JMU screw job | Syracusefan.com

JMU screw job

im4cuse

2nd String

They also just beat Izzo in hoops.

Both their teams would smoke us. Lesson is it can be done despite all the NIL distractions but u have to have leadership

Both their teams would smoke us. Lesson is it can be done despite all the NIL distractions but u have to have leadership
After a long and careful analysis with a completely adequate sample size you have come to the well thought out conclusion their hoops team would destroy us ….. nicely done.

Football sure. Basketball I’d argue ‘Not so fast my friend’.

After a long and careful analysis with a completely adequate sample size you have come to the well thought out conclusion their hoops team would destroy us ….. nicely done.
yeah goofy post
Football sure. Basketball I’d argue ‘Not so fast my friend’.
JMU would open -5 on a neutral field in football.

Football absolutely. Bball is impossible to make a definitive statement. Regardless what they’re doing is remarkable.

I drove past JMU's football stadium as I was making my way down Route 81 to Virginia Tech two weeks ago. It's a very nice little stadium. These arbitrary bans of teams making the postseason that are new to Division 1/FBS are so stupid.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

They beat an Izzo team that laid an egg. They are not anything special roster wise. Their second best player is a BC transfer

I drove past JMU's football stadium as I was making my way down Route 81 to Virginia Tech two weeks ago. It's a very nice little stadium. These arbitrary bans of teams making the postseason that are new to Division 1/FBS are so stupid.
81 hoops team for us missed NCAAs for same reason (BE had not been a conference for 2 years)

Good video on the situation and how Cignetti has won everywhere starting under Saban. They’ve skillfully used the portal last two years. Stud D lineman who leads country in sacks and TfL is from DM V. Now out with injury unfortunately.

at the end of the day, who even cares about JMU?

Nobody. JMU could beat a few P5 teams in football. They are D1 now right?

Am I missing something? Didn't they specifically know the rule before they made the move?

Serious Q. Did the rules change after they jumped? If so, yeah screw job. If they knew the deal and made the move anyway, this feels much ado about nothing.
and it is

JMU has a nice stadium, we drive past it when we go to visit my parents in VA.
Only about a 2 hour drive for us we want to go watch a game at some point.

Are we basing the beat down of our football team off what JMU has accomplished or what we haven't? 1 point win over UVA is their best win. They beat the worst team in the Patriot League by 35. 4 of their games are one score games...they have had a great run but I do not think its a given that they would drub us in football.

As a general rule, I think people are far too quick to demand change which leads to disastrous consequences because we don't think through all of the impacts of the change, so I like to use the "Chesterton's fence" principle (that reforms should not be made until the reasoning behind the existing state of affairs is understood) to determine if a change is appropriate. In simple terms, don't remove a fence until you know why it was there in the first place.

The NCAA claims this is intended to keep teams from jumping up too quickly. However, they already just increased the move up fee from $5000 to $5MM - the fee would meet the need the NCAA had identified for the rule. Additionally, not allowing a team to go to a bowl adds a potentially additional financial burden beyond the now-$5MM move up fee.

Finally, it looks to be fixing a problem which doesn't exist anyway. Of the last 10 teams to make the leap, only Charlotte has a below-average winning percentage. They may have never been ready to make the jump in the first place, but the bowl ban didn't prevent it from happening. Of the other nine, three won conference titles within three years of promotion, and six (maybe seven with JMU) were denied or nearly denied a bowl opportunity in the first two years. In other words, its questionable it achieves what it is intended to do - and has negative consequences of punishing teams for being "too good" that should be avoided.

When I started to look into this, I wasn't sure if there was a strong reason for the bowl ban rule which we were just missing in the current discussion. I'm concluding there isn't - its a stupid and pointless rule which should be eliminated. Tear down the fence!

PS - While this is largely irrelevant, its still far more interesting than any possible discussion around Syracuse football right now.

Are we basing the beat down of our football team off what JMU has accomplished or what we haven't? 1 point win over UVA is their best win. They beat the worst team in the Patriot League by 35. 4 of their games are one score games...they have had a great run but I do not think its a given that they would drub us in football.

I think them being a 5 point neutral site favorite is about right, and that would correlate to us winning about 35% of the time.

I'd say that mostly is about what we've done over the last month; if we played them at 4-0 we would have been about a 3 point favorite. Syracuse has shed value over the last five games at a pace which I can't recall ever seeing before - not even last year was close to this.

Reminds me when as a 12 year old I watched Leo make the winning bucket in the Big East Tournament and thinking we made the dance. Barrier to entry rule won out and we went to the NIT.

Reminds me when as a 12 year old I watched Leo make the winning bucket in the Big East Tournament and thinking we made the dance. Barrier to entry rule won out and we went to the NIT.
I was at that game .. one of most exciting ever

If he is going bring 50 kids from Viriginia with him then I would care too

Syracuse lacrosse was great too when the best HS lacrosse was right in our backyard or close to it
You do realize the guy has a career record of 126-34? Yeah let’s keep finding reasons not to want that guy