Jonny Flynn and Donte Greene on list of available free agents | Syracusefan.com

Jonny Flynn and Donte Greene on list of available free agents

Career earnings: Michael Redd almost 120M, Sam Young 133M, Leon Powe 154M. Wow. Redd is/was pretty good, but big numbers for relatively average guys. Then there's #73 Chris Wright (Golden State) listed as 71K.

Career earnings: Michael Redd almost 120M, Sam Young 133M, Leon Powe 154M. Wow. Redd is/was pretty good, but big numbers for relatively average guys. Then there's #73 Chris Wright (Golden State) listed as 71K.
No, the chart is confusing. You are misreading the numbers. Leon Powe's is actually Allen Iverson, Sam Young is Baron Davis and Michael Redd is Gilbert Arenas. It took me awhile to figure it out.

Harsh list.

36.. .Yi Jianlian Latest Rumors
yi_jianlian.jpg
Unrestricted / Power Forward / 7-0 / Dallas Mavericks / 2.6 ppg, 1.6 rpg
A waste of height and shooting ability. A total disappointment on the basketball court.

POSSIBLE DESTINATIONS: -

Agent
2011/12 Earnings
Career Earnings
Commercials

Dan Fegan
$770,086
$13,835,936
3 / 57th

Harsh list.

36.. .Yi Jianlian Latest Rumors

Unrestricted / Power Forward / 7-0 / Dallas Mavericks / 2.6 ppg, 1.6 rpg
A waste of height and shooting ability. A total disappointment on the basketball court.

Dan Fegan
$770,086
$13,835,936
3 / 57th

It's so true when they say that you can't teach height. It's taken over $13 million bucks for NBA General Managers to realize the Yi is not the reincarnation of Yao. Not bad for an underachiever.

No, the chart is confusing. You are misreading the numbers. Leon Powe's is actually Allen Iverson, Sam Young is Baron Davis and Michael Redd is Gilbert Arenas. It took me awhile to figure it out.

Oh crap, you're right. I didn't look close enough. Sorry. That makes more sense, but still a whole lot of green stuff!

Phew. Sam Young :eek:.

Josh Childress has made 24 million dollars to be wrong-end-of-the-bench fodder for NBA teams. I could do that...and I would do it for 25% of what he is asking! Man, why wasn't I born 6 inches taller with an afro?

Would they have been better off long term by staying in school another year or two?

Impossible to predict, of course, but an argument could be made that Flynn will always be a 5'11" point guard of average skills, so leaving at a time that earned him the #6 pick and nine million dollars was the best long-term move financially.

I don't know about Donte's mental make-up and work ethic. It's easy to see his size and ability and say that he could've turned himself into a lottery pick with another year or two in school, but I don't know that his professional years give any indication that he'd have worked at things that would maximize his ability (and his earnings). He might just be too laid-back. That said, it's hard to imagine he'd have fared worse than #28 if he'd waited another year. Probably could've earned himself a better spot with a good sophomore year.

Would they have been better off long term by staying in school another year or two?
Donte is 24 years old and has made 5 millions dollars. How many other current 24 year olds from Syracuse can say the same.

Jonny is a year younger and has made 9 million. Not too many 23 year olds can say the same.

You would have to figure that both of them will be playing at some point in the NBA this season. Hopefully they are ready to go and are financially smart.

Donte is 24 years old and has made 5 millions dollars. How many other current 24 year olds from Syracuse can say the same.

Jonny is a year younger and has made 9 million. Not too many 23 year olds can say the same.

You would have to figure that both of them will be playing at some point in the NBA this season. Hopefully they are ready to go and are financially smart.
I think Donte will get a 2nd contract, if not this year then in the future. Jonny, I'm not so sure. However, both will have the opportunity to make a very good living over seas.

I just don't want Jonny and Donte to go out as NBA punch lines. I hope they can leave some sort of mark on a rotation somewhere...and not a skid mark.

Not to be hyper critical or sound harsh, but I think it would have been best for Jonny's sake to have stayed but probably better for SU's sake that he didn't.

I haven't read anyone's comments yet - I got stuck at work. I amend what I said above - I think both Jonny and SU are better off and probably the same with Donte. I don't think it's any coincidence that we did so well the next year. Happy that both Jonny and Donte got to follow their dreams. I don't think their real goals would have been met while staying in college so I doubt SU teams would have benefitted by them staying.

Not to be hyper critical or sound harsh, but I think it would have been best for Jonny's sake to have stayed but probably better for SU's sake that he didn't.

I think that is perfectly accurate. Flynn's development would have been better served by continuing to hone his lead guard aptitude playing starter's minutes for another season instead of heading to one of the worst teams in the league, being immersed in the triangle offense, and not having any veteran leadership to learn the ropes from.

But if Flynn returned in 2009, I don't think we would have been as good with him predominating the ball. And who knows--maybe Andy doesn't emerge as the vocal leader if he deferred to Flynn.

Reminds me a lot of 87 [where I believe that we wouldn't have made it to the championship with Pearl instead of Sherm at the helm], and 96 [same dynamic, with Z instead of Lloyd].

It is almost certain that Jonny could not have improved his draft position, and while it is possible that Donte could have, it is unclear whether he could have improved it enough to make up for a year of lost wages.

I just don't want Jonny and Donte to go out as NBA punch lines. I hope they can leave some sort of mark on a rotation somewhere...and not a skid mark.

I don't think Donte is going to be a punch line - picks in the 20s are mostly reaches to begin with - but Jonny is, together with Wes. That's why it is crucial that Waiters is a success. If Dion doesn't meet expectations as the #4 overall pick, then the trio of Jonny, Wes and Dion could sour NBA GMs on taking Syracuse guys high in the draft for a decade

Jonny was as hot as he was ever going to be, so getting the guaranteed payout as the #6 pick was the smart move. His limiting factor is that he is one of the worst defensive players in the Association, and I don't see how another year at SU could have changed that

I think that is perfectly accurate. Flynn's development would have been better served by continuing to hone his lead guard aptitude playing starter's minutes for another season instead of heading to one of the worst teams in the league, being immersed in the triangle offense, and not having any veteran leadership to learn the ropes from.

But if Flynn returned in 2009, I don't think we would have been as good with him predominating the ball. And who knows--maybe Andy doesn't emerge as the vocal leader if he deferred to Flynn.

Reminds me a lot of 87 [where I believe that we wouldn't have made it to the championship with Pearl instead of Sherm at the helm], and 96 [same dynamic, with Z instead of Lloyd].

I agree with you about 96 and probably 87. I just wonder how Pearl would have reacted with Ronny And DC inside. He liked to make the great pass as well as drive to the basket. It's just a scenario that makes you wonder just how good it might have been.

I remember when Igor assured us Jonny was the best m2m defender since Jordan. What happened to him in the Association? He has trouble staying in front..

I remember when Igor assured us Jonny was the best m2m defender since Jordan. What happened to him in the Association? He has trouble staying in front..

obviously, only the cursed hand of Jim Boeheim could ruin "the best guard in the ESPN era."

Igors guys should join forces and create a super team overseas. Rock Lloyd, Jonny Flynn, Matt Gorman, Cole...

:championship:

. If Dion doesn't meet expectations as the #4 overall pick, then the trio of Jonny, Wes and Dion could sour NBA GMs on taking Syracuse guys high in the draft for a decade
Respectfully debate this. They will go after who they think has the potential. Where they came from doesn't matter.
It was the NBA combine that moved Johnny up from like 16 to 6 and Dion up from 20 to 4. It wasn't just Johnny's leadership and Dions aggressiveness at Syracuse. Wes never really had the strength or the go to guy attitude, but had the jumper and the bounce.

Dion was picked by Cleveland because they loved his want to make the big plays and to have the big shot. He wants to be a leader, and he has the potential to be a real solid NBA defender.
Flynn and Wes aren't there to make the big plays, are not in the NBA because of their defense, but I do agree they have underachieved not just for their draft number but also as glue guys.

As for development guys like Carmelo, Lebron Durant could have won a NBA championship in 2-3 years with the right cast.

I don't think Donte is going to be a punch line - picks in the 20s are mostly reaches to begin with - but Jonny is, together with Wes. That's why it is crucial that Waiters is a success. If Dion doesn't meet expectations as the #4 overall pick, then the trio of Jonny, Wes and Dion could sour NBA GMs on taking Syracuse guys high in the draft for a decade

Calling Wes a "punchline" is pretty harsh. Though he wasn't all that productive, he did start last year. He should be able to, at the minimum, become a solid defender/3 point shooter like a Mikael Petrus or Bruce Bowen type who either starts or is a rotation player for a long time. He has the athleticism and 3 point stroke.

When drafted I was hoping for an Eddie Jones like career(great athlete, great defender, good 3 point shooter, questionable handle) though that isn't looking likely. Disappointing so far, but I wouldn't say punchline. Phoenix will hopefully be a better situation for him.

I haven't read anyone's comments yet - I got stuck at work. I amend what I said above - I think both Jonny and SU are better off and probably the same with Donte. I don't think it's any coincidence that we did so well in the year. Happy that both Jonny and Donte got to follow their dreams. I don't think their real goals would have been met while staying in college so I doubt SU teams would have benefitted by them staying.

Not sure I agree...if Jonny came back he would've given us another guy on offense that would've been too dynamic for most defenses to handle. Maybe we lose a game or two more in the regular season but would've been more dangerous in the dance, as opposed to how that season ended. :bang: