Jimmy At Center? | Syracusefan.com

Jimmy At Center?

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
From one of the Daily Orange articles:

"Jimmy Boeheim at… center?
For a brief stint against Le Moyne, Jimmy was playing in the middle of the 2-3 zone alongside Swider and Williams and behind Buddy and Girard. That lineup was something Boeheim said they wouldn’t use often, but one they have practiced for the sake of flexibility.

“Let’s say this: I’m hoping we don’t have to play that lineup,” Boeheim said."

I'd like to play poker with Boeheim sometime. JB is a terrible bluffer.
This will probably be our crunch time lineup by late in the year.

JBA and Sidibe are both injured and who knows when they can play. That leaves Jesse and Frank (Not the James brothers) to play center. Between their potential for foul trouble and if one were injured, someone will have to play the 5. You don't want to take one of the best 3 shooters in the country and put him down low. And, I don't think the coaches want to screw around with Benny's development as a wing by putting him at the 5. That leaves JBIII, and he has never played that spot so he needs some experience there for such circumstances as I laid out earlier.

From one of the Daily Orange articles:

"Jimmy Boeheim at… center?
For a brief stint against Le Moyne, Jimmy was playing in the middle of the 2-3 zone alongside Swider and Williams and behind Buddy and Girard. That lineup was something Boeheim said they wouldn’t use often, but one they have practiced for the sake of flexibility.

“Let’s say this: I’m hoping we don’t have to play that lineup,” Boeheim said."

I'd like to play poker with Boeheim sometime. JB is a terrible bluffer.
This will probably be our crunch time lineup by late in the year.

No way I don't see it Matt. Not this year. It was absolutely awful against two D2 teams. Especially defensively. Jimmy got one charge that should have been a block. He is worse than Marek on D in that role and worse on the boards. JB was quick and direct when replying that we wouldn't be using it much.

I like Jimmy and he is the ideal utility forward but he has zero instincts/skills as an SU 5.

No way I don't see it Matt. Not this year. It was absolutely awful against two D2 teams. Especially defensively. Jimmy got one charge that should have been a block. He is worse than Marek on D in that role and worse on the boards. JB was quick and direct when replying that we wouldn't be using it much.

I like Jimmy and he is the ideal utility forward but he has zero instincts/skills as an SU 5.
He would get manhandled against bigger teams at the 5 imo, especially on the boards... also he’s just not quick enough to cover the corner from the paint and really didn’t show much against smaller D2 teams that shows he would be effective there. As much as people want to point to the Boeheim favoritism claim, I can’t imagine that JAB could actually handle seeing much of Jimmy playing there, which is why he was quick to dismiss the possibility.

Nonetheless I still think Jimmy plays there situational throughout the year, but would agree we’re probably in trouble if we begin to see a lot of it.

Let's hope his dad sees it the same way as you and I do.

Did you know Sidibe is only two inches taller and weighs five pounds less than Jimmy? He can likely hold his own for a bit and by a few accounts here has a high basketball IQ. I like that at any point in the game.

It’s kinda like when I played little league and my dad was the coach. I had to play everyone position we had an absence. So instead of my typical second base, some nights I’d pitch, some night i’d Catch, short, first, whoever he needed me.

It’s kinda like when I played little league and my dad was the coach. I had to play everyone position we had an absence. So instead of my typical second base, some nights I’d pitch, some night i’d Catch, short, first, whoever he needed me.
Was there anybody else who could of played those positions instead of you, better than you? Because as of right now JBIII is the third center as the other 2 guys who might play center if needed, Sidibe and JBA, are injured and the coaches don't want to put Cole or Benny down low.

Was there anybody else who could of played those positions instead of you, better than you? Because as of right now JBIII is the third center as the other 2 guys who might play center if needed, Sidibe and JBA, are injured and the coaches don't want to put Cole or Benny down low.
And the coaches told you this when exactly?

And the coaches told you this when exactly?
Sidibe and JBA are injured, that's why their not playing. So, there is no 3rd center available for the foreseeable future. Do you want Cole or Benny to play down low? That is why JBIII is getting some time at the 5 in EXHIBITION GAMES.

Sidibe and JBA are injured, that's why their not playing. So, there is no 3rd center available for the foreseeable future. Do you want Cole or Benny to play down low? That is why JBIII is getting some time at the 5 in EXHIBITION GAMES.
And apparently not doing well at all. Maybe the coaches will want to see how the others do in the next game. But I won’t pretend I actually know what the coaches are thinking

And apparently not doing well at all. Maybe the coaches will want to see how the others do in the next game. But I won’t pretend I actually know what the coaches are thinking
If you've watched much Syracuse basketball, as I know you have, then you know Frank and Jesse could foul out by the end of the first half. You can't put Cole there and take away his 3 ball and Benny is too much of an asset to screw up his wing development by putting him there. Hopefully J&F stay healthy and don't get into foul trouble and JBIII doesn't see any or much time at center.

If you've watched much Syracuse basketball, as I know you have, then you know Frank and Jesse could foul out by the end of the first half. You can't put Cole there and take away his 3 ball and Benny is too much of an asset to screw up his wing development by putting him there. Hopefully J&F stay healthy and don't get into foul trouble and JBIII doesn't see any or much time at center.
Are you afraid Swider will foul out if he takes spot minutes at the 5? Or are you afraid him playing the 5 on D means he has to post up on offense? That’s not how SU hoops works

Are you afraid Swider will foul out if he takes spot minutes at the 5? Or are you afraid him playing the 5 on D means he has to post up on offense? That’s not how SU hoops works
I think Swider needs to learn his zone defensive responsibilities on the perimeter as fast as possible. And yes, if he played down low opposing coaches would try to get him in foul trouble to get him on the bench, take his shooting off the floor. This shouldn't be an issue as the season goes on and Sid or JBA become available.

I can't help but chuckle my email pops up this morning with an invite for "Brunch with Joe". It's of course an executive in our company doing small group chats. That said it appears my email box is asking for a timeout.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom