Jimmy and Buddy | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jimmy and Buddy

When you are a fringe player only seeing short minutes JB does not have patience or room for error. Always a quick hook on those guys if they make a mental mistake. Thats where its kind of interesting. If hes only going to play 5-10 minutes a game what happens when he misses a three and then a rotation on D does he automatically sit for the rest of the night like anyone else would?
Yeah, this is the most interesting question for me as well. I think if there's any area where Buddy gets any kind of preferential treatment, it'll be getting the benefit of the doubt when he makes a mistake and not getting hooked, or if he does get hooked he may get "coached" and then get another chance later in the game.

Not saying this WILL happen, but I could definitely see it happening, more likely than JB just giving Buddy more minutes than he earns.

All I know is I can't coach my kids. Have had many opportunities, a few of them really really tough to turn down. I know it just wouldn't be fair to the kid. Things that I would never dream of saying to other kids, I say without hesitating. The smallest of mistakes seem amplified when they're on him. You gotta know yourself. JB's been doing this a long time, and I've not seen many coaches who understands his players and the dynamic of his team the way he always seems to. I have to think this wasn't a flippant decision and I'll be very surprised to see the kid play minutes that aren't clearly earned.

I think we'll see Buddy as more than a fringe player.

For his career absolutely.

As a freshman who knows? Need 1 more body to be able to redshirt him if he isn't really good right away and Tyus back. Golden signing would allow us to do this.

My guess is JB wants to get 1 really good season out of him. We don't have Andy Rautins in 2010 if he doesn't redshirt.

Other thing about Buddy is with our offense being inconsistant its about time we recruit someone who's clear cut best attribute is 3 point shooting. Seems like every team other than us has a couple of these guys. We've hardly had anyone like this since we joined the ACC.

No, but I’m sure some drama queen morons on message boards/social media will claim that he is as soon as he has a bad game.

If Buddy gets decent minutes there will be some saying he doesn’t deserve them and it’s only because his Dad is coach. If he plays very little there will be some saying he should play more and JB is trying to show he’s not playing favorites with his kid.

And either way, it’ll be some of the same people saying either.

Last edited:
I said this in another thread a few months ago, but I will say it again.

Jim did not want to recruit Buddy because of all the reasons mentioned in the previous posts here. However, the assistant coaches loved Buddy and his skills and his work ethic, and they wanted to offer him ... and they urged Jim that SU should offer him. Jim finally agreed.

Buddy is a great kid (I know him very well) and a true gym rat. He has been working out at the Melo Center for years. The assistant coaches know him and his talents very well. He was offered by Gonzaga and was seriously being recruited by Duke and other top programs...even though they sort of thought he would eventually go to SU.

Jim was a bit torn about Buddy coming here. But it was what Buddy wanted to do... and it was what the assistant coaches wanted. Knowing both Jim and Buddy, I am sure it will work out well.

Last edited:
Rautins redshirted because he tore his ACL.

I know that. If Battle goes pro he'll play next year. If he doesn't I think it will be considered. We have been rewarded by 5th year players who weren't great as freshmen having that extra year and being excellent seniors. Scoop, Cooney , Arinze, Andy etc. Huge seasons off all their 5th years. Rautins wasn't anything like the player he was as a senior his first 2 seasons. Never played as a freshman, played a lot as a Sophomore and struggled, redshirted, good as a JR, one of the best players in the country as a senior. Getting the extra year was a good thing.

Couple players who didn't play much as freshman we've wished had that extra year. 25-0 team would have been amazing with Southerland. He played less than Mookie Jones his freshman year on that great 2010 team.

I know that. If Battle goes pro he'll play next year. If he doesn't I think it will be considered. We have been rewarded by 5th year players who weren't great as freshmen having that extra year and being excellent seniors. Scoop, Cooney , Arinze, Andy etc. Huge seasons off all their 5th years. Rautins wasn't anything like the player he was as a senior his first 2 seasons. Never played as a freshman, played a lot as a Sophomore and struggled, redshirted, good as a JR, one of the best players in the country as a senior. Getting the extra year was a good thing.

Couple players who didn't play much as freshman we've wished had that extra year. 25-0 team would have been amazing with Southerland. He played less than Mookie Jones his freshman year on that great 2010 team.
You are making presumptions about his ability without seeing him play. Kid did really well in the EBL last year.

Yeah first you’re assuming he’s not going to be able to contribute his freshman year. Second, the guys you listed, with the exception of Cooney who was behind five other guards, redshirted because they got hurt. We don’t redshirt guys for developmental purposes for the most part.

Yeah first you’re assuming he’s not going to be able to contribute his freshman year. Second, the guys you listed, with the exception of Cooney who was behind five other guards, redshirted because they got hurt. We don’t redshirt guys for developmental purposes for the most part.
And we don't ordinarily redshirt unless the player wants to.

Yeah, this is the most interesting question for me as well. I think if there's any area where Buddy gets any kind of preferential treatment, it'll be getting the benefit of the doubt when he makes a mistake and not getting hooked, or if he does get hooked he may get "coached" and then get another chance later in the game.

Not saying this WILL happen, but I could definitely see it happening, more likely than JB just giving Buddy more minutes than he earns.

A lot of Syracuse players have fallen into this category over the years.

There is almost zero question about Buddy's shooting ability. He has good size for the top of our zone. As a coach's son (not the coach's son), he presumably will play smart. As the coach's son, he will presumably be ahead of most other frosh on knowing how to play the zone.

He played at a high level prep school, so he has experience against relatively high level competition.

There is absolutely no reason to think that Buddy will not be a very successful player in our program.

How big a role he may have as a frosh may be somewhat out of his hands. In other words, if we get enough three point shooting from others, Buddy's freshman year court time may be limited. However, if we end up needing more three point shooting, he just may carve out a larger niche than many on this forum are anticipating for him.

In terms of the question as to whether or not Jimmy will treat Buddy the same as other players, I think that is an impossible thing to ask of Jimmy. I actually expect Jimmy to demand more of Buddy than he will of most others. I expect Buddy to fulfill those demands.

Now in terms of Buddy getting the same quick hooks we so often see Jimmy give to younger and/or bench players, I am not sure if it will be exactly the same w Buddy or not, but what I will say, is that Jimmy will coach to win, and PT for Buddy will not get in the way of that.

There is almost zero question about Buddy's shooting ability. He has good size for the top of our zone. As a coach's son (not the coach's son), he presumably will play smart. As the coach's son, he will presumably be ahead of most other frosh on knowing how to play the zone.

He played at a high level prep school, so he has experience against relatively high level competition.

There is absolutely no reason to think that Buddy will not be a very successful player in our program.

How big a role he may have as a frosh may be somewhat out of his hands. In other words, if we get enough three point shooting from others, Buddy's freshman year court time may be limited. However, if we end up needing more three point shooting, he just may carve out a larger niche than many on this forum are anticipating for him.

In terms of the question as to whether or not Jimmy will treat Buddy the same as other players, I think that is an impossible thing to ask of Jimmy. I actually expect Jimmy to demand more of Buddy than he will of most others. I expect Buddy to fulfill those demands.

Now in terms of Buddy getting the same quick hooks we so often see Jimmy give to younger and/or bench players, I am not sure if it will be exactly the same w Buddy or not, but what I will say, is that Jimmy will coach to win, and PT for Buddy will not get in the way of that.

Criminey. The expectations of this kid are going to be insane by the time the season actually starts next year.

IF this does happen it will not be because JB is giving Buddy the "benefit of the doubt." It will be because JB trusts him more because he knows him better. JB's quick hook often is because he does not trust that the player will correct himself. We'll see how that develops with Buddy. One thing to remember, I don't think JB has ever coached one of his kids before. I could be wrong but I would imagine his schedule never allowed for it in any sport.

I have wondered aloud on this forum about the father-son dynamic, not to mention the family dynamic, and in the past have felt a little fretful about it. But now I am not in the least fretful. I am grateful for this interesting issue to occupy my mind when my thoughts go to SU basketball. So much better than Bazley screwing us or whether Battle returns or not! In fact, it’s rather a soothing issue for my mind to turn over as I ready myself for sleep. So much better than falling into a REM pattern and then startling awake with “BAZLEY!!”

I think Buddy will be a great player for us, and that it will be a great story for Syracuse Basketball.

4 straight NC's. JB retires. Runs for, and is elected Governor of NYS. New retractable dome is built with state money. Buddy takes the helm.

That's not expecting too much, is it?

You forgot to mention that Buddy will be the first player to ever dunk from behind the three point line causing the NCAA to finally move it back to FIBA depth, only to have him do it again from the new line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom