JJ Starling | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling

I really expected more from JJ this year. His all around game was disappointing. I have little confidence in him shooting threes. He tends to miss a lot of shots at the rim too. His pull up, mid range is his best attribute. He has no left hand and his defense is poor. Offensively, he got better as the year went on and hopefully he has a great off season and becomes more consistent and well rounded.
I do think you have to give him credit for his improvement throughout the season. In the beginning of the season I was shocked at how poorly he was playing. But he kept after it and kept improving. Unlike a number of the members of our team he was always poised and played hard. He clearly took to Red's coaching and always looked to get the ball up the court.

He has obvious stuff to work on. He needs to learn to dribble and shoot/finish with his left hand. His jumper is significantly improved but remains a work in progress. His defense is not good enough, especially when he has to go around picks. He needs to take better care of the ball and look to pass earlier.

But JJ is a gamer and is invested. He cares and by all counts is a good teammate. He is young for his grade and is an elite athlete. Most of all he cares and plays hard. I think we will get another 2 years of out him which should be extremely productive.

Just a theory but I wonder if coaching is a factor here. Brey's ND teams haven't always been known for their defensive play and Red is still a first year coach.

IMO if JJ can be a good offensive SG while being just mediocre/average at defense, that's fine

ok,
how can a kid like JJ who is a + athlete and has played hoops most of his life be so bad at defense?

I don't buy the advanced stats, personally. I watch with my eyes; I think Judah and Bell are much worse.

For instance, 1st half against NC St, guard takes JJ baseline, JJ bodies him toward the end line very effectively, the guy leans in and makes a tough shot banked off the glass. Highly contested shot. Gave up the bucket.

I don't see so many guys just going past JJ as I do with Mintz, Bell or even Copeland sometimes.

I do think you have to give him credit for his improvement throughout the season. In the beginning of the season I was shocked at how poorly he was playing. But he kept after it and kept improving. Unlike a number of the members of our team he was always poised and played hard. He clearly took to Red's coaching and always looked to get the ball up the court.

He has obvious stuff to work on. He needs to learn to dribble and shoot/finish with his left hand. His jumper is significantly improved but remains a work in progress. His defense is not good enough, especially when he has to go around picks. He needs to take better care of the ball and look to pass earlier.

But JJ is a gamer and is invested. He cares and by all counts is a good teammate. He is young for his grade and is an elite athlete. Most of all he cares and plays hard. I think we will get another 2 years of out him which should be extremely productive.
I do think he can make a huge jump next year.

almost all year, JJ just had that sidekick mentality

the shooting guard for this squad needs to have an Alpha mindset

there were times this season when JJ took over and got aggressive and he played like a 5star

few and far between, though, unfortuantely

he may not be a good defender but at least he wasnt a matador like some of the other players on the team often were.

i think he came into the team and deferred to judah ...and the thing about basketball is mentality is so crucial...players who are dominant and agressive and impose themselves on the game...tend to somehow perform better, not always but generally.

he faded down the stretch this year, which was puzzling...but the talent is there...

idk...I feel like he should work with a sports psychologist and somehow find a way to become more imposing and less deferrent in games...and that we'd see a much better player, if so...

needs to let go of the passive mindset on the court, imo

I don't see so many guys just going past JJ as I do with Mintz, Bell or even Copeland sometimes.
Well we must not be watching the same games. Eye tests or stats, JJ is not good at defense, and on offense he just disappears for long stretches, but some of that may be his teammates and at times, too much deference.

almost all year, JJ just had that sidekick mentality

the shooting guard for this squad needs to have an Alpha mindset

there were times this season when JJ took over and got aggressive and he played like a 5star

few and far between, though, unfortuantely

he may not be a good defender but at least he wasnt a matador like some of the other players on the team often were.

i think he came into the team and deferred to judah ...and the thing about basketball is mentality is so crucial...players who are dominant and agressive and impose themselves on the game...tend to somehow perform better, not always but generally.

he faded down the stretch this year, which was puzzling...but the talent is there...

idk...I feel like he should work with a sports psychologist and somehow find a way to become more imposing and less deferrent in games...and that we'd see a much better player, if so...

needs to let go of the passive mindset on the court, imo
Gerry and Billy worked well in the tournament, but built on it all year.
Remember the winning shot against Notre Dame, was supposed to go to Melo,
But as Billy crossed half court Gerry flashed open at the 3 PT line in the corner, Billy hit him with the pass Gerry scored and history was made.

I hope JJ seeks some camps to work at, so that he can get some instruction from serious defensive coaches.

Just a theory but I wonder if coaching is a factor here. Brey's ND teams haven't always been known for their defensive play and Red is still a first year coach.

IMO if JJ can be a good offensive SG while being just mediocre/average at defense, that's fine
It would be fine but he’s very poor at offense and dreadful at defense. He unfortunately isn’t a starter at this level.

I don't buy the advanced stats, personally. I watch with my eyes; I think Judah and Bell are much worse.

For instance, 1st half against NC St, guard takes JJ baseline, JJ bodies him toward the end line very effectively, the guy leans in and makes a tough shot banked off the glass. Highly contested shot. Gave up the bucket.

With just my eyes I’d say it’s Starling, Bell, Judah with Cope between Bell and Judah if we’re counting him. Judah isn’t bad, he’s just lazy, Cope I don’t think is interested, and Bell and Starling have A. No idea what they’re doing and B. Don’t have any sort of defensive instinct in any fashion. Bell is Edgar Martinez, dude is going to get you on the board in hall of fame way, but his defense is so bad that you can’t play him, luckily in baseball you can hide these one dimensional guys, you just can’t in this sport like you really can’t hide a weak link in an offensive line.

With JJ, you don’t see guys go by him? I rarely see anybody stay in front of him.

It would be fine but he’s very poor at offense and dreadful at defense. He unfortunately isn’t a starter at this level.
Very poor at offense is a bit strong. He averaged 13 ppg for the season after starting the year terribly. He showed things that can be built on. He may never live up to the MAA hype, but a double figure scorer on a team with upgraded pieces can do a lot for us.

Very poor at offense is a bit strong. He averaged 13 ppg for the season after starting the year terribly. He showed things that can be built on. He may never live up to the MAA hype, but a double figure scorer on a team with upgraded pieces can do a lot for us.
You might be able to average 8 in the amount of minutes he played, he was either first or second on the team in minutes, 13 isn’t a badge of honor.

You might be able to average 8 in the amount of minutes he played, he was either first or second on the team in minutes, 13 isn’t a badge of honor.
I didn't say it was a badge of honor but it's not garbage either. And it was in the context of his horrible start. If he plays all year the way he played the last half, his average his higher. As I said, he showed things that can be built on. Some guys do get better. Maybe he can be one. Does he have to be a star for him to be something other than awful? Can there not be a middle ground?

I didn't say it was a badge of honor but it's not garbage either. And it was in the context of his horrible start. If he plays all year the way he played the last half, his average his higher. As I said, he showed things that can be built on. Some guys do get better. Maybe he can be one. Does he have to be a star for him to be something other than awful? Can there not be a middle ground?
I don’t know, he had a solid stretch for a couple of games, but he didn’t end the season well. I just wouldn’t count on him if success was my goal. The only thing he does average or better is a midrange shot which is an overall low percentage shot. I wish he was better, seems easy to root for but he’s a slightly better scoring worse defending McCrosky.

I don’t know, he had a solid stretch for a couple of games, but he didn’t end the season well. I just wouldn’t count on him if success was my goal. The only thing he does average or better is a midrange shot which is an overall low percentage shot. I wish he was better, seems easy to root for but he’s a slightly better scoring worse defending McCrosky.
I'm not saying I build my team around him or that he can't be recruited over, but he shot 35% from 3 in ACC play to go with his solid midrange game. He can contribute to a winning team. As a sophomore did anyone think Kueth Duany would be starting guard on a championship team? I doubt it. Is he a star? No. Is he terrible on offense? Also no. If he makes incremental improvements on offense and gets better on defense he can be a good piece. Maybe a really good piece. And if we get a point guard that can set people up and find an inside game that forces teams to pay attention to the paint, he can get more easy outside shots. Not everybody has to be a star to help.

As a sophomore did anyone think Kueth Duany would be starting guard on a championship team?
I get your overall point and somewhat agree. But Duany also didn't start until his Jr year and never played more than 30 mpg. Also, that was 21 years ago. Sigh.

I think a lot of us have forgotten how good the players were on top-25 teams. Imagine giving Duany 38 mpg and have the offense roll through him as a soph.

I do think he can make a huge jump next year.
Where?

Give him credit he dramatically improved his shooting from the beginning of the year but you think he can keep improving? I think he's hit a ceiling offensively in terms of scoring.

Again I think we saw his offensive improvement already and this is it.

Can his D go from terrible to average? Maybe he should be a good enough athlete. He should pass a little better as a JR and second year in the system he was so bad and the assists an anomaly that its fair to assume he improves in that regard. But be realistic hes going to be average at best at anything other than scoring. And hes hardly an elite scorer.

Also plays way too many minutes can he have his role decreased and not decline?

With just my eyes I’d say it’s Starling, Bell, Judah with Cope between Bell and Judah if we’re counting him. Judah isn’t bad, he’s just lazy, Cope I don’t think is interested, and Bell and Starling have A. No idea what they’re doing and B. Don’t have any sort of defensive instinct in any fashion. Bell is Edgar Martinez, dude is going to get you on the board in hall of fame way, but his defense is so bad that you can’t play him, luckily in baseball you can hide these one dimensional guys, you just can’t in this sport like you really can’t hide a weak link in an offensive line.

With JJ, you don’t see guys go by him? I rarely see anybody stay in front of him.

I see it happen much more often with Judah and Copeland, to be honest. I'm not sure why he has such a terrible reputation on defense. He's like only our 4th biggest problem in that regard.

Copes issue isnt D so much as trying to make too big a play on D. The same issue on O.. He makes the splash play but everyone doesn't have to be a splash play. Not everything on D has to be a steal.. But D is also about the help, the rebound the blocks and he does that well.

I see it happen much more often with Judah and Copeland, to be honest. I'm not sure why he has such a terrible reputation on defense. He's like only our 4th biggest problem in that regard.
I respect a lot of your takes Matt, but he was absolutely abused by Jayden Taylor Wednesday. It's not like he's usually given the top assignment either. That goes to Judah. I won't pretend he's great at defense either. All of them are a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom