John Wildhack’s Contract Extended Through Mid-2025 | Syracusefan.com

John Wildhack’s Contract Extended Through Mid-2025

he deserves an extensions because of what he’s done internally. Staff and processes within the AD, support staff and systems for ALL our athletic teams. If you saw what John inherited to where we are today, your jaw would drop...

I guess so I don’t know what that means. Must be some great systems. The big football gift is something that came from it then maybe I am way off.

It definitely has nothing to do with Football or Basketball success. Wildhack caved to king jim boeheim when he could have shown some leadership told him to retire. Wildhack hasn’t hired a coach for any sport.

maybe I am crazy as I have no clue who else we could get but I just think he is overrated.

I guess so I don’t know what that means. Must be some great systems. The big football gift is something that came from it then maybe I am way off.

It definitely has nothing to do with Football or Basketball success. Wildhack caved to king jim boeheim when he could have shown some leadership told him to retire. Wildhack hasn’t hired a coach for any sport.

maybe I am crazy as I have no clue who else we could get but I just think he is overrated.

He funded lacrosse. Would’ve won a title last year. Giving Dino what he needs when Dino asks. Getting high end student athlete input on future projects to best suit their needs. Guy is really impressive with N open door. Lucky he came home.

He funded lacrosse. Would’ve won a title last year. Giving Dino what he needs when Dino asks. Getting high end student athlete input on future projects to best suit their needs. Guy is really impressive with N open door. Lucky he came home.

best AD we have had since Jake.

was this done as a counter to ACC commissioner job?

If all an AD does is hire coaches, they have way too much down time.

What do you expect an AD to do out of curiosity?
Manage athletic department finances, programs and coaching staffs to establish winning programs especially basketball and football. Which he has not done.

No need to dwell on it. I just don’t understand why everyone thinks he is so unbelievable. I am in the minority I know.

I think we can all agree constant people turnover is bad especially when you have competent people in current roles

Manage athletic department finances, programs and coaching staffs to establish winning programs especially basketball and football. Which he has not done.

No need to dwell on it. I just don’t understand why everyone thinks he is so unbelievable. I am in the minority I know.

I don't thnk this is an unfair discussion. It's not like football and basketball have experienced unprecedented success while JW has been here. But what would you have done differently than what he has done? Were you against extending Dino when he did? It seems like Dino has gotten more support staff than we have ever had before and changes were made quickly after last season's disappointment. Sure we lost out on Arnett as DC but it sounds like we really stepped up to the plate with money - he just wanted to coach in the SEC. For basketball, would you have kept the timeline for JB's exit after Hop had left and hired outside the program?

Last edited:

How do we know he isn't doing that? There were major changes made to the football staff this offseason. Don't you think he and Dino had discussions about those before they happened? JB likely has more autonomy, and that's to be expected unless the program implodes.

Last edited:
I don't thnk this is an unfair discussion. It's not like football and basketball have experienced unprecedented success while JW has been here. But what would you have done differently than what he has done? Were you against extending Dino when he did? It seems like Dino has gotten more support staff than we have ever had before and changes were made quickly after last season's disappointment. Sure we lost out on Arnett as DC but it sounds like we really stepped up to the plate with money - he just wanted to coach in the SEC. For basketball, would you have kept the timeline for JB's exit after Hop had left and hired outside the program?

Cool. For the record, I am not being a contrarian just to start an argument:) Maybe Wildhack did do all the right moves. You mention a lot of things that look great.

I was not against extending Dino but I am also a irrational, emotional Syracuse fan, who might not be the best person for making these long term decisions. I was so scared that Dino was going to be the next coach at USC or wherever. I was all for extending him. Which still is probably the right call? Who knows?

Maybe if I looked at it objectively as a leader, I might say that year we might have been really, really good because we just happened to catch a few teams in our division on a down year and we had a quarterback (who the prior coach recruited) for the last few years that had the hot hand. Or we had been able to avoid the injury bug or create an aberration of turnovers in bunches. There are some things that are far above talent and skill that make up wins. There's luck involved, no doubt about it. Maybe as AD, he could have taken the risk and looked at another year sample before extending him.

Maybe he did not have to do extend after his 3rd year. This is all 20/20 hindsight but I think that an AD has to take some emotion out of it and make the best long term decision. Perhaps the national athletics climate just calls for this practice. Pat Narducci keeps getting extensions? Dave Doeren at NC State? The fear of negative recruiting if Dino is not under an extended contract might drive it. I just seems crazy to me that they have to make these decisions so quickly.

Was there any doubt that JB was calling the shots and was not going to leave after the 2017-18 season. Maybe Wildhack could have been playing the long game and had been searching for a new coach. The last few years were impacted by NCAA penalties which fair or not are on JB. I know he blames rogue YMCA, Director of Basketball Ops, etc. I think a new coach could have probably had the same record or maybe even better over the past few years. This is a harder one to do as JB is the man and has done so much for Syracuse.

Also, I worry about Wildhack's coaching network. Does he have the ability to run a search and recruit the best coaches to Syracuse? We are extending him based on revenues, ACC Network contracts, stewarding the dome renovations, etc. which is fine I guess.

Again, I might be a complete moron. Just food for thought.

Cool. For the record, I am not being a contrarian just to start an argument:) Maybe Wildhack did do all the right moves. You mention a lot of things that look great.

I was not against extending Dino but I am also a irrational, emotional Syracuse fan, who might not be the best person for making these long term decisions. I was so scared that Dino was going to be the next coach at USC or wherever. I was all for extending him. Which still is probably the right call? Who knows?

Maybe if I looked at it objectively as a leader, I might say that year we might have been really, really good because we just happened to catch a few teams in our division on a down year and we had a quarterback (who the prior coach recruited) for the last few years that had the hot hand. Or we had been able to avoid the injury bug or create an aberration of turnovers in bunches. There are some things that are far above talent and skill that make up wins. There's luck involved, no doubt about it. Maybe as AD, he could have taken the risk and looked at another year sample before extending him.

Maybe he did not have to do extend after his 3rd year. This is all 20/20 hindsight but I think that an AD has to take some emotion out of it and make the best long term decision. Perhaps the national athletics climate just calls for this practice. Pat Narducci keeps getting extensions? Dave Doeren at NC State? The fear of negative recruiting if Dino is not under an extended contract might drive it. I just seems crazy to me that they have to make these decisions so quickly.

Was there any doubt that JB was calling the shots and was not going to leave after the 2017-18 season. Maybe Wildhack could have been playing the long game and had been searching for a new coach. The last few years were impacted by NCAA penalties which fair or not are on JB. I know he blames rogue YMCA, Director of Basketball Ops, etc. I think a new coach could have probably had the same record or maybe even better over the past few years. This is a harder one to do as JB is the man and has done so much for Syracuse.

Also, I worry about Wildhack's coaching network. Does he have the ability to run a search and recruit the best coaches to Syracuse? We are extending him based on revenues, ACC Network contracts, stewarding the dome renovations, etc. which is fine I guess.

Again, I might be a complete moron. Just food for thought.
Honestly this is a fair take don’t apologize.
Wildhack has people who think we should bend the knee at his presence for him just taking the job.
He has helped the conference with ESPN that is probably accurate.
I think he ia doing an okay job but it’s not like he has done a perfect great job.

He has been okay. People can have the opinion you have here. I am from Missouri towards Wildhack. He has to show me. I am not saying he is doing a poor job I think we should still have and wait see with him when he gets tested.

Honestly this is a fair take don’t apologize.
Wildhack has people who think we should bend the knee at his presence for him just taking the job.
He has helped the conference with ESPN that is probably accurate.
I think he ia doing an okay job but it’s not like he has done a perfect great job.

He has been okay. People can have the opinion you have here. I am from Missouri towards Wildhack. He has to show me. I am not saying he is doing a poor job I think we should still have and wait see with him when he gets tested.

He got tested when Dino went 10-3.

He got tested when Dino went 10-3.
How? Dino had leverage and got an extension that any AD would give the coach.

That was standard operating procedure. If Wildhack and the AD don’t give Dino what he deserved then that is more of a negative than a positive for the AD.

Wildhack has done nothing to prove he is good at the job. He also hasn’t done anything to show he is in over his head.

Hé has done an okay job. That isn’t a criticism either. I am just not going to say he has done a great job. We have had issues.
The time it took to make a decision on the Dome wasn’t great.
Coyle was the guy who did an outstanding job cleaning up the mess he inherited and hired Dino and started fixing the finances within the AD.

Wildhack inherited a job that wasn’t a cleanup. That was Coyle. Wildhack helping the conference with ESPN and the ACCN is probably where he has had the most impact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom