John Wildhack “On The Block” 2-1 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

John Wildhack “On The Block” 2-1

Exactly. I'm really not sure what people are thinking if they expect anything else.
I think suggesting ”coach has earned a lot of equality” is more than expected if this were the standard dodge. There’s no reason to bring that up.

I think his use of the “one bad season“ propaganda line is another hint.

jmo.

I mean if you look at this season in a vacuum Jim Boeheim should be on a very hot seat.
But when you look at it like JW looks at it you see a tremendous career with numerous accolades. You see a guy who has maintained a basketball program for over 40yrs.

I totally get where JW is coming from by defending his coach. Especially one with Boeheim’s stature.

My concern is that he lets Boeheim go as long as he wants without any ramifications. My concern is that he doesn’t see the future of the program through the forest of Boeheim. The man is just too big of a figure for Wildhack to make any decision on him.

So with that being said, nothing we can do to change whatever happens. If he stays another 10yrs we can’t do anything about it. If he retires tomorrow we’ll be in the same boat. Waiting and watching.

Jim Boeheim has the support of the SU elites.
Wildhack isn’t going to say anything publicly to tick them off.

That interview wasn’t helping anything.
Its not going to change next year.

Jim Boeheim has the support of the SU elites.
Wildhack isn’t going to say anything publicly to tick them off.

That interview wasn’t helping anything.
Its not going to change next year.

I just don’t see him getting fired or even told to step down at any point in time. No matter the circumstances. Like you said he has the elites on his side who would never sign off on sacking JB.

We just have to ride this out with him and hang on to hope that he can retire with some dignity still left.

I mean if you look at this season in a vacuum Jim Boeheim should be on a very hot seat.
But when you look at it like JW looks at it you see a tremendous career with numerous accolades. You see a guy who has maintained a basketball program for over 40yrs.

I totally get where JW is coming from by defending his coach. Especially one with Boeheim’s stature.

My concern is that he lets Boeheim go as long as he wants without any ramifications. My concern is that he doesn’t see the future of the program through the forest of Boeheim. The man is just too big of a figure for Wildhack to make any decision on him.

So with that being said, nothing we can do to change whatever happens. If he stays another 10yrs we can’t do anything about it. If he retires tomorrow we’ll be in the same boat. Waiting and watching.
I mean, JB has two Final Fours, an Elite Eight and two Sweet 16s in the past decade. We make fun of other programs that fire or push out coaches with that kind of record. That said, the regular season results have been on a long and steady decline into mediocrity. We haven’t been ranked (except in the final poll of last season) in years. Ben Howland got booted at UCLA, despite three straight Final Fours, after he struggled a bit and the narrative around the program and recruiting deteriorated. We’re well past that at Syracuse.

I just don’t see him getting fired or even told to step down at any point in time. No matter the circumstances. Like you said he has the elites on his side who would never sign off on sacking JB.

We just have to ride this out with him and hang on to hope that he can retire with some dignity still left.
He isn’t getting fired. That isn’t even an option.
The AD should say if the HC has a contract or how long it is.

He doesn’t have too but Wildhack can’t frame this like the frustration is over just this season.

That type of spin is annoying.

Speaking of Howland, he wouldn’t be the worst candidate here. He’s in the backwater of Miss State and has had some decent teams. He could probably do a lot better here. He and Dixon turned Pitt into a national power and he had UCLA humming for awhile. Really good defensive coach. MSU is ranked 40th in KenPom this season. The downside is that he’s already 64. I’d rather have a younger guy like Oats.

Speaking of Howland, he wouldn’t be the worst candidate here. He’s in the backwater of Miss State and has had some decent teams. He could probably do a lot better here. He turned Pitt into a national power and had UCLA humming for awhile. Really good defensive coach. MSU is ranked 40th in KenPom this season.
Making $2.5 million at Miss St so we can compete with that.

Speaking of Howland, he wouldn’t be the worst candidate here. He’s in the backwater of Miss State and has had some decent teams. He could probably do a lot better here. He and Dixon turned Pitt into a national power and he had UCLA humming for awhile. Really good defensive coach. MSU is ranked 40th in KenPom this season. The downside is that he’s already 64. I’d rather have a younger guy like Oats.

10 million dollar buyout for Oates.

Yeah, that's the one sentence that irked me. Is he oblivious to the last 8 years?

He's living in the past and cranking Springsteen's 'Glory Days' on his Klipshorns. Even though JB's no longer 'throwing that speed ball by' anyone and making them 'look like a fool boy' he apparently can still get it by Wildhack. ;)

Joe Paterno did.

I've already answered this. The keyword is "competitive edge". The NCAA couldn't prove that Paterno gained a competitive edge from hiding the actions of a pedophile. Payola and coursework funny business are easier to argue for unfair competitive edge. The rules on paying players may have changed but not when Boeheim was letting it happen. There's also no defense for the grades thing. Can't be compared to UNC because that sham program was available to all students. No special treatment for the athletes technically.

He's not getting his wins back. It's not even worth thinking about.

Last edited:

He’s got the stench of Pitt on him still. I’d rather have Alsacs coaching the team than Howland.

I mean, JB has two Final Fours, an Elite Eight and two Sweet 16s in the past decade. We make fun of other programs that fire or push out coaches with that kind of record. That said, the regular season results have been on a long and steady decline into mediocrity. We haven’t been ranked (except in the final poll of last season) in years. Ben Howland got booted at UCLA, despite three straight Final Fours, after he struggled a bit and the narrative around the program and recruiting deteriorated. We’re well past that at Syracuse.
If we didn’t have a sub .500 record in ACC play I wouldn’t have such a problem.

I’d be almost more accepting to a sub .500 record in the Big East than the ACC. Seems like every year outside of a couple has been a “down year” since we got here. It shouldn’t be hard to be a top 4 or 5 ACC team.

I've already answered this. The keyword is "competitive edge". The NCAA couldn't prove that Paterno gained a competitive edge from hiding the actions of a pedophile. Payola and coursework funny business are easier to argue for unfair competitive edge. The rules on paying players may have changed but not when Boeheim was letting it happen. There's also no defense for the grades thing. Can't be compared to UNC because that sham program was available to all students. No special treatment for the athletes technically.

He's not getting his wins back. It's not even worth thinking about.
I never saw this answer, so thanks. I understand it. I don’t like it, but I understand it.

Guys, do not read into any of this or believe a simple interview like this one. He did exactly what he has always done in these type of interviews. JW is not going to fire JB, it will never happen. The word fired will not be used. BUT there will be conversations between the two on this season, on the state of the program etc. Optics is everything and “perception”. JW will keep his nose clean in this but a forced retirement to a mutual decision to part ways could happen.

I’m still in the camp that he is done when the kids are. I think he is done at the end of this year and do a “Roy” call on it

Guys, do not read into any of this or believe a simple interview like this one. He did exactly what he has always done in these type of interviews. JW is not going to fire JB, it will never happen. The word fired will not be used. BUT there will be conversations between the two on this season, on the state of the program etc. Optics is everything and “perception”. JW will keep his nose clean in this but a forced retirement to a mutual decision to part ways could happen.

I’m still in the camp that he is done when the kids are. I think he is done at the end of this year and do a “Roy” call on it
Same here. I just can’t see him coaching past the kids and no retirement tour

If we didn’t have a sub .500 record in ACC play I wouldn’t have such a problem.

I’d be almost more accepting to a sub .500 record in the Big East than the ACC. Seems like every year outside of a couple has been a “down year” since we got here. It shouldn’t be hard to be a top 4 or 5 ACC team.
Oh I totally agree. We should always be contending for the top 4-5 spots in the conference. And JB, despite his decades of experience and success, just hasn’t been able to figure out how to construct rosters and maintain the necessary continuity like he used to—while programs like MSU, Nova, Gonzaga, Baylor, Virginia, Purdue, etc. have shown that it can be done even in the current era. Fortunately we’ve stayed in the national conversation because of the golden age of 2008-14 and then all the NCAA tourney success over the past decade. The next coach will hopefully be able to build on that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom