John Wildhack’s Contract Extended Through Mid-2025 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

John Wildhack’s Contract Extended Through Mid-2025

How? Dino had leverage and got an extension that any AD would give the coach.

That was standard operating procedure. If Wildhack and the AD don’t give Dino what he deserved then that is more of a negative than a positive for the AD.

Wildhack has done nothing to prove he is good at the job. He also hasn’t done anything to show he is in over his head.

Hé has done an okay job. That isn’t a criticism either. I am just not going to say he has done a great job. We have had issues.
The time it took to make a decision on the Dome wasn’t great.
Coyle was the guy who did an outstanding job cleaning up the mess he inherited and hired Dino and started fixing the finances within the AD.

Wildhack inherited a job that wasn’t a cleanup. That was Coyle. Wildhack helping the conference with ESPN and the ACCN is probably where he has had the most impact.

He made staying a better option, it's more than just paying the guy. If you believe he's done nothing to prove he's good at the job no one is going to give you a list on this site.

Coyle did one great thing. He also looked around, figured out where the power centers were, and decided eh and moved on.

He made staying a better option, it's more than just paying the guy. If you believe he's done nothing to prove he's good at the job no one is going to give you a list on this site.

Coyle did one great thing. He also looked around, figured out where the power centers were, and decided eh and moved on.
I say what I say because I am not convinced Wildhack fires Shafer after year 3.
Coyle did it.
Maybe Wildhack would have I don’t know.
I am not going to say he has been outstanding when he has had a pretty smooth experience as AD because of a lot of stuff Coyle did.

Coyle your right didn’t want to fight Boeheim and got a similar job and left.

Coyle did it.
I am not going to say he has been outstanding when he has had a pretty smooth experience as AD because of a lot of stuff Coyle did.

Why not? Shafer was a horrible coach, not his hire, easiest guy to fire (2nd easiest) any of us have ever seen.

This is all bits and pieces stuff from me granted, haven't thought about it in ages, but we had zippy as far as institutional fundraising under Gross. Coyle looked around, asked where the alumni was, and figured it out quick. That I can 10000% vouch for. Cuse is a big job, not an easy job, takes a certain type.

Why not? Shafer was a horrible coach, not his hire, easiest guy to fire (2nd easiest) any of us have ever seen.

This is all bits and pieces stuff from me granted, haven't thought about it in ages, but we had zippy as far as institutional fundraising under Gross. Coyle looked around, asked where the alumni was, and figured it out quick. That I can 10000% vouch for. Cuse is a big job, not an easy job, takes a certain type.
I am not saying fire Wildhack or I am disappointed in his performance or he doesn’t deserve an extension.
All I have said he has to do show me when time comes for action. He has had a pretty easy road thus far IMO.
Which isn’t a bad thing either.

I am just not calling his performance great. It’s solid.

Manage athletic department finances, programs and coaching staffs to establish winning programs especially basketball and football. Which he has not done.

No need to dwell on it. I just don’t understand why everyone thinks he is so unbelievable. I am in the minority I know.

You don’t think football is in a better place? He has a 10-win season on his watch and better facilities.

Lacrosse was #1 in the Us before shutdown.

Basketball is under Boeheim.

I omens has added great assistant coaches and better recruiting classes.

And the Done is getting a nine-figure overhaul.

Advancement and stability are usually polar opposite. He has insured both.

You don’t think football is in a better place? He has a 10-win season on his watch and better facilities.

Lacrosse was #1 in the Us before shutdown.

Basketball is under Boeheim.

I omens has added great assistant coaches and better recruiting classes.

And the Done is getting a nine-figure overhaul.

Advancement and stability are usually polar opposite. He has insured both.

The ten win football season could have been an outlier. On paper, Dino has never built and sustained a program in his career as a head coach. His head coaching track record suggests a few good seasons and departing. Bowling Green and Eastern Illinois fell off the map after he left. Maybe that has more to do with Dino's system or it could possibly be that he does not have the recruiting acumen or eye for talent to get the right personnel in the door to sustain success. His system could create blip winning seasons if the right talent is in place? Other teams might figure it out. This all might be completely false but it is possible.

Did anyone see a 10 win or winning season this year? Maybe us diehards but not the national pundits. Is one 10 win season and a few upsets along the way enough for our fanbase? Do we want a sustained winning program? What is Wildhack's vision?

The Dome roof renovation was happening no matter who was sitting in the AD chair. It is my understanding that the inflatable material was no longer being produced and we were at a time when a new plan had to happen one way or another. It is also not like Wildhack alone made the call or came up with the funding for the project.

For the record, I am not for firing everyone every year. No one is perfect and Wildhack has done a lot of great things for Syracuse. Maybe he is the right answer. To say Wildhack's extension was a slam dunk and no brainer seems a little off to me.
There are going to be some big time decisions to be made in the next 5 to 6 years for Syracuse Athletics. We will need a new head coach in Basketball, maybe Lacrosse (Desko age 63; will be 25 plus years as head coach at the end of Wildhack's extension) and if we have a few losing seasons maybe even Football. Athletics will likely be in a financial crunch post COVID.
Wildhack has a big job ahead.

There are going to be some big time decisions to be made in the next 5 to 6 years for Syracuse Athletics. We will need a new head coach in Basketball, maybe Lacrosse (Desko age 63; will be 25 plus years as head coach at the end of Wildhack's extension) and if we have a few losing seasons maybe even Football. Athletics will likely be in a financial crunch post COVID.
Wildhack has a big job ahead.
Took a long time for someone to say the key thing to all of this.

Wildhack hasn't had to make a high profile coaching hire in the 4 years he's been here. In the next 5-6 years, he will need to make at least 1, if not 3.

Coyle wasn't here long enough to do anything meaningful with budgets, fundraising, aligning the SUAD better, etc. He came, he fired Scott Shafer, he hired Dino, he started Cuse Council and he left.

He might have turned out to be a good AD had he stayed. 311 days at that type of position is a blink of an eye.

John has straightened out finances. John has made major improvements in fund raising that were desperately needed. The Lally gift of $25 million is the biggest but a lot more has been done here.

The SU AD used to report to Finance at Syracuse. That is an awful setup designed to take money from the department and ensure they cannot be successful. John got that changed so he reports to the chancellor.

The SU athletic department has to work closely with many elements of the university. The professors, the BOT, the chancellor, food services, the people managing the dome, physical plant services, etc. The relationship has not always been great with these groups. John is great at building relationships, getting alignment and getting departments and special interest groups to work together. His political acumen has been a major asset for the athletic department (and the university as a whole).

John was the driving force behind the dome renovation project, which is going to be the biggest investment the university has ever made to Syracuse athletics (even though SU is not running the project; SU still has some organizational changes that need to be made).

He played a huge role in getting the ACC network in place.

He retained Dino and has given him what he needs to be successful. The staffing has been bumped considerably. The recruiting budget is much bigger. The money for assistant coaches has been raised to levels competitive with peer schools. This is unheard of for Syracuse.

As for hires, I think he hired Nicky Adams as the new women's soccer coach. That was a total rebuild and we won't know for years how that goes.

Shannon Doepking was hired as the new softball coach. Again, that program was in bad shape and it will take a while to see how she does. But early returns for both coaches are good.

I think John hired Luke McGee as the new women's rowing coach. Again, too early to know how this is going to work out. But his background (former US Olympic national team coach) is very good.

Lastly, John hired Brien Bell as the head coach of the SU cross country and track teams (men's and women's) in 2018 and he appears to be a very good hire. The SU men's cross country team is a bonafide national power.

To me, the biggest thing he has done since he has been the AD is to treat the athletic department as a business. He is always aware of the bottom line, always trying to make sure initiatives make sense, are aligned with long term goals and will pay off in the end. He understands Syracuse, understands SU will always have some limitations other schools might not and is going to have to be smarter to be better than some of the other schools we are competing with. The concept of treating the department as a business is not something that was done well in the past.

Coyle did it.

Coyle wasn't here long enough to do anything meaningful with budgets, fundraising, aligning the SUAD better, etc. He came, he fired Scott Shafer, he hired Dino, he started Cuse Council and he left.

He might have turned out to be a good AD had he stayed. 311 days at that type of position is a blink of an eye.

John has straightened out finances. John has made major improvements in fund raising that were desperately needed. The Lally gift of $25 million is the biggest but a lot more has been done here.

The SU AD used to report to Finance at Syracuse. That is an awful setup designed to take money from the department and ensure they cannot be successful. John got that changed so he reports to the chancellor.

The SU athletic department has to work closely with many elements of the university. The professors, the BOT, the chancellor, food services, the people managing the dome, physical plant services, etc. The relationship has not always been great with these groups. John is great at building relationships, getting alignment and getting departments and special interest groups to work together. His political acumen has been a major asset for the athletic department (and the university as a whole).

John was the driving force behind the dome renovation project, which is going to be the biggest investment the university has ever made to Syracuse athletics (even though SU is not running the project; SU still has some organizational changes that need to be made).

He played a huge role in getting the ACC network in place.

He retained Dino and has given him what he needs to be successful. The staffing has been bumped considerably. The recruiting budget is much bigger. The money for assistant coaches has been raised to levels competitive with peer schools. This is unheard of for Syracuse.

As for hires, I think he hired Nicky Adams as the new women's soccer coach. That was a total rebuild and we won't know for years how that goes.

Shannon Doepking was hired as the new softball coach. Again, that program was in bad shape and it will take a while to see how she does. But early returns for both coaches are good.

I think John hired Luke McGee as the new women's rowing coach. Again, too early to know how this is going to work out. But his background (former US Olympic national team coach) is very good.

Lastly, John hired Brien Bell as the head coach of the SU cross country and track teams (men's and women's) in 2018 and he appears to be a very good hire. The SU men's cross country team is a bonafide national power.

To me, the biggest thing he has done since he has been the AD is to treat the athletic department as a business. He is always aware of the bottom line, always trying to make sure initiatives make sense, are aligned with long term goals and will pay off in the end. He understands Syracuse, understands SU will always have some limitations other schools might not and is going to have to be smarter to be better than some of the other schools we are competing with. The concept of treating the department as a business is not something that was done well in the past.

John is an incredible asset to the university. Most of the stuff, as Tom alludes to, is in the background. But he gets it. I've dealt with him a few times and he's incredible. Loves the alum, respects what Syracuse is.

Syracuse is in good shape with him and he's invested in this so we're lucky he's not looking at this as a way to get somewhere else.

As a managing executive the primary responsibility in any business is to build a staff that can execute to the enterprise's vision and provide levels of leadership to ensure effective execution. While the head football and mens' basketball coaches may be the most visible positions on his staff, there are dozens of roles that are essential to a well run department. Browse the resumes of some of the individuals that John has hired since coming onboard in 2016

People like Scott Hecht, Jordan Kligerman, Andy Hurley, Rachel Duffy and many others have put a foundation in place for continued excellence. And each of these will tell you that one of the compeeling reasons to come onboard was John Wildhack.

In terms of having the wherewithal to hire headlining coaches, I'll go back to the comment Mike Tirico made when he was asked about his alma mater hiring someone with no academic administration experience. "Have you seen John Wildhack's rolodex?!"

As a managing executive the primary responsibility in any business is to build a staff that can execute to the enterprise's vision and provide levels of leadership to ensure effective execution. While the head football and mens' basketball coaches may be the most visible positions on his staff, there are dozens of roles that are essential to a well run department. Browse the resumes of some of the individuals that John has hired since coming onboard in 2016

People like Scott Hecht, Jordan Kligerman, Andy Hurley, Rachel Duffy and many others have put a foundation in place for continued excellence. And each of these will tell you that one of the compeeling reasons to come onboard was John Wildhack.

In terms of having the wherewithal to hire headlining coaches, I'll go back to the comment Mike Tirico made when he was asked about his alma mater hiring someone with no academic administration experience. "Have you seen John Wildhack's rolodex?!"
This in a nutshell.
And honestly I can respect skytopbus’ POV since he makes some legit points. As SU fans we all want the same things after all: mainly success for the AD, which imo begins with establishing continuity.
JW is an Orangeman through and through- and that means something. He’s well respected by his ACC and ESPN peers, which also says a lot. He knows how the game is played from many different angles, and seems like the type who’s willing to ask for help, to avoid getting it wrong. In hiring managers i always try and make certain they are able to put ego aside, and delegate. Wildhack has shown he has that crucial trait. And yes, he WANTS to be, and to STAY, here at his alma mater. Many times I’ve said to my wife that SU is the one place I’d be willing to move back to for professional reasons. Imo, the extension was a great move.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom