Johnnies | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Johnnies

Incarnate Word lost to Our Lady of the Lake...

Exactly.
was just going to post this. Their previous game before curb stomping SJ they lost to Our lady of the Lake.

St John's is embarrassingly bad, like those winless in the Big East DePaul teams. They will win maybe 2 conference games this year. Them losing by 21 to a fake online school (yes?) is not as bad as us losing to this SJU team by double digits.

Just seeing them lose to another nothing school just reiterates how bad our loss was and how bad a coaching job Hop did. It's a loss that should count double because it was so pathetic. 51 points scored against IC, 48 against Niagara, a blow out loss to St Thomas Aquinas High School and 84 points scored against Syracuse. There's just something so wrong about that and we all know what the main issue is there.

These schools may give me nightmares tonight. Incarnate Word, Our Lady of the Lake. wow.

was just going to post this. Their previous game before curb stomping SJ they lost to Our lady of the Lake.
Isn't that the title of a really good New Zealand murder mystery show?

Sitting in a zone in that game instead of applying pressure to shaky ball handlers is still as laughable a decision as there can be

Bingo - what do they hate? Ball pressure. What do we do? Nothing. Till it's too late. But, coaches, etc...say, if we just converted some free throws, and a few of those baskets on the press we would have been right there at the end!!

Uh, somehow being in there at the end isn't comforting. Same nonsense against Wisconsin. You have to have some degree of flexibility - that seems to be where we've been lost of late. We're too rigid with the rotation, too rigid with the defense. Flexibility shouldn't only show it's face as desperation.

Down double-digits, maybe Frank Howard can play!

Down double-digits, maybe we could press!

I don't know. Seems like we're blowing some opportunities.

Oh, I've watched them a few times. They are awful, but that Depaul team was at least as bad and absolutely dismantled SU that night. I'm giving you a pass in the spirit of the season.

Not even close, that Depaul team had pros on it, I believe Wilson Chandler was on that team.

Yeah, I'm watching the gamecast and holy crap they're bad. Wish IW went zone on them. lol

So was Georgetown against a press and some tight defense. We don't have the depth to press for that long, but we won't face to many teams that can't beat a press in the acc.

Playing zone will give us some What games on lack of ball pressure alone. Its like that every year. I feel that and the lack of a bloodthirsty offense (like duke) are the two main factors why we don't blow teams out for 40 minutes. We blow more 20 point leads then I can count over the years.

Last edited:
Hop and JB will say that we can't play m2m or press for long because we don't have enough depth.

Well, who's fault is that?

upload_2015-12-19_9-44-12.png

It was just a matter of time before The Word was heard from.
They already played Purdue and Oklahoma and kept those spreads under 40.
And it was just a matter of time before Wichita State transfer Derail Green went off...(24 against SJU).
If we're smart will be in the hunt for his younger brother, Off-D'Trax Green.

Diagne and Obokoh aren't the NCAA's fault.

Guys like Diagne make it through a lot I would think if the microscope isn't on.

We've swung and missed on a couple of guys and others that weren't top end leave early types left early.

Hop and JB will say that we can't play m2m or press for long because we don't have enough depth.

Well, who's fault is that?

Depth? Kids do NOT get tired at this age. Heard that a lot, so must be true! Foul trouble? Just go back into the zone if that happens.

Sitting in a zone in that game instead of applying pressure to shaky ball handlers is still as laughable a decision as there can be

Probably a good reason why Mullin always appeared to have a smile on his face when the camera panned to him. Thinking to himself, man if those guys only knew how bad we are when just any pressure, even a whiff is applied... :(:bang:

Unfortunately, the NCAA argument is convenient only because of the recent transgressions, etc. However, even if we had 10 blue chip Micky D kids on our roster, JB would spew out some reason or another why these studs can't play man to man, and, if so, how we would get beat even worse. Not to mention, due to JB's pure comfort zone in sticking with a 6-7 man rotation, how 3 of our Micky D kids would be sitting on the pine more times than not.

JB said that we didn't have a he talent for MTM going on for over a decade.

He may have said it in 2003.

Incarnate Word lost to Our Lady of the Lake...

Exactly.

Clearly they were overlooking the good Lady in preparation for the beat down they were intending to put on St. John's.

I sense that there may be divine intervention involved in these games involving the Bible schools and maybe the outcomes just can't be explained like a game between two heathen schools could.

Last edited:
JB said that we didn't have a he talent for MTM going on for over a decade.

He may have said it in 2003.

It drives me crazy when he utters stuff like that. When you recruit at a level that SU, for the most part, has recruited for over the years, it's difficult to really believe that. These guys are excellent athletes whom all have been playing high level ball for a good long while prior to their arrival, and, mostly man to man at that. Really, it's somewhat surprising, again, due to the level in which we recruit, that JB has been able to get away with saying such a thing for so long. If these kids can't play man to man, I would think that is a direct reflection (negative) on JB and the staff. :noidea:

these kids all played man in high school (most do) . all zone all the time is strictly JB's coaching dementia.

No it's his trademark. Any good marketer knows that you have to be very sensitive to diluting the value of the trademark.

No it's his trademark. Any good marketer knows that you have to be very sensitive to diluting the value of the trademark.

The zone is a huge strength for us - but against some of these teams, I simply have no clue why we can't adjust. Crappy teams like St. Johns love the zone because it allows them to stay in the game (or win it...even going to be crappy ass Vermont in the NCAAT, the zone killed us). As we hit the ACC schedule it will become a strength again, but against some of these weaker opponents, we let them dictate the game to us. Which isn't all that wise if you're an upper-tier team...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom