Joe Schad: ACC to announce deal with Orange Bowl | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Joe Schad: ACC to announce deal with Orange Bowl

According to my source at NCState just about ready to announce...it is the Orange Bowl...coupled with following:
1. Notre Dame or
2. Potential rotation among B1g, SEC, Pac 12,...or other higher rated team like BYU not in NC playoffs, not in Rose or Champion bowl or
3. BE would have to have highest ranked team among non NC playoff teams to get in

Regardless, this will prove to be a significant $$$$$$$$$$$ wind fall!

According to my source at NCState just about ready to announce...it is the Orange Bowl...coupled with following:
1. Notre Dame or
2. Potential rotation among B1g, SEC, Pac 12,...or other higher rated team like BYU not in NC playoffs, not in Rose or Champion bowl or
3. BE would have to have highest ranked team among non NC playoff teams to get in

Keeps us at the Jan 1 table. ACC vs the "Best of the Rest".

maybe nd, but i seriously doubt that will ever happen.

unless they join a conf. (cough, ACC)

doubt that will ever happen? They have played in 3 or 4 bcs games. most of the time, they werent worthy - but it doesnt matter.

I would love to see an agreement wherein the highest ranked team from ND, B1G, Pac-12 or SEC, not in the Rose or champions Bowl plays the ACC representative. As long as the ACC team does well, this should guarantee a match-up of at least top 15 teams. Also, as perception is so important in college football, a couple of years of the ACC rep winning the Orange against a legitimate opponent and the Big 12 rep getting smoked by the SEC in the "If You Ain't Cheating, You Ain't Trying" Bowl, the (manufactured) resurgence of the Big 12 may die down and the ACC may take over the mantle of the 4th best conference.

1. Notre Dame or

1+2+3 = everybody else. who else could there be?

As to the $$$$ wind fall, is the Orange bowl significantly increasing their payout?

doubt that will ever happen? They have played in 3 or 4 bcs games. most of the time, they werent worthy - but it doesnt matter.
and they lost every one. often spectaculary clobbered.

theyre actually 2 for their last 12 bowls.

id be willing to bet that the ACC Champ > nd, in most years forthcoming.

it appears that if the Orange is a F4 game, and the ACC Champ is ranked 5th or less, they will end up in the Sugar, Fiesta or the 6th bowl, likely the Cotton.

and they lost every one. often spectaculary clobbered.

theyre actually 2 for their last 12 bowls.

id be willing to bet that the ACC Champ > nd, in most years forthcoming.

it appears that if the Orange is a F4 game, and the ACC Champ is ranked 5th or less, they will end up in the Sugar, Fiesta or the 6th bowl, likely the Cotton.

the point is they will get in whether they are worthy or not.

1. Notre Dame or

Nice. I believe I suggested something like this in a thread about a month ago. Seems like a great plan.

http://syracusefan.com/threads/acc-champion-bowl-game-idea.27053/

Instead of dwelling on ACC #1 vs. Other conference #2 or #3, etc., lets look at the names of teams that could be available, since that's where the hype for the game will come from. Although two teams from a conference could conceivably make the playoffs and muck things up, I expect politics will make that a rarity instead of the norm. So the ACC would face teams like the best of the third choices in each conference (after taking away a playoff team and a Rose/Sugar team):

B1G: Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska
B12: Texas, Oklahoma, Okie State
PAC12: USC, Oregon, Stanford
SEC: Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Florida, Georgia

Other candidates would be ND and whichever minor conference team (Boise, Louisville, etc.) has a great season, but falls short of the playoffs although I doubt the latter would get picked over the available Big Boy schools if there's no system in place to force them in.

I have no gripes about matching up with this grouping, regardless of where they place in their conferences in the regular season.

Instead of dwelling on ACC #1 vs. Other conference #2 or #3, etc., lets look at the names of teams that could be available, since that's where the hype for the game will come from. Although two teams from a conference could conceivably make the playoffs and muck things up, I expect politics will make that a rarity instead of the norm. So the ACC would face teams like the best of the third choices in each conference (after taking away a playoff team and a Rose/Sugar team):

Other candidates would be ND and whichever minor conference team (Boise, Louisville, etc.) has a great season, but falls short of the playoffs although I doubt the latter would get picked over the available Big Boy schools if there's no system in place to force them in.

I have no gripes about matching up with this grouping, regardless of where they place in their conferences in the regular season.

Thank you.

i think the Sugar might be holding the bag a little bit, for it will not have a Champion in nonF4 years. i would guess that now the pecking order would be F4. then since the Rose has the pac/b1g and the new champions bowl is sec/bevo, that next up would be the Orange, picking a team to play the ACC Champ, or ACC 2nd. then the sugar/fiesta/cotton would fill their slots.

the Orange could then choose to fill seats, or put a matchup in, hoping to fill seats. since most of the teams left would be power schools, it shouldnt have a problem either way.

the Sugar is fine because its nawlins and they could take the SEC 5th place team and sell out.

the Cotton will keep it texas/okie midwest centered and be fine.

but as i previously said, if im the fiesta...id be nervous.

expecially with all their $$$ problems.

If Florida St, Miami get back to being themselves, and destroy a couble of these opponents, then you will see a quick move to undue the current SEC -Big12, Pac12-Big matchups. The ACC just needs to have their teams get back to where they were 1991-2003.

Personally, I believe within the next 5 years the order of importance will be:

NC Game
2 Semi-Final Games
4 or 5 Conference Championship Games in December
Rose
Sugar or Cotton (who gets the best SEC/Big 12 match-up after the Final Four is selected)
Orange

So, if FSU and Miami both bounce back they have an excellent chance of one of them getting into the Semis, it will make the ACC championship game huge, and the loser gets the Orange Bowl as a consolation.

Cheers,
Neil

Personally, I believe within the next 5 years the order of importance will be:

NC Game
2 Semi-Final Games
4 or 5 Conference Championship Games in December
Rose
Sugar or Cotton (who gets the best SEC/Big 12 match-up after the Final Four is selected)
Orange

So, if FSU and Miami both bounce back they have an excellent chance of one of them getting into the Semis, it will make the ACC championship game huge, and the loser gets the Orange Bowl as a consolation.

Cheers,
Neil

The Rose Bowl will always be the granddaddy of them all.

Does anyone on the East Coast really care about the Rose Bowl? Seriously.

Television ratings for the bowl games in 2012:

Orange Bowl (West Virginia over Clemson, 70-33): 5.3 rating.
Sugar Bowl (Michigan over Virgina Tech, 23-20 in OT): 7.0 rating.
Fiesta Bowl (Oklahoma State over Stanford, 41-38 in OT): 9.7 rating.
Rose Bowl (Oregon over Wisconsin 45-38): 11.8 rating.

In 2011 the Rose Bowl drew a 13.8 rating (compared to the next highest 9.5), in 2010 a 13.1 rating.

So yes, I think people on the east coast must care about the Rose Bowl because if not, the rest of the country REALLY cares about the Rose Bowl.

Television ratings for the bowl games in 2012:

Orange Bowl (West Virginia over Clemson, 70-33): 5.3 rating.
Sugar Bowl (Michigan over Virgina Tech, 23-20 in OT): 7.0 rating.
Fiesta Bowl (Oklahoma State over Stanford, 41-38 in OT): 9.7 rating.
Rose Bowl (Oregon over Wisconsin 45-38): 11.8 rating.

In 2011 the Rose Bowl drew a 13.8 rating (compared to the next highest 9.5), in 2010 a 13.1 rating.

So yes, I think people on the east coast must care about the Rose Bowl because if not, the rest of the country REALLY cares about the Rose Bowl.
i love the Rose Bowl. its the only game on at the right time of the day.

although this years NHL Winter Classic played into it, because...of course, philly, screwed up the ice.

If Florida St, Miami get back to being themselves, and destroy a couble of these opponents, then you will see a quick move to undue the current SEC -Big12, Pac12-Big matchups. The ACC just needs to have their teams get back to where they were 1991-2003.
The PAC 12/Big Ten matchup in the Rose Bowl will be defended to the death by those 2 conferences. Even if both of their champions make the national semi-finals, the #2 vs #2 Rose Bowl will be a very big deal to those folks. Now, if it's the Rose Bowl's turn to host a semi-final, and only one (or neither) champion makes the final four, there will be much gnashing of teeth by Delany and/or Scott.

Have been told that the Orange Bowl and ACC will definitely be tied together...this week or early next at latest. What is important is that the ACC champion will definitely be in one of the top 6 NC bowls regardless if they are not in the Orange when Orange takes the semi finals or NC. The ACC is one of the Big 5 conferences and the BE is basically out to lunch. NCState source indicating that no movement this year unless ND chooses to become an ACC member...realignment is not affecting the ACC from what I have been told.

Have been told that the Orange Bowl and ACC will definitely be tied together...this week or early next at latest. What is important is that the ACC champion will definitely be in one of the top 6 NC bowls regardless if they are not in the Orange when Orange takes the semi finals or NC. The ACC is one of the Big 5 conferences and the BE is basically out to lunch. NCState source indicating that no movement this year unless ND chooses to become an ACC member...realignment is not affecting the ACC from what I have been told.

What do you mean one of the 6 NC games? There are 3. The semis made up of 4 teams selected by a committee and the NC game. The ACC champion isn't guaranteed anything and will usually be on the outside looking in most years until a few teams become national powers again. Ties with the OB also doesn't do anything for perception compared to the other 2 bowl deals.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Bees...I have gone back to source (NCState senior Administrat ) and here is the outcome that appears happening. there is 2 semis and the NC...however there are going to be 6 total "BIG" bowls...the Orange bowl will be in the rotation for the 2 semis...if the ACC champion is not in a semi final game (one that Orange Bowl has in rotation), the ACC champion is going to be guarranteed one of the other bowls that is not hosting the semis (The ACC champion will be in the Organge Bowl all times that the Orange Bowl is not one of the semis bowls (ACC champion can be at Orange if it is in Semis. This is why the final deal has taken so long to arrive at. Think of it this way...6 overall bowls, (not counting the NC with space for 12 teams). The top 5 conferences of which ACC is considered, will have its champion in one of them...it could be the semis or one of the other bowls...this is why it was so important for the ACC to still be at the big boy table. This is how this is looking to come down...and it appears it will be this way--the ACC is going to make a whole bunch of $$$$$$.
Summary:
2 semi bowls
1 NC
4 other big bowls
total teams for 2 semi bowls and 4 other big bowls...5 conference teams in (champions most likely) plus 7 other teams based on SOS and rankings...ACC champion will be in one of these 6 bowls...
...and here is an ESPN link that is up to date on above:
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/40430/video-orange-bowl-and-the-acc

Bees...I have gone back to source (NCState senior Administrat ) and here is the outcome that appears happening. there is 2 semis and the NC...however there are going to be 6 total "BIG" bowls...the Orange bowl will be in the rotation for the 2 semis...if the ACC champion is not in a semi final game (one that Orange Bowl has in rotation), the ACC champion is going to be guarranteed one of the other bowls that is not hosting the semis (The ACC champion will be in the Organge Bowl all times that the Orange Bowl is not one of the semis bowls (ACC champion can be at Orange if it is in Semis. This is why the final deal has taken so long to arrive at. Think of it this way...6 overall bowls, (not counting the NC with space for 12 teams). The top 5 conferences of which ACC is considered, will have its champion in one of them...it could be the semis or one of the other bowls...this is why it was so important for the ACC to still be at the big boy table. This is how this is looking to come down...and it appears it will be this way--the ACC is going to make a whole bunch of $$$$$$.
Summary:
2 semi bowls
1 NC
4 other big bowls
total teams for 2 semi bowls and 4 other big bowls...5 conference teams in (champions most likely) plus 7 other teams based on SOS and rankings...ACC champion will be in one of these 6 bowls...

You just changed what you said. Yes the OB will be one of the "big" bowls as it always has. But originally you said there were 6 NC bowls and I took it to mean something different. My point is the ACC champion may get in a "big"bowls bowl but as to the 3 bowls used in any given year for the NC there is no guarantee.

Summary:
2 semi bowls
1 NC
4 other big bowls
...and here is an ESPN link that is up to date on above:
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/40430/video-orange-bowl-and-the-acc

Btw, define big bowl. 6? 1/2 those are secondary bowls.