Joe Adam | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Joe Adam

I just find it funny how Adam (and GMD) are gods when they are reeling in recruits (and "it doesn't even matter if he can coach the guy rules NJ") and yet the second the team doesn't perform as expected by the fanbase with way over the top expectations they all are terrible coaches who need to be fired.

You can't have it both ways people

We better have it both ways or else we're going to be in a world of hurt!

PhatOrange said:
For the position id rather have a better coach than recruiter. OL Coach > recruiter It was a curious hire at the time, the guys resume is weak and he was coming from an area we already had a handle on. Not that I doubt you on Conway/duerig but we just crushed it in Illinois without him

I repeat: we have no idea if he's good or not. It's been be game, missing two starters, playing over half the game with a freshman QB, and an odd stack formation from the Nova D. It was also game one. FSU looked less than sharp.

He may be horrible - but no one here knows that unless they can tell the future.

so this is why Hickey/trudo/foy missed so many blocks cause the new coach thought them to get run over down on the goal line after years of being trained how to do it right. lasker didnt mess up any worse than any of the veterans. Miller is a SR and blown up by the underweight NT.. I think they missed blocks out of confusion, we actually ran fine in OT other than the goal line stuff and that was not the 3-3 stack then.

Is under a microscope big time. We all questioned his background as our new OL coach. His debut sucked. I never want to see Lasker line up at G again. He was obviously extremely slow to get to his assignments and I question why they didn't give Emerich( whose worked at C and G) or Hayes a shot at the position they had been practicing. A supposed strength of the team was crap on Friday.
i believe you are right, however there is a learning curve here and i believe the guy will learn quickly under shafer and maybe even lester---he will need to or ....bullough is more of a concern to me. been here, and is still very suspect. i think last year shafer stepped in to "help" him.

I just find it funny how Adam (and GMD) are gods when they are reeling in recruits (and "it doesn't even matter if he can coach the guy rules NJ")

This is Acosta, not Adam. He's the TE coach and handles our NJ recruiting. Custis would've had a TD if Wilson saw him streaking wide open downfield. Kendall Moore caught the GW TD pass. Not worried about the TE play as it is not a focal point of this offense, yet at least.

And Acosta is worth his weight in gold x3. It's nice to be a presence in the NJ recruiting scene again. I'd keep Acosta forever if we could.

It's not title IX, it's Doc Gross deciding it's more important to pay the W. Lax coach well beyond market value. Hopefully asst. coach salaries are being addressed with the additional ACC $

I also think it's a bit early to crush Adam because of the injuries. I jut wonder why Lasker was moved so close to the game- is Hayes that far behind?
But look at all the National Championships we've won in WLax.

there's always this option...
crop_20282572437.jpg

Hayes the kid from Georgia who's been a guard since he got here should have been given the nod. They blew that decision.

Who's looked better in practice? Lasker or Hayes?

I just find it funny how Adam (and GMD) are gods when they are reeling in recruits (and "it doesn't even matter if he can coach the guy rules NJ") and yet the second the team doesn't perform as expected by the fanbase with way over the top expectations they all are terrible coaches who need to be fired.

You can't have it both ways people
Yes you can. Top 25 teams have guys that can recruit AND coach. It's why they're in the top 25.

i believe you are right, however there is a learning curve here and i believe the guy will learn quickly under shafer and maybe even lester---he will need to or ...bullough is more of a concern to me. been here, and is still very suspect. i think last year shafer stepped in to "help" him.
Completely agree on Bullough. The defense made way too many What mistakes last year and it was incapable of containing the one guy it knew it needed to worry about against Villanova. It would've been one thing if their QB had driven us nuts for a half then we made adjustments and contained him, but that didn't happen.

If it comes down to it, and it's certainly too early for this, I wonder if HCSS can make the tough decision to let one of his buddies go?

I still think people are confusing contain with tackling.. you could have 5 guys standing in a circle around the dude, but you still have to get him to the ground. this was much more of a tackling issue. if 3 guys on one play get there hands on him how is that a scheme issue? can you recall one play that an SU player other than Hunt made multiple guys miss a tackle?

I repeat: we have no idea if he's good or not. It's been be game, missing two starters, playing over half the game with a freshman QB, and an odd stack formation from the Nova D. It was also game one. FSU looked less than sharp.

He may be horrible - but no one here knows that unless they can tell the future.

I don’t know. I don’t blame him for Lasker playing out of position but I didn’t think Trudo or Hickey were particularly impressive either. The whole line looked lost. To me it’s on the coach to have backups ready to go. How often do you get through season unscathed at that position.

The odd stack formation is just a BS excuse.

FSU played Oklahoma State are you really making that comparison?

Adam made some curious comments in articles during preseason and I didn’t see anyone discuss them. But a couple of the comments (to paraphrase) about him having to adjust to the tempo and being able to teach fast etc had me a bit worried then. They didn’t instill confidence in me.

His resume is pretty weak to be running an ACC offensive line ;

2014-Present - Offensive Line - Syracuse University
2013 - Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator - Elmhurst College
2008-12 - Defensive Backs - Elmhurst College
2007 - Quarterbacks/ Running Backs '07 - Elmhurst College
2006 - Graduate Assistant (defense) - Western Michigan University
2003-05 - Student Assistant - Grand Valley State
1997-02 Line Coach - Harper College
1995-96 - Assistant Defensive Line Coach/JV Defensive Coordinator - Niles West HS

Last edited:
Meh. Let's see how the offensive line performs when we get starting caliber players like Robinson and Palmer back before we start viliifying Adam's coaching apptitude.

Has Palmer started a game before this season?

I'd like to know why they didn't put Hayes in at guard.

I don’t know. I don’t blame him for Lasker playing out of position but I didn’t think Trudo or Hickey were particularly impressive either. The whole line looked lost. To me it’s on the coach to have backups ready to go. How often do you get through season unscathed at that position.

The odd stack formation is just a BS excuse.

FSU played Oklahoma State are you really making that comparison?

Adam made some curious comments in articles during preseason and I didn’t see anyone discuss them. But a couple of the comments (to paraphrase) about him having to adjust to the tempo and being able to teach fast etc had me a bit worried then. They didn’t instill confidence in me.

His resume is pretty weak:

2014-present

Offensive Line

Syracuse University

Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator

Elmhurst College

2008-12

Defensive Backs

Elmhurst College

Quarterbacks/ Running Backs '07

Elmhurst College

Graduate Assistant (defense)

Western Michigan University

2003-05

Student Assistant

Grand Valley State

1997-02

Line Coach

Harper College

1995-96

Assistant Defensive Line Coach/JV Defensive Coordinator

Niles West HS

If it was just the stack - it would be weak. But if you combine it with a new center (responsible for protections), half the game with a RS Freshman unexpectedly (responsible for relaying protections and the play to the Oline from the sideline), and a couple of starters out, a player out of position, and the first game of the season? That tells a story. They might have played well given all of that.

Your ability to execute and look sharp (taking care of your part) is irrelevant to the opponent. FSU missed protections, were out of position, and had similar week one missteps that we had. The relative strength of the opponent doesn't directly affect this. Control the controllables.

All the coaches talked about adjusting to the speed.

His resume is weak. But that's about the only thing we know for sure.

It would be interesting to know which positions are actually harder to coach? There are aspects to every position but it seems to me oline is more about instilling an attitude in a kid. there are footwork and hand position things and some filmwork stuff to know plays and recognize defenses but thats not really on the oline coach, other than to try and motivate the kid to get better. it feels like oline is way down on the technique coaching scale and more on the max out the kids effort scale.

Has Palmer started a game before this season?

I'd like to know why they didn't put Hayes in at guard.

No, but he'd emerged as a starter this preseason prior to getting injured.

Your ability to execute and look sharp (taking care of your part) is irrelevant to the opponent. FSU missed protections, were out of position, and had similar week one missteps that we had. The relative strength of the opponent doesn't directly affect this. Control the controllables.

stop... FSU and their missteps still scored 38 points against a high caliber P5 school.

stop... FSU and their missteps still scored 38 points against a high caliber P5 school.

Didn't make them any less of a misstep, right? I'm not talking results or opponents. Talking relative sharpness and execution. Week one is notorious for mistakes no matter who you are... that was my point.

"We're going ot practice as fast as we'll play," Adam said in an interview on Thursday. "That's something that I've had to change coming into this offense. In practice the drills have to mimic our play as much as possible, so I can't take a lot of time as far as setting up drills.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2014/07/joe_adam_coaching_style.html

Not sure why that is worrisome? He's adjusting from coaching at a normal pace, to the desired pace of his OC - which is faster than Oregon. Probably was a bit tricky at first.

A whole lot of nothing.

Not sure why that is worrisome? He's adjusting from coaching at a normal pace, to the desired pace of his OC - which is faster than Oregon. Probably was a bit tricky at first.

A whole lot of nothing.

Maybe they should have hired a guy with offensive line experience in an up-temp system?

As I said at the time of the hire, people are overcomplicating things. This is football! Yes, we have to take a standard deduction for all the brain damaged people that are a part of this game but it's still football. Experience with a system is not the be-all, end-all. The implication on the part of some here would seem to be that football coaches are so dumb that they can't figure out and learn a new scheme. Sure, there are no Nobel prize winners on this staff but when you devote your whole life to one thing---football---you're going to be pretty well-versed in that one thing no matter how limited you are.

I have no doubt that Adam is up to speed with the offense and has figured out a way to adjust his style of coaching to the tempo McD wants in practice. The question always with these coaches is not knowledge and experience but can you reach the kids? Wylie had a ton of experience but he couldn't reach the kids. This guy is young, he's had lots of experience at lower levels where coaching kids up is even more important, he was a head coach so someone must have thought he had half a brain and some organizational ability...there are lots of signs that this guy can do the job and reach the kids. We'll see down the line if that's the case.

But one game is not enough to make a judgment. This offense hasn't changed much since the end of last year. The guys up front are all veterans that know the schemes. Has Adam been so bad that they've unlearned it all? I think the 3-3 threw them, especially with the guys not all playing their natural positions. Let's have some patience before we light the torches and grab the pitchforks.

PhatOrange said:
Maybe they should have hired a guy with offensive line experience in an up-temp system?

Shafer goes for guys he's worked with before. Staff cohesiveness is more important.

So far he's doing fine.