Jimmy Fallon returns the Tonight show to NYC | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jimmy Fallon returns the Tonight show to NYC

The fact they changed the name to The Tonight Show STARRING Jimmy Fallon

Tonightshowtitlecard1980s.jpg

It used to be "starring" pre and during Carson...they just went back to it because they went "back" to NY and wanted an old feel...so you are wrong about that

I have autographs of people who have been to LA
Dude no offense, but I don't appreciate the passive aggressive joke like the dude with Danny Schayes thread. I know what the hell I am talking about and don't appreciate this joke.

Well Kimmel still has Conan to contend with in LA, but otherwise you have a good point. I do think you underestimate how many stars live in NYC though. Not as many as LA but still, NYC has a ton of stars wandering around town, and even a ton of big movie stars spend plenty of time there doing Broadway.
I agree Conan will get decent guests in LA, but Kimmel will have network show, and will be the only 11:30 game in LA. I understand stars live in NYC, and Fallon/Letterman will continue getting plenty of A list guests. I am just saying it will be easier for Kimmel to get stars in LA than having to go across the country to be on prime time talk shows.

corporate stooge. Where would you rank leno on that scale?
Leno was a HUGE corporate stooge. He did whatever NBC wanted, but I blame his agent Helen Kushnick for sniping the job from Letterman in 1991 and him becoming that stooge. Leno was only popular because Middle America liked his safe boring schtick. I would rate Fallon one level above Leno because he is even more of a corporate NBC stooge than Leno. Lorne Michaels will make sure Jimmy is successful, but it doesn't mean he isn't a corporate stooge.

Last edited:
My girlfriend and I are under 30 and we love Fallon. His monologues aren't great, but his musical numbers and general sense of fun really drive the show.
Listen, to each their own if you like Fallon I am happy for you. However, I am giving my opinion and bringing reasons for my positions. I would rather sit thru a marathon of Sex in the City with my girlfriend and be tortured with that crap than sit thru 1 episode of Jimmy Fallon.

Dude no offense, but I don't appreciate the passive aggressive joke like the dude with Danny Schayes thread. I know what the hell I am talking about and don't appreciate this joke.

LOL

Chill a little. It's an internet board. Not the Hague.

Chill a little. It's an internet board. Not the Hague.
I can take a joke, but when I am compared to the idiot who decided to give up on the board and make himself look like a fool who has no idea what the hell he was talking about. When I am compared to that crazy it can give the perception I am the same the type of person. I won't let the perception be allowed to be formed. Make of fun of my opinion fine, but what I have said is legit. If I can't stick up for myself then its pointless. Jeez.

You're not going to be laughing much longer when you realize that Alsacs is actually NBC Entertainment Chairman Robert Greenblatt.

BobGreenblatt1.jpg
I wish I was the Chairman. I have represented NBC/Universal before I can say that.

Listen, to each their own if you like Fallon I am happy for you. However, I am giving my opinion and bringing reasons for my positions. I would rather sit thru a marathon of s e x in the City with my girlfriend and be tortured with that crap than sit thru 1 episode of Jimmy Fallon.

You don't like him, that's fine. You know people who work in Los Angeles who know people who don't like him, that's fine.

But to fight so hard to establish a position over a to-each-his-own opinion question of non-importance is why you're getting so much crap.

You don't like him, that's fine. You know people who work in Los Angeles who know people who don't like him, that's fine.

But to fight so hard to establish a position over a to-each-his-own opinion question of non-importance is why you're getting so much crap.
I have no problem with others liking him. I have never said nobody should like guy. I said he was shoved down our throats by Lorne Michaels like he is the greatest when he hasn't earned that yet. I honestly don't care if people disagree with me, but when I am attacked like I am nutjob I defend myself. I am glad you like the guy truly, but I consider the late show options like this.
1. Jimmy Kimmel
2. Stephen Colbert
3. Jon Stewart
4. Conan O'Brien
5. David Letterman
6. Jimmy Fallon.

I have no problem with others liking him. I have never said nobody should like guy. I said he was shoved down our throats by Lorne Michaels like he is the greatest when he hasn't earned that yet. I honestly don't care if people disagree with me, but when I am attacked like I am nutjob I defend myself. I am glad you like the guy truly, but I consider the late show options like this.
1. Jimmy Kimmel
2. Stephen Colbert
3. Jon Stewart
4. Conan O'Brien
5. David Letterman
6. Jimmy Fallon.

For the record, I liked John Oliver as the host of the Daily Show almost more than Jon Stewart.

For the record, I liked John Oliver as the host of the Daily Show almost more than Jon Stewart.
I agree with that 100%. FWIW, a little insider information here Stewart's deal with Viacom expires in 2014 and his agent James " Baby Doll" Dixon kinda strong armed Oliver out of the Daily Show. So Viacom couldn't undercut the negotiations. Dixon got Oliver a show on HBO to leave the Daily Show quietly so Viacom wouldn't have leverage with Stewart in contract negotiations. Stewart went to film that movie in the Middle East because the project interested him, but he also gambled that the ratings wouldn't stay high with Oliver, but in fact they were slightly better with Oliver. That is why Oliver was quietly pushed out so quickly so Stewart wasn't sniped. I think Oliver may be a contender to replace David Letterman in the near future.

Alsacs said:
Listen, to each their own if you like Fallon I am happy for you. However, I am giving my opinion and bringing reasons for my positions. I would rather sit thru a marathon of Sex in the City with my girlfriend and be tortured with that crap than sit thru 1 episode of Jimmy Fallon.

And that is your opinion. Others have their own and many would not agree with yours. To each their own. In the end, the only position that matters is if a person enjoys the show. The rest is just details and noise.

I said he was shoved down our throats by Lorne Michaels like he is the greatest when he hasn't earned that yet.

Assuming you have some connection to the TV industry, why on Earth does this bother you so much? It happens all the time. Do you really think TV is some kind of meritocracy?

Assuming you have some connection to the TV industry, why on Earth does this bother you so much? It happens all the time. Do you really think TV is some kind of meritocracy?

Stewart made the Daily Show what is now. He wasn't shoved down our throats. He took over for Kilborn and actually made the show awesome. He made himself relevant, and was so good that he allowed Colbert to steal some spotlight and create his own persona for his Bill O'Reilly spoof the Colbert Report. Kimmel worked his ass off at ABC and had no help and Jay Leno's people playing hard ball with all the celebrity agents he could in 2003 and Kimmel was good enough on his own to earn the respect of the Hollywood elite with his comedy and schtick to be successful. Letterman was Carson's 12:30 show and earned his spot on CBS because he was funny and nobody shoved him down our throats. Leno's agent got him the Tonight Show and whether I think he was funny or not and I didn't find him funny he got the people in Middle America to like him and be number 1 show.

NBC F'ed Conan O'Brien so badly its why I am mad about Jimmy Fallon. I don't think O'Brien is the greatest, but he made himself good enough that he earned the Tonight Show. Conan got no support from NBC when he started Late Night after Letterman left and did a good enough job that Letterman agreed to be a guest on Conan's show to show he deserved the respect. Conan when he got the Tonight Show agreed to move from NYC to LA when he didn't want to uproot his family, but did so for the benefit of the Hollywood stars doing the show in LA. Conan's team at the Tonight Show did not get the support that Lorne Michaels has gotten for Jimmy Fallon at NBC. Michaels power in NBC is why Fallon got to stay in NYC and get the Tonight Show. Conan was given the Tonight Show for 7 months before he was jettisoned when NBC F'ed him giving Jay Leno the HORRIBLE 10pm show which KILLED his lead in for the Tonight Show. Fallon's first show rating was NOT better than Conan's first show and Fallon HAS HAD WAY MORE PROMOTION from NBC than Conan got, and he had the Olympics as his lead in over the horrible Jay Leno show.

If Fallon worked his way up without Lorne Michaels machine I would have more respect for him, but he is shielded from any adversity because of Lorne Michaels protection. To each their own if Fallon is liked by some fine I am not going to tell you he isn't funny because that is subjective. However, he hasn't built his empire like Stewart, O'Brien, Kimmel all had to do and that is why I don't like the guy's show. If others do I am glad they enjoy it.

Alsacs said:
I have no problem with others liking him. I have never said nobody should like guy. I said he was shoved down our throats by Lorne Michaels like he is the greatest when he hasn't earned that yet. I honestly don't care if people disagree with me, but when I am attacked like I am nutjob I defend myself. I am glad you like the guy truly, but I consider the late show options like this. 1. Jimmy Kimmel 2. Stephen Colbert 3. Jon Stewart 4. Conan O'Brien 5. David Letterman 6. Jimmy Fallon.

I don't see how he was shoved down "our" throat. I saw him on my TV one night, thought he was funny and a breath of fresh air. Nobody made me watch him.

Stewart made the Daily Show what is now. He wasn't shoved down our throats. He took over for Kilborn and actually made the show awesome. He made himself relevant, and was so good that he allowed Colbert to steal some spotlight and create his own persona for his Bill O'Reilly spoof the Colbert Report. Kimmel worked his ass off at ABC and had no help and Jay Leno's people playing hard ball with all the celebrity agents he could in 2003 and Kimmel was good enough on his own to earn the respect of the Hollywood elite with his comedy and schtick to be successful. Letterman was Carson's 12:30 show and earned his spot on CBS because he was funny and nobody shoved him down our throats. Leno's agent got him the Tonight Show and whether I think he was funny or not and I didn't find him funny he got the people in Middle America to like him and be number 1 show.

NBC F'ed Conan O'Brien so badly its why I am mad about Jimmy Fallon. I don't think O'Brien is the greatest, but he made himself good enough that he earned the Tonight Show. Conan got no support from NBC when he started Late Night after Letterman left and did a good enough job that Letterman agreed to be a guest on Conan's show to show he deserved the respect. Conan when he got the Tonight Show agreed to move from NYC to LA when he didn't want to uproot his family, but did so for the benefit of the Hollywood stars doing the show in LA. Conan's team at the Tonight Show did not get the support that Lorne Michaels has gotten for Jimmy Fallon at NBC. Michaels power in NBC is why Fallon got to stay in NYC and get the Tonight Show. Conan was given the Tonight Show for 7 months before he was jettisoned when NBC F'ed him giving Jay Leno the HORRIBLE 10pm show which KILLED his lead in for the Tonight Show. Fallon's first show rating was NOT better than Conan's first show and Fallon HAS HAD WAY MORE PROMOTION from NBC than Conan got, and he had the Olympics as his lead in over the horrible Jay Leno show.

If Fallon worked his way up without Lorne Michaels machine I would have more respect for him, but he is shielded from any adversity because of Lorne Michaels protection. To each their own if Fallon is liked by some fine I am not going to tell you he isn't funny because that is subjective. However, he hasn't built his empire like Stewart, O'Brien, Kimmel all had to do and that is why I don't like the guy's show. If others do I am glad they enjoy it.

I disagree with some of what you said, but it's really not worth arguing over. Thanks for the reply.

I don't see how he was shoved down "our" throat. I saw him on my TV one night, thought he was funny and a breath of fresh air. Nobody made me watch him.
I am glad you like him. I disagree, but that is your opinion and I have given mine. No reason we can't agree to disagree.

Without more proof, I don't believe you liked him without being made to watch him.

Alsacs said:
I am glad you like him. I disagree, but that is your opinion and I have given mine. No reason we can't agree to disagree.

And I said the same. We each have our own opinion of him. But you seem to get hot under the collar if others do like him. Almost like you take it personally.

And I said the same. We each have our own opinion of him. But you seem to get hot under the collar if others do like him. Almost like you take it personally.
I get hot about the Lorne Michaels machinery crap. I don't find Fallon funny, but I don't it personally if others find him funny. I was challenged about the Brooklyn Nine-Nine crap and responded, and then I got a passive aggressive dig like I was the Danny Schayes guy and was heated there, but I don't care if people disagree with him. I respond strongly when I feel I am taken and of context and made the butt of a not funny joke attempt.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom