John Wildhack “On The Block” 2-1 | Syracusefan.com

John Wildhack “On The Block” 2-1

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
John Wildhack joins Brent to discuss the football schedule, the state of Syracuse men’s basketball, both lacrosse teams, and more!

Methinks he’s going to be ready pretty soon
You do? Why? He has said he will coach next year because he recruited next year’s class. Of course, he can change his mind.

On another subject, is there any movement at all with trying to get his 100 wins back?

At the expense of the most profitable & recognizable entity of Syracuse University? No. Not that much equity.

I’m surprised this hasn’t driven more conversation.
I listened to it, I may be in the minority but it’s to the point of exhaustion for me. When he leaves he leaves at this point for me. If it’s five years it is what it is. I don’t want the guy pushed out the door, I never thought he would be and the interview pretty much confirmed it. I’m at the point where I question the AD and his abilities to handle difficult situations, the women’s basketball situation still boggles my mind.

I didn’t listen and don’t need to. Wildhack has never once given a straight answer to a media question and he’s not going to start here. It’s part of his job to dodge personnel type questions. Did you expect him to say his plan is to semi-force JB into retirement through coercion, ego stroking, hinting his legacy is getting tarnished, etc? Even if all that is true he ain’t saying to the media.

I listened to it, I may be in the minority but it’s to the point of exhaustion for me. When he leaves he leaves at this point for me. If it’s five years it is what it is. I don’t want the guy pushed out the door, I never thought he would be and the interview pretty much confirmed it. I’m at the point where I question the AD and his abilities to handle difficult situations, the women’s basketball situation still boggles my mind.

This is the tough one. The WBB situation was a giant red flag. How that persisted for as long as it did just seems counter to having an AD with a thumb on things withing his purview.

The comment around equity is just another political non specific buffer. It also would not be my first or fourth choice when aiming to provide a general response to the question.

If he coaches a few more years getting his wins back elevates him to No.1 on the all time win list above Coach K. I don't see the NCAA willingly elevating JB over their prized pony Coach K. Just no chance they are the ones who facilitate that. The Duke fanbase would cry hard about that too and probably throw a lot of mud at the reinstated wins and at the NCAA for doing it.

Last edited:
I’m surprised this hasn’t driven more conversation.

Well, yeah. However, it's typically cold and often snowy in Syracuse in the winter, therefore, expected and anticipated. Same deal here in regards to Wildhack relative to JB, the hoop's state, etc. It is what it is.

Personally, the jury is still out for me in regards to ADJW. Obviously, JB's replacement will have a significant impact regarding Wildhack's legacy. Although, he retaining Dino doesn't bring me a lot of confidence.

I'm aware many folks here are thrilled with the new assistant hires, so time will tell relative to results on the field. But, this is the 2nd time around that Dino was afforded the graces of being able to clean house regarding his assistants and still keep his job. That's not usually the case, especially when 5 out of 6 of seasons have been losing ones. Moreover, on the offensive side of the ball where Dino was supposedly a guru and why he was brought here in the first place.

However, even with all of the poor hiring decisions Dino made, along with everything else encompassing and translating to those numerous failures/results, Wildhack still chose to retain him. So, I don't know. I'm reminded of that proverb; fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...shame on me. That's where I'm currently at in regards to Wildhack.

Last edited:
Paterno did.

NCAA reversed itself on the wins because they couldn't prove in court that PSU got a competitive edge from covering up for a pedophile. Boeheim was hit with payola and grades scandals and a failure to monitor/lack of institutional control penalty twice. That's in the NCAA's wheelhouse.

If he coaches a few more years getting his wins back elevates him to No.1 on the all time win listed above Coach K. I don't see the NCAA willingly elevating JB over their prized pony Coach K. Just no chance they are the ones who facilitate that. The Duke fanbase would cry hard about that too and probably throw a lot of mud at the reinstated wins and at the NCAA for doing it.
I’m in the camp that believes his wins will be reinstated after he retires…and only if it won’t be enough to catch K.

I’m in the camp that believes his wins will be reinstated after he retires…and only if it won’t be enough to catch K.
Honestly think that's the only way it has a chance of happening, if it still keeps him under

Well, yeah. However, it's typically cold and often snowy in Syracuse in the winter, so expected and anticipated. Same deal here in regards to Wildhack relative to JB, the hoop's state, etc. It is what it is.

Personally, the jury is still out for me in regards to ADJW. Obviously, JB's replacement will have a significant regarding Wildhack's legacy. Although, he retaining Dino doesn't bring me a lot of confidence.

I'm aware many folks here are thrilled with the new assistant hires, so time will tell relative to results on the field. But, this is the 2nd time around the Dino was afforded the graces of being able to clean house regarding his assistants and still keep his job. Moreover, on the offensive side of the ball where Dino was allegedly a guru of when he was brought here. That's not usually the case, especially when 5 out of 6 of seasons have been losing ones.

However, even with all of the poor hiring decisions Dino made, along with everything else encompassing and translating to those numerous failures/results, Wildhack still chose to retain him. So, I don't know. I'm reminded of that proverb; fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...shame on me. That's where I'm currently at in regards to Wildhack.
Firing Dino costs money. JW put the money into hiring assistants instead. It’s a cost-effective solution.

Firing Dino costs money. JW put the money into hiring assistants instead. It’s a cost-effective solution.

I'm aware. This topic was debated extensively on the football side...opinions vary. Delaying the inevitable also costs money. Ultimately, the upcoming season's results will go a long way in the realization of whether JW threw good money after bad here.

I didn’t listen and don’t need to. Wildhack has never once given a straight answer to a media question and he’s not going to start here. It’s part of his job to dodge personnel type questions. Did you expect him to say his plan is to semi-force JB into retirement through coercion, ego stroking, hinting his legacy is getting tarnished, etc? Even if all that is true he ain’t saying to the media.

Agree 100%. Not sure what people expected him to say, other than the type of perfunctory, non-controversial response he gave.

Exactly. I'm really not sure what people are thinking if they expect anything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom