jimmy boeheim | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

jimmy boeheim

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could see that. Jimmy isn't going to make basketball a career like Buddy. Why come here to be a backup unless there's some compelling educational reason to do so? Maybe theres some business program Hofstra has and he can pair it with being The Man on the court.
To play for your dad and with your little brother?

“Slow afoot” sounds like a recipe for a weak zone. Perhaps the best choice given the lack of athleticism but I don’t see it forcing turnovers, weak side contesting and rebounding, late close outs etc.
'Slow afoot' reminds me of the hoops I regularly play. Often I'll get matched up with a younger more agile player and he'll break out a crossover hoping that I take the bait and he'll go back the other way breaking my ankles. What they always fail to recognize is that by the time they are coming back in the original direction, I still haven't reacted and am sitting there in great defensive position. They think my lack of speed is just uncanny positioning.

'Slow afoot' reminds me of the hoops I regularly play. Often I'll get matched up with a younger more agile player and he'll break out a crossover hoping that I take the bait and he'll go back the other way breaking my ankles. What they always fail to recognize is that by the time they are coming back in the original direction, I still haven't reacted and am sitting there in great defensive position. They think my lack of speed is just uncanny positioning.
This reminds of the last time I played. I got switched off onto the guy who is 10-years younger than me and by far the quickest/best ball handler we play with. He made a crossover move and was by me so fast I couldn't even react. But, I knew this guy never passes so I just turned, sprinted to the backboard and jumped. I never even saw him or the ball, but by sheer luck I timed it perfect and pinned his shot to the backboard. All the dudes playing went nuts. I didn't even react, I just passed the ball and ran back to offense knowing I had just been completely embarrassed.

To play for your dad and with your little brother?

I could see that some kids might find that to be a toxic atmosphere as well and not worth the accompanying hassle. Would you as the older brother want to come and play second fiddle to your younger brother?

And Jimmy could have come here for free 4 years ago as a walk-on. He wanted to blaze his own trail. That's just part of his personality and could have an impact on his transfer decision. Playing for dad may not be his dream.

I could see that some kids might find that to be a toxic atmosphere as well and not worth the accompanying hassle. Would you as the older brother want to come and play second fiddle to your younger brother?
If it’s playing for my father at a school o probably dreamed of playing at my entire life, yes.

Hofstra would be interesting from a basketball perspective. A-10 team. They usually are guard heavy so having a big forward probably jives well with them.

If it’s playing for my father at a school o probably dreamed of playing at my entire life, yes.

I've answered that above. As the kid of a SU employee, Jimmy could have come here 4 years ago for free and played as a walk-on if that was his dream but didn't. If not for covid, there isn't even a discussion of any of this stuff. He just graduates after playing four years at Cornell. Some kids like to blaze their own trail and I could see that factoring into his transfer decision.

So you’re comparing this to playing against Syracuse level competition..

I've answered that above. As the kid of a SU employee, Jimmy could have come here 4 years ago for free and played as a walk-on if that was his dream but didn't. If not for covid, there isn't even a discussion of any of this stuff. He just graduates after playing four years at Cornell. Some kids like to blaze their own trail and I could see that factoring into his transfer decision.
Having a dream of playing division one basketball and having one of playing for Syracuse aren’t mutually exclusive. You might not be wrong but nobody knows his thought process besides him.

I’ll only be surprised if he goes elsewhere because the insiders here have been saying it’s a done deal for weeks.

So if AG sticks around, is he looking at more of a guard role? Could JB convince him to come off the bench and play a Dion type role for us as well as play up top defensively?
This is what I’m hoping for. I love that AG has the ability to play G/F.

I could see that. Jimmy isn't going to make basketball a career like Buddy. Why come here to be a backup unless there's some compelling educational reason to do so? Maybe theres some business program Hofstra has and he can pair it with being The Man on the court.
Maybe to play for his hall of fame father and little brother?

Do guys on the current roster know Jimmy? I know in prior years, I read he'd play in the summer/off season runs at the Melo Center. After the annual Syracuse/Cornell games, I saw a lot of smiles/hugs after the game with Jimmy and the 'Cuse guys.

That initial decision was 4 years ago. 4 years later the circumstances are different and after having done what he set out to do his decision does not have to be the same.

Do guys on the current roster know Jimmy? I know in prior years, I read he'd play in the summer/off season runs at the Melo Center. After the annual Syracuse/Cornell games, I saw a lot of smiles/hugs after the game with Jimmy and the 'Cuse guys.
Yes they do

Yes...id imagine he has played against all of them often. The coaches also know what Jimmy is capable of and have seen him a lot. They wouldn't bring him in if they didn't think he could help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom