Joe Adam | Syracusefan.com

Joe Adam

Dcuse

All Conference
Is under a microscope big time. We all questioned his background as our new OL coach. His debut sucked. I never want to see Lasker line up at G again. He was obviously extremely slow to get to his assignments and I question why they didn't give Emerich( whose worked at C and G) or Hayes a shot at the position they had been practicing. A supposed strength of the team was crap on Friday.

What he said. x1000. Wasn't a fan of the hire then, and still not now.

We seem to have 3 starting guards between 2 positions, and we happened to be down 2 of those players. I think more than anything we saw the result of those injuries.

If the line is still playing poorly when we can put a legit lineup out there, then yeah, I think we worry about Adam.

Although, I am always suspicious of a man with two first names.

OttoinGrotto said:
We seem to have 3 starting guards between 2 positions, and we happened to be down 2 of those players. I think more than anything we saw the result of those injuries. If the line is still playing poorly when we can put a legit lineup out there, then yeah, I think we worry about Adam. Although, I am always suspicious of a man with two first names.

I keep saying it - but in addition to the injuries the stack defense lined up in a way that they hadn't, throw in a new center, and a freshman QB? That's the source right there.

I expect them to improve greatly and be the strength of the team relatively quickly.

We seem to have 3 starting guards between 2 positions, and we happened to be down 2 of those players. I think more than anything we saw the result of those injuries.

If the line is still playing poorly when we can put a legit lineup out there, then yeah, I think we worry about Adam.

Although, I am always suspicious of a man with two first names.
You must be terribly suspicious of Steve Martin and Bill Murray.

Is under a microscope big time. We all questioned his background as our new OL coach. His debut sucked. I never want to see Lasker line up at G again. He was obviously extremely slow to get to his assignments and I question why they didn't give Emerich( whose worked at C and G) or Hayes a shot at the position they had been practicing. A supposed strength of the team was crap on Friday.

I agree that Lasker at G just didn't work - he doesn't seem to be able to get out there. A pulling guard doesn't seem like a position he should be playing based on Friday's performance. Does that mean that Lasker is our best option there? I don't know much about Adam so I won't comment but it doesn't seem like the offense is playing to the strengths of our players, and I'm not just talking about the O-Line, but all plays start there so its pretty critical to have things sorted. Didn't George MacDonald play calls last year that we just couldn't execute because of our personnel? I remember some discussions last year that the plays he wanted to run just couldn't be executed well with the athletes on this team, just didn't have the talent and speed to pull it off. Am I recalling this correctly? And if so, is MacDonald falling into the same expectations?

I hope HCSS has had a good talk with the entire staff to get them synced up; all the coaches need to talk with GMacDonald to have him understand the strengths of each unit. He should already know this but it didn't seem like it on Friday evening.

Here's to HCSS getting the coaches synced up. Cheers.

I just find it funny how Adam (and GMD) are gods when they are reeling in recruits (and "it doesn't even matter if he can coach the guy rules NJ") and yet the second the team doesn't perform as expected by the fanbase with way over the top expectations they all are terrible coaches who need to be fired.

You can't have it both ways people

I know people won't like it but we have the coaches we have because of title IX. If SU could pay better we would be able to have coaches that can recruit and the actually coach.

I just find it funny how Adam (and GMD) are gods when they are reeling in recruits (and "it doesn't even matter if he can coach the guy rules NJ") and yet the second the team doesn't perform as expected by the fanbase with way over the top expectations they all are terrible coaches who need to be fired.

Well, to be fair, one can be a great recruiter and a not-so-good position coach. And vice-versa. We've seen both.

Coaches can only do so much, at some point the players have to win plays. Injuries played a part in it but last week Nova's players just wanted it more. For example my cousin, who is a fan but doesn't have player numbers memorized, was rewatching the game Sunday since we were at the game Friday. He asks me "whose number XX?" During the AAM goal line stand and I told him. He mentioned the guy chipped well initially then moved to the second level and got absolutely chucked by the LB who ended up making the play. On that play the LB wanted it more.

The player was In The correct position and simply got beat. That is a learned experience and a coaching point now that its on film. I'm willing to guess that hadn't happened to that player in the past and am hopeful he and the coaches get it cleaned up now that it has.

You're right, your comment sucks. Go get some daughters and get back to me
I don't think he's saying title IX is bad, just that title IX impacts the money we have to pay coaches. Which in my eyes isn't a relevant excuse because it's a "problem" for everybody

I know people won't like it but we have the coaches we have because of title IX. If SU could pay better we would be able to have coaches that can recruit and the actually coach.

Lol, horrible post. You could have made an argument about paying some of the other coaches too much money, however bringing up title 9 has nothing to do with it.

I don't think he's saying title IX is bad, just that title IX impacts the money we have to pay coaches. Which in my eyes isn't a relevant excuse because it's a "problem" for everybody

Colleges have only had...what 20 years to figure it out? We are blaming title IX really...we've sunk pretty low to justify a poor showing.

Also, title IX doesn't mention anything about spending equality between boys programs vs. girls programs. Schools are still free to spend what they wish for both.

Colleges have only had...what 20 years to figure it out? We are blaming title IX really...we've sunk pretty low to justify a poor showing.

Also, title IX doesn't mention anything about spending equality between boys programs vs. girls programs. Schools are still free to spend what they wish for both.

It's not title IX, it's Doc Gross deciding it's more important to pay the W. Lax coach well beyond market value. Hopefully asst. coach salaries are being addressed with the additional ACC $

I also think it's a bit early to crush Adam because of the injuries. I jut wonder why Lasker was moved so close to the game- is Hayes that far behind?

Who the heck has Joe Adam landed ?

Hayes the kid from Georgia who's been a guard since he got here should have been given the nod. They blew that decision.

It's not title IX, it's Doc Gross deciding it's more important to pay the W. Lax coach well beyond market value. Hopefully asst. coach salaries are being addressed with the additional ACC $

I also think it's a bit early to crush Adam because of the injuries. I jut wonder why Lasker was moved so close to the game- is Hayes that far behind?

So, you're saying that paying Gary Gait a lot of money to coach at a school with an $85 million athletic budget is the reason Title IX is hurting the football team and we are not spending enough money on football coaches?

Maybe Gary Gait was already making 600K a year at the job they lured him away from and 750K is his market value to get him away from the job he was doing. Just a thought.

Who the heck has Joe Adam landed ?
Conway and Duerig especially, but, he's had a hand in the recruitment of at the very least all of our OL commits...

This is neither here nor there though, he has an, at the very least, all-conference type guy in Hickey he's got to get results from... It doesn't matter who we recruit if the field work isn't there.

It's a delicate balance, chicken or the egg type argument... Would you rather have a strong recruiter/sub par coach or a great coach that's a sub par recruiter? I think the answer is somewhere in between for Syracuse specifically.

It's killed the basketball staff.
If you accepted your premise, which is flawed at best, would you advocate dumping Title IX? If that happened, do you realize that ALL colleges that play FB would have more money to spend on FB coaches? The salaries might go up, but it would be a cross the board, so no net gain there.
Actually, the biggest reason you have the coaches you have is because of the record and perception of SU as a FB program at the time of the hires. IF SU gains some consistent national rankings, it will get easier to hire better coaches.
I am curious as to SU's coaches salaries as compared to private colleges playing if time FB. SU will always be ill equipped to compete against the FB factories financially, but is bit competitive in its peer group, leaving out ND.

Conway and Duerig especially, but, he's had a hand in the recruitment of at the very least all of our OL commits...

This is neither here nor there though, he has an, at the very least, all-conference type guy in Hickey he's got to get results from... It doesn't matter who we recruit if the field work isn't there.

It's a delicate balance, chicken or the egg type argument... Would you rather have a strong recruiter/sub par coach or a great coach that's a sub par recruiter? I think the answer is somewhere in between for Syracuse specifically.

For the position id rather have a better coach than recruiter. OL Coach > recruiter

It was a curious hire at the time, the guys resume is weak and he was coming from an area we already had a handle on.

Not that I doubt you on Conway/duerig but we just crushed it in Illinois without him

So, you're saying that paying Gary Gait a lot of money to coach at a school with an $85 million athletic budget is the reason Title IX is hurting the football team and we are not spending enough money on football coaches?

Maybe Gary Gait was already making 600K a year at the job they lured him away from and 750K is his market value to get him away from the job he was doing. Just a thought.

Title IX has nothing to do with the FB coaches salaries, and I didn't mean to imply that it did. SU has the $ to invest across the board, but maybe cutting some of the administrative dead weight would help.

By the way paying Gary Gait 2-3x more than any M. Lax HC isn't what I call paying market value. I don't care what he was making before SU- he's incredibly overpaid in terms of college Olympic sports coaches.

The stack D was tricky for SU players to get a handle on. It appeared that Hunt started to get a solid read on it and he broke off a couple of good runs. That's when they started playing dirty , because they knew if Hunt continued to rip them , their whole defensive scheme and offensive gameplan would fall apart and a rout would likely result.