JJ Starling | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling

I respect a lot of your takes Matt, but he was absolutely abused by Jayden Taylor Wednesday. It's not like he's usually given the top assignment either. That goes to Judah. I won't pretend he's great at defense either. All of them are a problem.

I guess I give him slack because I see him trying out there on defense. I see so many instances of the other 3 guys not running back on D, or playing matador with the onrushing bull.

better to have a backcourt who complement each other. . judah and j.j. play basically the same game. and being a great player doesn't necessarily mean you're a great team mate

I get your overall point and somewhat agree. But Duany also didn't start until his Jr year and never played more than 30 mpg. Also, that was 21 years ago. Sigh.

I think a lot of us have forgotten how good the players were on top-25 teams. Imagine giving Duany 38 mpg and have the offense roll through him as a soph.
Sure. I hope he either gets better or has a diminishing role because we recruit better. Regardless, it's rare that all 5 starters are stars. My main point has been that there is area in the spectrum between terrible and awesome. JJ is in that area.

Interestingly, Duany actually played fewer mpg as a senior than he did as a junior.

It would be fine but he’s very poor at offense and dreadful at defense. He unfortunately isn’t a starter at this level.

He's still got some work to do with his offense but I still see upside in his game. Much more confident he can bring positives there than on defense.

He's still got some work to do with his offense but I still see upside in his game. Much more confident he can bring positives there than on defense.

He doesn't play good enough defense to play the minutes he played this year next year... Added with his shot mechanics/shoulder injury issue, we have to recruit over him if we can.

Even if he gets his shoulder healthy and shot sorted, he can't continue to play the minutes he played this year... In ACC play, guards simply blew by him on drives way to often. He's a defensive liability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom