John Desko Announces Retirement | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

John Desko Announces Retirement

Regardless of how this was done (or how the PR side might've been mishandled)...

There was no doubt John Desko would handle this situation with supreme class and dignity.

To me that says almost as much about his dedication to the institution as his 40+ years of success.
^^^^^^^^^^
This

One of the Giants of the Game is leaving. It was odd not to see Coach Simmons on the SU sideline and took a while to get used to it and it will be just as odd not to see Coach Desko there and will also take a while to get used to it.
It’ll be even weirder if Pietramala is on the sideline

Syracuse AD John Wildhack stepped up to the podium. He says that today is about honoring Desko and his work not only winning championships, but helping in the development of thousands of young men over his 30+ years as a part of SU Lacrosse as a player, assistant, and head coach.

Desko now at the podium: "I've had thoughts, and I've had people reach out to me, literally thousands, and that was very emotional ... It started to kick in when I started hearing from everybody."

Desko thanks his family and his wife, Cindy, for being with him every step of the way. He adds that he now has a better appreciation for Cindy and what she’s done for him.

Desko: "It's hard for me not to shed a tear here, looking at my staff." Acknowledges Lelan Rogers, Pat March and Kevin Donahue, specifically. Then, "Roy III, get over here." Makes Director of Operations Roy Simmons III come up to the program, and they embrace.

Desko points to Simmons saying that no one loves Syracuse Lacrosse more than that guy.

Desko ends his speech saying that he has a yard sale coming up. Stay tuned.

Desko asked why he’s retiring now: I almost still don’t know the answer. Weekends in summer you’re on the road all the time. Just to be with family at home, I love to go to lake in the summertime.

Desko: Gary Gait said I should remain having a presence around the team. I’m going to support Syracuse and Syracuse lacrosse all the way.

Desko on difficulty of decision: Easier than I thought. I’m not packing and rushing out the door to hop on the plane. I’m being around family more.

Desko asked if he could have come back next year. I think so.

Desko on one lasting memory for him in his time with SU: "It's never about I, or me, it's about 'we' as a group...I'm really proud of everything we've accomplished."

"I'm so happy with that, I see so many benefits going forward" -Desko on Gary Gait taking over as the program's 5th head coach.

Desko on new Head Coach Gary Gait: "I'm so happy about that...it's great to have him there, I think it'll be seamless. I'm going to help him in any way I can. I'm going to watch him win Championships."

Desko said that he told his players over a Zoom meeting and that it was great to hear from them. He also added that he met with the seniors before they left and it was great to reconnect with them.

Desko: Gary and I have sat around the fire for a number of summers. I think he’ll be open and comfortable asking questions.

Desko on trying to improve the game: "I was on the rules committee for a bit...we actually voted in the shot clock. There was an uproar when we put that in...it was so drastic at that time. We thought it was best for the game."

Desko adds that the faceoff is the next thing the NCAA needs to address.

Desko: I don’t know whether I can rule out coaching again. Depends on his role at SU and how he adapts to having more time in his life. We’ll see. Haven’t thought about it.

Desko said that he’s still trying to figure out how he’s feeling and what it’ll be like not coaching again. He added that he’s happy he’ll be invited to come visit the program under Coach Gait. “It’s weird in a way, it’s appreciative. The coffee’s free here” so he’ll be back.

Last edited:

Syracuse AD John Wildhack stepped up to the podium. He says that today is about honoring Desko and his work not only winning championships, but helping in the development of thousands of young men over his 30+ years as a part of SU Lacrosse as a player, assistant, and head coach.

Desko now at the podium: "I've had thoughts, and I've had people reach out to me, literally thousands, and that was very emotional ... It started to kick in when I started hearing from everybody."

Desko thanks his family and his wife, Cindy, for being with him every step of the way. He adds that he now has a better appreciation for Cindy and what she’s done for him.

Desko: "It's hard for me not to shed a tear here, looking at my staff." Acknowledges Lelan Rogers, Pat March and Kevin Donahue, specifically. Then, "Roy III, get over here." Makes Director of Operations Roy Simmons III come up to the program, and they embrace.

Desko points to Simmons saying that no one loves Syracuse Lacrosse more than that guy.

Desko asked why he’s retiring now: I almost still don’t know the answer. Weekends in summer you’re on the road all the time. Just to be with family at home, I love to go to lake in the summertime.

Desko: Gary Gait said I should remain having a presence around the team. I’m going to support Syracuse and Syracuse lacrosse all the way.

Desko on difficulty of decision: Easier than I thought. I’m not packing and rushing out the door to hop on the plane. I’m being around family more.

Desko on one lasting memory for him in his time with SU: "It's never about I, or me, it's about 'we' as a group...I'm really proud of everything we've accomplished."

"I'm so happy with that, I see so many benefits going forward" -Desko on Gary Gait taking over as the program's 5th head coach.

Desko on new Head Coach Gary Gait: "I'm so happy about that...it's great to have him there, I think it'll be seamless. I'm going to help him in any way I can. I'm going to watch him win Championships."

Desko said that he told his players over a Zoom meeting and that it was great to hear from them. He also added that he met with the seniors before they left and it was great to reconnect with them.

Desko: Gary and I have sat around the fire for a number of summers. I think he’ll be open and comfortable asking questions.

Desko on trying to improve the game: "I was on the rules committee for a bit...we actually voted in the shot clock. There was an uproar when we put that in...it was so drastic at that time. We thought it was best for the game."

Desko: I don’t know whether I can rule out coaching again. Depends on his role at SU and how he adapts to having more time in his life. We’ll see. Haven’t thought about it.

Desko said that he’s still trying to figure out how he’s feeling and what it’ll be like not coaching again. He added that he’s happy he’ll be invited to come visit the program under Coach Gait. “It’s weird in a way, it’s appreciative. The coffee’s free here” so he’ll be back.
citizen kane applause GIF

He should be upset about the face off rule, it contributed to him leaving earlier than he really wanted to

thing is stepping aside could be the best thing that ever happened to him

Well done press conference, Desko very classy. Tough to see RSIII getting so emotional. This job has been their entire lives since they were teenagers. Don't know how many people can truly appreciate that. The big takeaways for me -

-Desko wanting to stay involved with the program. That's really good to hear, he could be a huge resource for Gait and the rest of the staff. He has more knowledge in his pinky finger than all of us on this board combined. Curious to see how much/little time he spends around the team. You don't want to step on the current coaches' feet, but the current players really seem to still admire him.

-It did not sound like this was really his decision. He was asked multiple times "why now", and I can't remember the exact quote, but something along the lines of, "after talking to John (Wildhack) ...". Still seemed very gracious and passionate about SU lacrosse, but was kind of telling that he didn't really have a very solid answer to that question.

-He has spent time reaching out to current recruits to keep them engaged with Syracuse, which is great to hear. Not a lot of coaches who leave their schools would spend time making sure they are set up for the future, and reassuring them about coming to the school. Was striking to hear him correct himself to say they were, "Gait's recruits" and not "his".

-Lastly, he was very excited about Gait being named his successor, and it didn't sound at all like he was exaggerating. Hopefully that makes the transition a little easier.

The talk of being of assistance alway sounds good initially but usually fades unless fulfilling a official role with compensation. Coach D is a HOF who wont disappear but from my experience undefined talk of staying involved never works out unless carved out with clear role. Perhaps an official appt of ambassador is appropriate.

Desko has always been a good statesman .It was a awkward conference but handled as well as could be thanks to his class . Some answers were purposely ambiguous. Not sure I could have responded to Axe in such a politeful manner.

Still perplexed by Simmons III retirement since little reason for it . Adjunct function that added so much ancillary benefit to the program and players.. He should have his own day someday for all his contributions.

See Coach Rodgers attended, many thanks should be forthcoming to him also.

From all accounts and appearances Coach Desko is a fine human being and bleeds Orange.

That was sad to watch. Very clear he is not leaving on his own accord. I hope he finds some peace with his family and whatever he chooses to do next.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom