Joe Schad: ACC to announce deal with Orange Bowl | Syracusefan.com

Joe Schad: ACC to announce deal with Orange Bowl

Against who? That matters most of all in the battle of hyperbole and nonsense that is conference positioning.

Positive announcement...the opponent might be vs. at-large/Notre Dame/Big East

kids, learn to google and understand math and english. and god forbid, read between the lines.

5 confs.

3 bowls.

and a team that is determined to be worthy.

in other words......the SEC 2nd place team.

maybe nd, but i seriously doubt that will ever happen.

unless they join a conf. (cough, ACC)

fla st and clemson or any ACC team, will not be leaving...EVER.

Positive announcement...the opponent might be vs. at-large/Notre Dame/Big East

It would seem to be the only option remaining.

kids, learn to google and understand math and english. and god forbid, read between the lines.

5 confs.

3 bowls.

and a team that is determined to be worthy.

in other words......the SEC 2nd place team.

maybe nd, but i seriously doubt that will ever happen.

unless they join a conf. (cough, ACC)

fla st and clemson or any ACC team, will not be leaving...EVER.

SEC 2nd place team already has their own bowl game vs the Bevo 2nd place team.

I'd take the B1G 2nd or 3rd place team in a minute.

true.

if im the Sugar, im PISSED at the SEC,

It cannot be Big East. It will be ND or at large.

this year that wouldve meant alabama.

on the edit, it wouldnt.

the Orange wouldnt have been final 4.

It should be the highest ranked team not already committed to a bowl (Final Four, Rose, SEC-Bevo). Could be B1G #3, Boise, SEC #3/4, <cough> NNBE #1 <cough>, etc..

Who we play is important, but so is what they pay. The fastest way to put out a realignment fire is to smother it with cash.

If our 1st place team can only get the 2nd or 3rd place team from one of the other big conferences, don't you think that makes our conference look weaker? ACC will never be looked at as a peer conference to the Big 4 if it can't match up a #1 vs #1.

This entire discussion is so bizarre. The Orange Bowl (Or Sugar for that matter) will only come into play when those teams are not selected in the Top 4, right? So if the ACC #1 team is not picked in the Top 4, they are by default going to likely get somebody's #2, or an at-large/NNBE selection. And if the ACC#1 IS taken in the Top 4, there is a good chance the Orange Bowl will be a host, or will default to ACC #2 against someone else's #2, right?

If our 1st place team can only get the 2nd or 3rd place team from one of the other big conferences, don't you think that makes our conference look weaker? ACC will never be looked at as a peer conference to the Big 4 if it can't match up a #1 vs #1.

How can you possibly get a 1 vs 1 match-up in the Orange Bowl?

B1G #1 will play PAC12 #1 in the Rose Bowl (unless one or both of them gets selected for the FF).

SEC #1 will play BEVO #1 in the new SEC/BEVO Bowl (unless they both get selected for the FF).

So, who's left for the ACC #1 or #2 to match-up with in the Orange Bowl?

You really want the BE, CUSA or MWC Champ every year? Because those would be the only #1's that are left.

This entire discussion is so bizarre. The Orange Bowl (Or Sugar for that matter) will only come into play when those teams are not selected in the Top 4, right? So if the ACC #1 team is not picked in the Top 4, they are by default going to likely get somebody's #2, or an at-large/NNBE selection. And if the ACC#1 IS taken in the Top 4, there is a good chance the Orange Bowl will be a host, or will default to ACC #2 against someone else's #2, right?
That is how I read it...I bet you'll see Notre Dame and the ACC hooking up at the Orange Bowl with ND (if they reach a certain predetermined rank).

B1G #1 will play PAC12 #1 in the Rose Bowl (unless one or both of them gets selected for the FF).

SEC #1 will play BEVO #1 in the new SEC/BEVO Bowl (unless they both get selected for the FF).

You really want the BE, CUSA or MWC Champ every year? Because those would be the only #1's that are left.
why does it matter?

EVERY bowl, other than the final 4...has been rendered useless.

the Orange will take the best option out there, except for years when they are 1 of the chosen 2.

That's my point.

There is no clear or elegant solution now.

The ACC wasn't being proactive (at least in public) when the SEC and Big 12 made their bowl pact earlier this month. By allowing the top finishers in the other Big four conferences to get tied up with bowl games, they now have the perception of being a lower class conference because they don't have a peer dancing partner.

The top remaining at-large team - The Big 12 did this for 20-something years with the Orange Bowl.

That's my point.

There is no clear or elegant solution now.

The ACC wasn't being proactive (at least in public) when the SEC and Big 12 made their bowl pact earlier this month. By allowing the top finishers in the other Big four conferences to get tied up with bowl games, they now have the perception of being a lower class conference because they don't have a peer dancing partner.

Well, I still view the Big12 as being lesser than the ACC, simply by the dynamics of that "conference." That's my perception.

Out of Teels' article.

"Also Tuesday, Swofford all but announced that the ACC will renew ties with the Orange Bowl, contracting the conference champion to the Miami-based game.
“We’ve got a great relationship with the Orange Bowl,” he said. “A lot of prestige in that game. A lot of great history in college football in that game, and we’ll probably have something on that in the very near future.”

That arrangement will include possible Orange Bowl opponents for the ACC, and I’d bet on Notre Dame’s involvement.

“Those discussions are ongoing right now,” Swofford said. “Certainly it will be a quality opponent in all likelihood on New Year’s Day, and that’s a great circumstance for the ACC.”

Indeed, all six of the bowls in the playoff semifinal rotation will be News Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day, a welcome change from the BCS, which stages games without regard to fans’ convenience.

If the ACC champion does not qualify for the playoff in a year the Orange Bowl hosts a semifinal, the ACC team will be guaranteed a spot in another BCS game."

I think the ACC's mistake here is sticking with the Orange Bowl.

The real benefit of the Champions Bowl is that the SEC and Big 12 own that game. No bowl representatives will be siphoning anything off the top. The Orange Bowl will still have their entirely useless committee hanging around stealing money.

I hope they really stuck it to the Orange Bowl to re-up. The Orange Bowl had zero leverage to bring them back, I hope they are paying them barely anything more than it would take to stage their own ACC bowl.

Out of Teels' article.

"Also Tuesday, Swofford all but announced that the ACC will renew ties with the Orange Bowl, contracting the conference champion to the Miami-based game.
“We’ve got a great relationship with the Orange Bowl,” he said. “A lot of prestige in that game. A lot of great history in college football in that game, and we’ll probably have something on that in the very near future.”

That arrangement will include possible Orange Bowl opponents for the ACC, and I’d bet on Notre Dame’s involvement.

“Those discussions are ongoing right now,” Swofford said. “Certainly it will be a quality opponent in all likelihood on New Year’s Day, and that’s a great circumstance for the ACC.”

Indeed, all six of the bowls in the playoff semifinal rotation will be News Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day, a welcome change from the BCS, which stages games without regard to fans’ convenience.

If the ACC champion does not qualify for the playoff in a year the Orange Bowl hosts a semifinal, the ACC team will be guaranteed a spot in another BCS game."
the last paragraph is all i need to know.

perfect.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Like it or not the ND fans will travel especially from the Midwest to Fla. in Jan.