Jim Jerome, Derrell Smith & other F Ball alums coming to Luke Cain's aid | Syracusefan.com

Jim Jerome, Derrell Smith & other F Ball alums coming to Luke Cain's aid

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
su%20player%20side%20by%20side.jpg

Story & Video One

Story & Video Two

Good. When I read this story, I thought "Where are all of his former teammates?"

There's obviously something seriously wrong with the guy and needs some psychiatric assistance. Guys who were once close to him should be able to push him in that direction.

In the comments section of the story Jim Jerome makes an appeal for clothing:

"I will tell you that Luke needs clothes as he only has 2 sets of clothes. He has size 12 shoes, a 38" waist & is an XL.He has no gloves either.The Oxford Inn assured me that they will secure his clothes as items tend to disappear."

I checked Luke's SUA bio and it lists him as 6 feet tall so I would guess he is either a 30 or 32" length with pants.

Jim is a neighboor of mine I'll try to find out what length Luke wears.

It's heart warming to see former players rally to his aid, Andre Fontenette and Derrick Corley are also among the alums pitching in.

In high School Luke Cain was the Washington DC Gatorade Player of the Year. To learn more about his SU & high school career check out his bio below.

Luke Cain's SUA Bio

OE, let Jim know that I have a pair of like new gloves and winter hats. Luke is roughly my same size and I have plenty of pants, shirts, sweatshirts, ect to give to him. Anything else he may need let me know and I can see if I can get it for him.

I'm no expert on homeless but I have been told nearly all homeless are on the streets because they have a mental disablilty or drug problem. Clothes are nice but only a temporary solution. He needs a counslor to identify his problem and provide solutions. Never give an addict money. There has to be someone on these forums that can help him get into the right programs.

my sample of one. worked with a guy who slowly started to lose it over time. paranoid schizo. wouldn't take any direction, thought everyone was out to get him, became totally obstinant to the point where they had to let him go. ended up living in his car sending crazy emails from library computers asking for a place to stay. would've liked to help the guy but i'm married (no kid yet) at the time, not putting my wife at risk. guy ended up getting in a fight with cops and thrown in jail where they could force him to take meds.

part of cain's problem is he's so strong that people who might want to take him in and help him might be scared to.

authorities can't get involved until they hurt someone because it's not illegal to be crazy and homeless

this is all assuming that he's mentally ill which may not be fair to him but generally, i think that's the case with people on the streets

This. Thread. Kicks. Ass.

Many thanks to OE for keeping this story front and center for us. I hope Luke Cain gets the help he needs. If anyone here starts organizing a collection of clothes from SyracuseFan, please count me in for a donation. This site is a powerful networking tool and can do wonders in situations like this.

Thanks again, OE. And thanks to Jim Kenyon for his story.

I'm no expert on homeless but I have been told nearly all homeless are on the streets because they have a mental disablilty or drug problem. Clothes are nice but only a temporary solution. He needs a counslor to identify his problem and provide solutions. Never give an addict money. There has to be someone on these forums that can help him get into the right programs.

This.

Does anyone watch intervention? These folks (Massive generalization on my part) can make BIG money, like 100+ a day. Sometimes as much as $150, that they immediately go and spend on their vices.

As mentioned, clothing is great, but guy wont progress past all of this until he gets real help, in the form of medical, counseling, rehab whatever it may be.

OE, let Jim know that I have a pair of like new gloves and winter hats. Luke is roughly my same size and I have plenty of pants, shirts, sweatshirts, ect to give to him. Anything else he may need let me know and I can see if I can get it for him.

Same. Give me sizes, an addy and let me know where I can send some stuff.

I would be happy to contribute on some level, with either $ for healthcare, clothes, etc. It would be a great gesture on the part of the members of this board if we were to establish some kind of fund to help this young man out, whatever the issues are.

Anyone know how to do such a thing?

Luke has to want counseling, which can be a huge problem. I wish I was licensed in NY or lived in the SU area so I could barter services with a clinician that would be a good fit. I will often do this with other providers... "I'll see your guy for free if you see mine for free" etc. But again, even if someone has all the money in the world, they can still refuse help. I unfortunately lost one of my best friends this past summer who was bipolar and would not take medication or get counseling. He comes from a wealthy family who tried to give him everything he needed, but it really was irrelevant.

Luke has to want counseling, which can be a huge problem. I wish I was licensed in NY or lived in the SU area so I could barter services with a clinician that would be a good fit. I will often do this with other providers... "I'll see your guy for free if you see mine for free" etc. But again, even if someone has all the money in the world, they can still refuse help. I unfortunately lost one of my best friends this past summer who was bipolar and would not take medication or get counseling. He comes from a wealthy family who tried to give him everything he needed, but it really was irrelevant.

This really hits the nail right on the head. The trouble with mental illness is most of the people afflicted do not want help because of their mental illness. Really rough catch 22. Actuially suprised it doesn't happen more often given that most young people wiht mental illness are diagnosed in their 20s. It brings up a good point to collect clothes for everyone at the Oxford Inn, not just Luke. Or at a shelter in your town.

I'm not an expert either, not even a novice. But I would think a lot of them just have no family to turn to. And as far as the mental disability, maybe it's a cause, but it seems to be that it would be an effect too. If I were to become homeless in my current state, I think we'd be saying bye bye to all of my mental health by about 9 pm on the first night. Just can't imagine it takes long at all.