JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse

I think Bell will be the leading scorer at like 14-17 with JJ a couple points behind. After that its shaping up like a bunch of guys averaging between 8-12. As mentioned Freeman is a bit of a wild card there.
Not sure why everyone seems to question Freeman. It’s not like we haven’t had a number of freshman average 14 or more, most of whom were much lower rated than Freeman. Think off the top of my head, Greene, Moten, Brissett, Mintz, GMac, Ennis, etc. Put me down for expecting 15-16 and 7 boards.

Not sure why everyone seems to question Freeman. It’s not like we haven’t had a number of freshman average 14 or more, most of whom were much lower rated than Freeman. Think off the top of my head, Greene, Moten, Brissett, Mintz, GMac, Ennis, etc. Put me down for expecting 15-16 and 7 boards.
2024 Class
#1 PF. 9th overall

Using the last 3 years top 3 ranked Pf's these were the averages I found. 11.2 PTS, 5.5 REB, that seems about right. Putting on another 10-15lb this offseason will be critical to shorten the learning curve

2024 Class
#1 PF. 9th overall

Using the last 3 years top 3 ranked Pf's these were the averages I found. 11.2 PTS, 5.5 REB, that seems about right. Putting on another 10-15lb this offseason will be critical to shorten the learning curve
Interesting methodology, I did something similar comparing Freeman to recent to Syracuse power forwards.

One difference for Freeman is that his most developed skill is his scoring. He might surprise everyone with how good he is at getting a basket on demand, and in a variety of circumstances.

I expect Oshae Brissett type numbers with much better efficiency.
I think his best comparisons are McCullough and Greene, similarly athletic and scoring focused big forwards.

Brisset had insanely good rebounding numbers, and quite inefficient scoring. I'm hoping Freeman has better than Brisset's career .484 TS%. Conversely, I would be stunned if he matched Brisset's 19% defensive rebounding.

My dream would be Donte Greene's .531 TS% on pretty heavy usage. Greene was very focused on shooting threes, though... I think Freeman will be a better inside scorer, and likely won't be asked to carry the load like Greene was after Devendorf got injured. If Freeman can shoot 50% on twos and 35% on threes, we are in for a very good season.

Will have a team of guys who can hit open threes, even if it's not their best offensive skill.

As long as they can move the ball and take wise shots in rhythm, we might be a very high scoring team.

I think his best comparisons are McCullough and Greene, similarly athletic and scoring focused big forwards.

Brisset had insanely good rebounding numbers, and quite inefficient scoring. I'm hoping Freeman has better than Brisset's career .484 TS%. Conversely, I would be stunned if he matched Brisset's 19% defensive rebounding.

My dream would be Donte Greene's .531 TS% on pretty heavy usage. Greene was very focused on shooting threes, though... I think Freeman will be a better inside scorer, and likely won't be asked to carry the load like Greene was after Devendorf got injured. If Freeman can shoot 50% on twos and 35% on threes, we are in for a very good season.

Will have a team of guys who can hit open threes, even if it's not their best offensive skill.

As long as they can move the ball and take wise shots in rhythm, we might be a very high scoring team.
531 TS% isn't good. Hopefully it's in the high 50's. We need him to be more efficient than Donte and Better than McCullough who did nothing against good competition.

I think the opposite, I think if he's third or fourth option then it go could go your way or the complete opposite and we have a Benny freshman situation.

I think Freeman is the real deal though. I really don't see how he's not our most complete player, if he's not I think we may be in trouble, we don't have one good defender outside of him
But if he’s all we got, other teams will crash down on him
Last I checked our inside presence is… Lampkin… and Naheem.
Which limits us around the rim.
One and done trips down the floor are our undoing.

But if he’s all we got, other teams will crash down on him
Last I checked our inside presence is… Lampkin… and Naheem.
Which limits us around the rim.
One and done trips down the floor are our undoing.
What makes you think Lampkin is weak . I think he will do very well. I think we will have our most balanced offense in a long time.

531 TS% isn't good. Hopefully it's in the high 50's. We need him to be more efficient than Donte and Better than McCullough who did nothing against good competition.
McCullough was injured before he really got going. He played pretty well for a guy's first 16 games. I know I was devastated when he was injured, as I really thought he was going to be good. Through his first half a season, he averaged 9.6 points 6.9 rebounds and 2.1 blocks, certainly a decent start. I would be mildly disappointed if Freeman puts up that kind of line, but certainly not ready to call him a bust.

On your other point, a TS of .531 isn't great until you consider Brisset only had a career .481 TS. Guys like Mintz (.524) Filipowski (.534) and RJ Barrett (.532) were major freshman contributors on about that kind of TS%.

Freeman's efficiency will depend a lot on his usage... If he's disciplined enough to only shoot when he's open, only drive and post up when he's got a clear advantage over his defender, his usage will be low, but his efficiency will be very high. I think we'd prefer the middle of the road if his aggressiveness creates enough success, even if his TS% is a little low. A lot depends on how good everybody else on the team is doing.

What makes you think Lampkin is weak . I think he will do very well. I think we will have our most balanced offense in a long time.
Can he play 40 minutes?
What if he gets hurt?
We have… how many on scholarship?
We’re putting a lot of faith in JJ (this thread), Bell, Freeman (main tangent), and Lampkin (my comment).

Can he play 40 minutes?
What if he gets hurt?
We’re putting a lot of faith in JJ (this thread), Bell, Freeman (main tangent), and Lampkin (my comment).
Show me a center in college that is playing 40 mins?

McCullough was injured before he really got going. He played pretty well for a guy's first 16 games. I know I was devastated when he was injured, as I really thought he was going to be good. Through his first half a season, he averaged 9.6 points 6.9 rebounds and 2.1 blocks, certainly a decent start. I would be mildly disappointed if Freeman puts up that kind of line, but certainly not ready to call him a bust.

On your other point, a TS of .531 isn't great until you consider Brisset only had a career .481 TS. Guys like Mintz (.524) Filipowski (.534) and RJ Barrett (.532) were major freshman contributors on about that kind of TS%.

Freeman's efficiency will depend a lot on his usage... If he's disciplined enough to only shoot when he's open, only drive and post up when he's got a clear advantage over his defender, his usage will be low, but his efficiency will be very high. I think we'd prefer the middle of the road if his aggressiveness creates enough success, even if his TS% is a little low. A lot depends on how good everybody else on the team is doing.
I think Freeman will have a different role than CMac. Team is much more balanced and CMac didn't understand the physical skills he had. Freeman should be a stud assuming he stays healthy and he understands that he can score and contribute in many different ways.

Can he play 40 minutes?
What if he gets hurt?
No. But we will have enough offense when he is off the floor. We aren't going to be a machine. But we will be pretty good on offense.

I think Bell will be the leading scorer at like 14-17 with JJ a couple points behind. After that its shaping up like a bunch of guys averaging between 8-12. As mentioned Freeman is a bit of a wild card there.

I have difficulty envisioning anyone other than JJ being the leading scorer.

I expect him to step into the Mintz role of being the focal point, only with better shooting [and hopefully more efficiency]. He's also playing with a better lead guard than either he or Mintz played with last year, a legit inside presence [Lampkin], and a couple of complimentary shooters [Bell / Taylor], who hopefully provide a little bit more than what our anemic-shooting squad from last year was able to lean upon.

I expect Bell to up his scoring a few points, as well, but think that JJ will be "the man" from the jump.

I think Freeman will have a different role than CMac. Team is much more balanced and CMac didn't understand the physical skills he had. Freeman should be a stud assuming he stays healthy and he understands that he can score and contribute in many different ways.
The Olympic experience will be great for Freeman. Playing with talent and finding other ways to contribute besides scoring.

I'll co-sign your take.

Yeah, me too. I also tend to think that if he isn't the leading scorer, we might be in trouble (unless it's simply because a guy like Freeman plays beast mode).

JJ is going to be given first shot to drive the Orange bus surrounded by shooters.

If he struggles, we’ll turn to Carlos.
Can’t see it. If he’s gonna be the leading scorer, he won’t make much of a distributor. He showed little to no instinct for it last year. We’re much better off with him concentrating on his scoring, and a true point like Carlos running the show. And I really don’t hold out much hope thst Taylor will be a major contributor. He’s done virtually nothing vs P5 teams either at Wake or Ga St.

I expect him to step into the Mintz role of being the focal point, only with better shooting [and hopefully more efficiency]. He's also playing with a better lead guard than either he or Mintz played with last year, a legit inside presence [Lampkin], and a couple of complimentary shooters [Bell / Taylor], who hopefully provide a little bit more than what our anemic-shooting squad from last year was able to lean upon.

I expect Bell to up his scoring a few points, as well, but think that JJ will be "the man" from the jump.
I think it will be Bell. Especially if Lampkin is as good a passer as he says he is.

JJ is going to be given first shot to drive the Orange bus surrounded by shooters.

Smh. I love JJ and I think he’s going to have a really big year, but he’s not a PG. He’s actually going to benefit the most from Carlos being a real PG dishing to him and Bell and Lampkin. I think Westry is the player with the best passing skills and instincts who if healthy can play backup PG.

Last edited:

I'm not shocked that this is the current plan, it may change as the offseason evolves. I hope that when its not working and Carlos comes in that JJ slides over rather than sits. I feel like JJ would benefit greatly by playing with a more traditional PG. I'm not sold on asking JJ to play a new position especially a position where court awareness is so important as I feel that is JJ's biggest weakness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom