295 more rushing yards, 567 more yards from scrimmage, 3 more TD.

Check out that passer rating in 1956

Always very conflicted on Jim Brown. He threw a woman off a hotel balcony and has had numerous domestic violence issues. That whole going to prison thing when he didn't need to go. He never really gave a crap about SU. We had to kiss his ass to get him to come back and get involved. Than he tries to dictate our policies. He had former AD Gross in his pocket. He seems to like having people to talk about him this is why he wants his number retired. No one can doubt his talent on the football field. He was likely screwed on the Heisman because of racism. It is easy for me to say get over it because I personally haven't had to deal with this kind of situation. I just always felt like Jim Brown is a self centered jerk.

McNabb was always the perceived good guy with his donations to athletics and membership on the board of trustees. He was a good advocate in the community. He was always a good citizen at Syracuse. No major arrests or violence stuff. Yet now he seems to be a drunk and irresponsible goof.

Everything i have read about Ernie Davis makes it seem like the guy walked on water. Maybe Billy Joel was right in that only the good die young. Ernie didn't live long enough to make any waves.

I am far from perfect so I shouldn't expect our football icons to be the same. I admire their abilities on the field. But to make them saints is not fair to anyone involved.

Maybe they are legends but I am kind of tired of this hero worship.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom