Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 59 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Operative phrase: "limited info available". The last time I second-guessed the coaches on who they were recruiting was when they got Lawrence Moten. I wanted a big guy and wondered "Why do we need another 6-5 guy?" Moten was nothing special on measureables or particular skills but he he was a good all-around player who kept moving for 40 minutes and made his defender do the same thing. When he got an open shot BOOM. it didn't matter where it was. He wasn't a great athlete and he was mediocre beyond the arc but he became our and the Big East's all-time leading scorer. The coaches knew what he had. I didn't.

Thus, my philosophy is to root for them to get the guys they want and then make my own judgments when I see them play here. If they go hard after Girard, they will have reasons why.
Wow, that is amazing - twenty eight years without a second guess !!!

Not even a second guess with the Cat Rescuer !!!

Since you are the board statistician, does that constitute a record ???

Operative phrase: "limited info available". The last time I second-guessed the coaches on who they were recruiting was when they got Lawrence Moten. I wanted a big guy and wondered "Why do we need another 6-5 guy?" Moten was nothing special on measureables or particular skills but he he was a good all-around player who kept moving for 40 minutes and made his defender do the same thing. When he got an open shot BOOM. it didn't matter where it was. He wasn't a great athlete and he was mediocre beyond the arc but he became our and the Big East's all-time leading scorer. The coaches knew what he had. I didn't.

Thus, my philosophy is to root for them to get the guys they want and then make my own judgments when I see them play here. If they go hard after Girard, they will have reasons why.
I wasnt second guessing the coaches, I was sharing my thoughts on what I’ve seen. Of course not in a million years would I expect anyone to value my say over the coaches. However, the coaches havent really said much and I thought it’d potentially create good discussion.

Im not sure his numbers thus far in AAU suggest he’s the next jimmer, but I see your point.
Jimmer's numbers didn't suggest that he was going to be the next Jimmer either.

I found this interesting below. This player went to a small conference, wasn't drafted by the NBA. Bounced around like a ping pong ball and now has made $50 million bucks. Sometimes the form of the mold isn't rigid. Black isn't always black and white isn't always white.

July 21, 2010: Signed as a free agent with the Golden State Warriors.
December 28, 2010: Assigned to the Reno Bighorns of the G-League.
January 3, 2011: Recalled from the Reno Bighorns of the G-League.
January 9, 2011: Assigned to the Reno Bighorns of the G-League.
February 5, 2011: Recalled from the Reno Bighorns of the G-League.
March 17, 2011: Assigned to the Reno Bighorns of the G-League.
March 28, 2011: Recalled from the Reno Bighorns of the G-League.
December 9, 2011: Waived by the Golden State Warriors.
December 12, 2011: Signed as a free agent with the Houston Rockets.
December 27, 2011: Signed as a free agent with the New York Knicks.
January 17, 2012: Assigned to the Erie BayHawks of the G-League.
January 23, 2012: Recalled from the Erie BayHawks of the G-League.
July 17, 2012: Signed as a free agent with the Houston Rockets.
July 15, 2014: Traded by the Houston Rockets with a 2015 1st round draft pick (Larry Nance, Jr. was later selected) and a 2015 2nd round draft pick to the Los Angeles Lakers for Sergei Lishouk. 2015 2nd-rd pick was protected and not conveyed
July 9, 2015: Signed a multi-year contract with the Charlotte Hornets
July 7, 2016: Signed a multi-year contract with the Brooklyn Nets

Jimmer's numbers didn't suggest that he was going to be the next Jimmer either.

I found this interesting below. This player went to a small conference, wasn't drafted by the NBA. Bounced around like a ping pong ball and now has made $50 million bucks. Sometimes the form of the mold isn't rigid. Black isn't always black and white isn't always white.

July 21, 2010: Signed as a free agent with the Golden State Warriors.
December 28, 2010: Assigned to the Reno Bighorns of the G-League.
January 3, 2011: Recalled from the Reno Bighorns of the G-League.
January 9, 2011: Assigned to the Reno Bighorns of the G-League.
February 5, 2011: Recalled from the Reno Bighorns of the G-League.
March 17, 2011: Assigned to the Reno Bighorns of the G-League.
March 28, 2011: Recalled from the Reno Bighorns of the G-League.
December 9, 2011: Waived by the Golden State Warriors.
December 12, 2011: Signed as a free agent with the Houston Rockets.
December 27, 2011: Signed as a free agent with the New York Knicks.
January 17, 2012: Assigned to the Erie BayHawks of the G-League.
January 23, 2012: Recalled from the Erie BayHawks of the G-League.
July 17, 2012: Signed as a free agent with the Houston Rockets.
July 15, 2014: Traded by the Houston Rockets with a 2015 1st round draft pick (Larry Nance, Jr. was later selected) and a 2015 2nd round draft pick to the Los Angeles Lakers for Sergei Lishouk. 2015 2nd-rd pick was protected and not conveyed
July 9, 2015: Signed a multi-year contract with the Charlotte Hornets
July 7, 2016: Signed a multi-year contract with the Brooklyn Nets

Linsanity! That stretch he had with the Knicks was a lot of fun to watch. I was lucky enough to see one of the games live when he came to play the Wizards.

If he went to any other high school besides Glens Falls would we think he could be the next Jimmer?

perhaps its time to shut this thread down.. the kid aint coming here and the obsession is becoming quite sad

Sure. One or two others :cool::cool:

I know you are one of Girards biggest fans and I hope he succeeds as well as a former Section 2 basketball player, but I just think he fits other schools better. I don’t want to come off as a hater.

Wow, that is amazing - twenty eight years without a second guess !!!

Not even a second guess with the Cat Rescuer !!!

Since you are the board statistician, does that constitute a record ???

Not until the guy's here and I've had a chance to see him playing against our level of competition.

I know you are one of Girards biggest fans and I hope he succeeds as well as a former Section 2 basketball player, but I just think he fits other schools better. I don’t want to come off as a hater.
No, it's not even that. I've seen some good players in Section 2 that were never given the time of day because they didn't "fit" or weren't "good" enough to play at Syracuse but became very good college players and got a sniff at the NBA or have had solid careers overseas. Guys like Jimmer and Jason McKreith, James Thomas, Lionel Chalmers, Willie Deane, Mark Lyons. Then of course we missed out on Kevin Huerter and how good he could have looked in Orange.

We now have 13 scholarships to use. Why wouldn't we make it a priority to get a kid who lives nearby whose one big talent is scoring the basketball.

No, it's not even that. I've seen some good players in Section 2 that were never given the time of day because they didn't "fit" or weren't "good" enough to play at Syracuse but became very good college players and got a sniff at the NBA or have had solid careers overseas. Guys like Jimmer and Jason McKreith, James Thomas, Lionel Chalmers, Willie Deane, Mark Lyons. Then of course we missed out on Kevin Huerter and how good he could have looked in Orange.

We now have 13 scholarships to use. Why wouldn't we make it a priority to get a kid who lives nearby whose one big talent is scoring the basketball.

Totally agree and it goes back farther than that. Sam Perkins was the first. Huerter would have made this year’s team a FF contender.

This year’s team was a Final Four contender ;)
I hope you’re kidding. Last years team was one of SU’s worst EVER offensive teams. They struggled scoring 60 points. I think everyone needs to step back a little with their expectations for next year. It’s great all five starters are coming back, but those five starters were one of the worse offensive teams in the country. Hopefully, they will improve, but they would have to do a complete offensive turnaround if they plan to be national championship contenders. When expectations are high at SU, they usually crap the bed. That has always been JB’s MO.

So what you’re saying is you are going to Make a stink if he doesn’t come here because we may prefer other players?
Your reading comprehension is severely lacking if that's what you took away from my post. LMAO. I said I think it was a token offer, and a guy that we're not too serious about. My statement had more to do with reading between the lines. I don't know if Girard is a fit for Syracuse or not. He certainly doesn't fit the mold of the height we like at the top of the zone. He's an elite shooter. But, I'm much more concerned about getting another big. I've expressed that a number of times. Feel free to make assumptions about what I think if that serves you and makes you feel good.

Totally agree and it goes back farther than that. Sam Perkins was the first. Huerter would have made this year’s team a FF contender.
Don't forget Pat Riley, Barry Kramer, Sid Edwards, Larry Harris, Dave Modest, Jim Mitchell, Ticky Burden . . . .

Your reading comprehension is severely lacking if that's what you took away from my post. LMAO. I said I think it was a token offer, and a guy that we're not too serious about. My statement had more to do with reading between the lines. I don't know if Girard is a fit for Syracuse or not. He certainly doesn't fit the mold of the height we like at the top of the zone. He's an elite shooter. But, I'm much more concerned about getting another big. I've expressed that a number of times. Feel free to make assumptions about what I think if that serves you and makes you feel good.

Lol you seemed concerned because people say Buddy is better and I made as assumption based off your reaction to us losing a 3 star center earlier this spring. I agree we need frontcourt help.

Lol you seemed concerned because people say Buddy is better and I made as assumption based off your reaction to us losing a 3 star center earlier this spring. I agree we need frontcourt help.
I expressed no concern whatsoever. I said the writing was on the wall... with the number of comments ranging from Buddy is better, to Bertram is better, to Girard doesn't fit the system. etc. It just seemed like there was a fair amount of downplaying Girard's value, almost like a negative sales pitch.

As to my reaction when we lost the center you are referring to, I never said he was a huge loss. I also never said he was a make or break it recruit. I expressed concern about our depth at the center position, and the ability of our two centers to stay healthy. I thought a big should've been a priority. Nonetheless, I'm still very excited about the upcoming season. Tyus Battle's return makes me even more optimistic.

Getting back to Joe Girard, I could care less if we get him or not, IF we nail a 4 or 5 star big. That's where our priority should be right now.

Him not making the USA team speaks loudly how much his NYS Scoring record means in a mediocre league.
What also speaks loudly are the number of schools that have offered him scholarships: Duke, Syracuse, Michigan, Ohio State, Washington, Oklahoma, St Johns...

Him not making the USA team speaks loudly how much his NYS Scoring record means in a mediocre league.

I agree with you, but to be fair there’s a lot of politics involved in the team selection as well that may have played a part.

What also speaks loudly are the number of schools that have offered him scholarships: Duke, Syracuse, Michigan, Ohio State, Washington, Oklahoma, St Johns...
Because he can shoot the deep ball. Hes not a scorer, hes a shooter with average handle.

I hope you’re kidding. Last years team was one of SU’s worst EVER offensive teams. They struggled scoring 60 points. I think everyone needs to step back a little with their expectations for next year. It’s great all five starters are coming back, but those five starters were one of the worse offensive teams in the country. Hopefully, they will improve, but they would have to do a complete offensive turnaround if they plan to be national championship contenders. When expectations are high at SU, they usually crap the bed. That has always been JB’s MO.

Last year's team almost beat Duke in the Sweet 16. if Dolezaj hadn't gotten some cheap fouls called on him, we might have been in the elite 8. That's what he meant by a "Final Four Contender". Final Four contenders are more than just the ones that actually made it.

Sometimes the lack of understanding is staggering. Last years team was characterized by lack of depth. Were they dynamic offensively? No. However, they slowed tempo to compress scores and conserve energy. If they are not starting the offense with 12 on the shot clock it would look very different. We had to play that way and had success. This year we will have depth.

A coach should not bring in players they don't think can play for them. It's okay if a kid is not a fit. John Thompson didn't think Sherm could play for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom