Jimmy At Center? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jimmy At Center?

From one of the Daily Orange articles:

"Jimmy Boeheim at… center?
For a brief stint against Le Moyne, Jimmy was playing in the middle of the 2-3 zone alongside Swider and Williams and behind Buddy and Girard. That lineup was something Boeheim said they wouldn’t use often, but one they have practiced for the sake of flexibility.

“Let’s say this: I’m hoping we don’t have to play that lineup,” Boeheim said."

I'd like to play poker with Boeheim sometime. JB is a terrible bluffer.
This will probably be our crunch time lineup by late in the year.
I think this is the lineup when we are trailing by a significant number and offense is the primary focus, as opposed to defense. Say, down 10 with 10 minutes left or something similar (or every SU game ever at the Dean Smith Center).

But not quite time for the press, just yet.

Last edited:
Swider has a better chance of playing the top of the zone than ever playing in the middle. JB will have to be desperate to play junior in the middle of the zone. He likes to win and junior doesn’t fit that narrative playing center on defense.

Swider has a better chance of playing the top of the zone than ever playing in the middle. JB will have to be desperate to play junior in the middle of the zone. He likes to win and junior doesn’t fit that narrative playing center on defense.
Yeah, after watching Swider for 2 (meaningless) games, he plays more like a guard than a center. I think Juniors experiment at center is aimed at Duke, UNC, and Fla St. Teams that play man with bigs that you want to take out of the paint. My hope is that it’s not needed.

Was there anybody else who could of played those positions instead of you, better than you? Because as of right now JBIII is the third center as the other 2 guys who might play center if needed, Sidibe and JBA, are injured and the coaches don't want to put Cole or Benny down low.
Unfortunately not as good as me team wasn’t big enough to have multiple stars at each position. I much preferred second base all the time but I did what my dad/coach wanted.

JB says lots of stuff in the moment. I wont be surprised if we continue to see JBIII at the 5 situationally all season. I will be surprised if he gets extended minutes there.
It's really about your personal definition of "extended minutes." I'd love to say Jimmy won't play a single minute at the 5. But I've watched players from Marty Byrnes, Dale Shackelford, Sean Kerins and JB Reafsnyder to Terence Roberts, Tyler Lydon and Marek Dolezaj play the 5 and there is not a center among them. Its so early its not funny. But you can't tell me that Jimmy can't provide what Kerins and Reafsnyder did on defense for 7+ minutes per game. If it doesn't happen it probably means the James Brothers (love that whoever thought of it first!) are staying out of foul trouble and contributing offensively to the point that SU is rarely trailing. That would be awesome!

JBIII at center is worthless. If Sidibe is able to go in 4 weeks we should not see that lineup again. It worked against LaFayette but will not work against Atlantis Teams or ACC Teams. It ruins our Zone defenese on the wings as there is no quickness to block the shot at the foul line. I saw it and it puts too much stress on our guards to prevent dribble penetration. They lay off to prevent that and allow uncontested 3s. If we press, we would have a big guy waiting at the rim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom