Joe's PER double Starling's , what does it say about offenses | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Joe's PER double Starling's , what does it say about offenses

Its talent and system. We ask our guards to create offense. Joe can slide in there and play less minutes and have the ball in his hands less. They use him for his strong points as a catch and shoot player. When used properly his efficiency has improved drastically.
I think we should get catch and shoot players

Need to give Cuffe a chance at the 2. JJ is no benefit to the team. Same for three of our other starters. Benny and Cope belong at the 3 & 4.

Need to give Cuffe a chance at the 2. JJ is no benefit to the team. Same for three of our other starters. Benny and Cope belong at the 3 & 4.
That's absolute hyperbole about JJ. While Cuffe should get some of his minutes, he'll really need to step it up because he hasn't been very good to date.

I think we should get catch and shoot players
Two years ago, Most of our starting lineup were catch and shoot guys (Joe, Buddy, Jimmy and Cole) and we had our worst record in 50 years. Now we have good drivers but need more shooters or at least ones who can do more than shoot.

Two years ago, Most of our starting lineup were catch and shoot guys (Joe, Buddy, Jimmy and Cole) and we had our worst record in 50 years. Now we have good drivers but need more shooters or at least ones who can do more than shoot.
We load up on the same players with the same skills and weaknesses. Need to diversify.

Yeah, having a senior PJ Hall and a senior JG3 is a good start to a top-20 team. Their top-4 guys in PER (Hall, Schieffelin, JG3, and Godfrey) are 1, 5, 2, and 6 on the team in FGAs. The two others in the top-6 in FGA (Wiggins and Hunter) are their top 3-point shooters other than Joe and Hall. And they're not slouches. For comparison, On Syracuse the top-5 in FGAs (and their respective team rank in PER) are, in order: Judah (4), Starling(6), Bell(7), Taylor (9), and Copeland (5).

Too many shots taken by guys who aren't scoring leads to poor efficiency.

Also, Syracuse's leaders in FGA have disappeared in admittedly limited conference play. PER isn't the end all be all, but it's a good barometer of offensive contributions.
Player (Season PER) (Conference PER)
Mintz (22.2) (10.8)​
Starling (10.6) (10.8)​
Bell (10.1) (-3.1)​
Taylor (9.0) (1.8)​
Copeland (20.1) (25.1)​
Brown (26) (31.6)​
Brown should be leading the team in FGA.
Browns shots are almost exclusively dunks and layups. He doesn’t take tough shots. Obviously would be great if we could get more dunk and layup opportunities. Brown shooting more would likely just mean he’s taking more difficult shots and making fewer.

Browns shots are almost exclusively dunks and layups. He doesn’t take tough shots. Obviously would be great if we could get more dunk and layup opportunities. Brown shooting more would likely just mean he’s taking more difficult shots and making fewer.
23-26 from the line, 2-5 from 3

i know syracuse is built around difficult shots but i hope someday we have an offense where brown gets open shots and takes them because someone who goes 23-26 from the line in games is capable

Which is true. If Syracuse ran any kind of offense that focused on getting Brown cleaner looks in the paint they'd be better for it. And they do sometimes, Cope especially, but not enough considering his skill set. Right now, I think he can be a good enough shooter from three if he's got an open look and a 1/2 second to take his shot. The only mid-range shots I'd like to see this team taking is from the line against a zone - they take far too many fade aways and jumpers.

Red and JJ go back a long ways.
The implication here, intended or not, seems to be that Autry is playing Starling for the wrong reasons.

You think Autry isn't playing Starling because he's the best player for the job, but instead because they "go back a long ways?"

Starling has loads of raw talent, was a McDonald's All American, and it's only 15 games into his sophomore season... He might very well put it all together and become a star overnight. Or he might continue to be a mid quality ACC starter.

Let's hold off on the accusations of nepotism.

If that is what you were doing.

Last edited:
Taylor cant find his own shot? Maybe you run some off ball screens to free him up.

JJ and Judah struggling from the 3? Don't play them with two other guys who also cant hit threes in Benny and Quadir, just clogs up the paint with defenders.

When you run the pick and roll, pass to the roller once to make a roll a real threat and not just an exercise in futility.

These things are so obvious that it drives me crazy we don't do them. We have a terrific isolation player in Mintz, but that shouldn't preclude having an actual offense. It's nice to have in the bag when the defense has stopped the plays you are running.

Mintz (or Starling, or Copeland) getting the ball at the top of the key and just beating their man is something we should be doing with 5 seconds on the shot clock, not every possession.

23-26 from the line, 2-5 from 3

i know syracuse is built around difficult shots but i hope someday we have an offense where brown gets open shots and takes them because someone who goes 23-26 from the line in games is capable
What do free throws have to do with his shot attempts? If we could have him shooting free throws every possession that would be awesome. Citing a sample of 2/5 from 3 is beneath you

Which is true. If Syracuse ran any kind of offense that focused on getting Brown cleaner looks in the paint they'd be better for it. And they do sometimes, Cope especially, but not enough considering his skill set. Right now, I think he can be a good enough shooter from three if he's got an open look and a 1/2 second to take his shot. The only mid-range shots I'd like to see this team taking is from the line against a zone - they take far too many fade aways and jumpers.
I’m starting to think qadir , despite his lack of experience and his tendency to make mistakes , is already the best player on the team. He is the only player on the team that makes others better

What do free throws have to do with his shot attempts? If we could have him shooting free throws every possession that would be awesome. Citing a sample of 2/5 from 3 is beneath you
Making free throws and making shots are similar skills and are correlated

Since I think he can shoot, I would like to see him do that more.

Elvira ovcina got the green light and he was terrible

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom