Jimmy Jackson | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jimmy Jackson

Obviously a very minor thing after the loss last night but...

Did anyone catch when Jimmy Jackson said that his only visits when he was in HS where to Ohio St and SU, where DC was his host, and that he and Kenny Anderson were “supposed to go to Syracuse” but then Kenny went to Georgia Tech and Jackson implied that pushed him to Ohio State.
Could you imagine if that had happened? Our 89-90 team would have been ridiculous. My freshman year.

DC
Billy
Stevie
LeRon Ellis
Kenny Anderson
Jimmy Jackson
Dave Johnson

Wow.

Did you also notice that he was wearing Orange and White sneakers with his suit?

You really have to wonder what level of bag drop Anderson received to push a New York City kid away from a powerhouse , championship level always on TV (not everyone was In those days) New York State program getting near 30k fans on the regular ... to the Deep South step child of the ACC program .. I mean in today’s dollars it must have been at least 500k

I think there was an article about this recently [i.e., within the last 3 years], where Anderson talked about the enormity of the offer that swung him to GT.

Sucks. Perhaps the biggest recruiting "miss" of all time, given the team we had coming back.

I'll never forget watching Kenny Anderson score 50 easy points in an Empire State game - if he comes to Syracuse we win the National Championship - the only thing we lacked on that team was a PG - it would have been glorious...
Yes sir. I watched that same game at Manley. Might be the greatest in person performance I’ve seen.

This all reminds me when there used to be a thing called the National Sports Festival and it happened to be held in Syracuse in the summer of 1981. Kind of an olympics type thing with all of the summer sports. The basketball was split into four regional teams and all of the top recruits that would be freshmen in the Fall were there. The games were played at Manley. Ewing and Mullin were probably the two most hyped guys. There was this other skinny guy about 6'6" who was athletic as hell but nowhere near as hyped as some of the other guys. It was kind of his coming out party. About nine months later he went on to hit the game winning shot in the national finals.

This all reminds me when there used to be a thing called the National Sports Festival and it happened to be held in Syracuse in the summer of 1981. Kind of an olympics type thing with all of the summer sports. The basketball was split into four regional teams and all of the top recruits that would be freshmen in the Fall were there. The games were played at Manley. Ewing and Mullin were probably the two most hyped guys. There was this other skinny guy about 6'6" who was athletic as hell but nowhere near as hyped as some of the other guys. It was kind of his coming out party. About nine months later he went on to hit the game winning shot in the national finals.
And the best PG playing in that competition was--Kim Mulkey.

I was watching a boxing match at the NSF that year. A few rows in front of me, at ringside was Sugar Ray Leonard, doing some color commentary. Mark Breland, our top amateur, was punching a guy's lights out in the ring. I looked around and spotted Eric Heiden, the guy who won 5 speed skating medals at the Lake Placid Olympics and Kurt Thomas who was our top gymnast at the time. I also remember Reggie Jackson doing baseball commentary, (MLB was on strike) and they had a segment on the news of him trying to bat a ball high enough to hit the Dome roof. Probably the last time that many World Class athletes were in this burg was for the 1961 NBA All-Star game and that was only one sport.

I think there was an article about this recently [i.e., within the last 3 years], where Anderson talked about the enormity of the offer that swung him to GT.

Sucks. Perhaps the biggest recruiting "miss" of all time, given the team we had coming back.

So, Kenny Anderson's mom stating that "Jim Boeheim is cold and his city is cold" wasn't the real reason? ;):)

You really have to wonder what level of bag drop Anderson received to push a New York City kid away from a powerhouse , championship level always on TV (not everyone was In those days) New York State program getting near 30k fans on the regular ... to the Deep South step child of the ACC program .. I mean in today’s dollars it must have been at least 500k
Supposedly Anderson's mom was totally captivated by Bobby Cremins on his in home visit and pushed Kenny to GT. Either him or the suitcase of cash he brought with him. That guy could sell ice to Eskimos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom