Jonny vs Trey | Syracusefan.com

Jonny vs Trey

orange2win

2nd String
Oddly enough our 2008-09 team matches up quite well with this upcoming Michigan team. Soph Burke's stats are comparable to Soph Flynn, but Trey's numbers are a bit better. Hardaway and Stauskas are close in size to Rautins and Devendorf and all four shoot about the same from 3 Pt. While Paul Harris was better than Robinson, the numbers are fairly close. Freshmen Joseph and McGary off the bench cancel each other out.

So the intriging hypothetical qustion to be answered. Would the 2008-09 SU team, if coached by Beilein, beat our current team?

Here are the stats for Flynn, Burke and MCW side by side.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=michael-carter-williams&i=1&p1=jonny-flynn&p2=trey-burke

Oddly enough our 2008-09 team matches up quite well with this upcoming Michigan team. Soph Burke's stats are comparable to Soph Flynn, but Trey's numbers are a bit better. Hardaway and Stauskas are close in size to Rautins and Devendorf and all four shoot about the same from 3 Pt. While Paul Harris was better than Robinson, the numbers are fairly close. Freshmen Joseph and McGary off the bench cancel each other out.

So the intriging hypothetical qustion to be answered. Would the 2008-09 SU team, if coached by Beilein, beat our current team?

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=michael-carter-williams&i=1&p1=jonny-flynn&p2=trey-burke
Joseph and McGary comparison doesn't add up at all; KrisJo barely played that year and McGary has been a beast in the tournament. Not to mention McGary is a center and Joseph was a 3...

I've brought up the Jonny Flynn comparison a bunch with Michigan fans who say Burke is the next Chris Paul. I like to remind them that Flynn and Burke are pretty much the same in size, athleticism, and production and Flynn isn't even in the NBA anymore.

I've brought up the Jonny Flynn comparison a bunch with Michigan fans who say Burke is the next Chris Paul. I like to remind them that Flynn and Burke are pretty much the same in size, athleticism, and production and Flynn isn't even in the NBA anymore.
Just because Flynn didn't make in the league doesn't mean that Burke won't, but I think comparing them is very fair. I think overall Flynn might have been a better scorer, and Burke a slightly better passer, but they are extremely similar.

burke has gotta be a better shooter right? flynn could never hit the shots burke hit at the end of the kansas game.

Flynn = Burke? Please. You guys do know Burke is a pretty good 3pt shooter right? And he is terrific pulling up from 15-23 feet off the dribble? Flynn was a very good college player. Burke is on another level.

Is the general consensus that Paul Harris is better than Robinson? Serious question, I haven't seen that much of Michigan.

Is the general consensus that Paul Harris is better than Robinson? Serious question, I haven't seen that much of Michigan.
eh, very different players - guess I'd say Harris by his 3rd year was more productive than freshman Robinson - but Robinson's ceiling is way higher

burke has a much better touch than jonny did.. jonny needed another year to mature.. burke is as ready as he will ever be

Flynn = Burke? Please. You guys do know Burke is a pretty good 3pt shooter right? And he is terrific pulling up from 15-23 feet off the dribble? Flynn was a very good college player. Burke is on another level.
...and IMO, it's not even close. Burke is a much better PG than Flynn was and has the ability to get his own shot as well.

Burke is not a better ballhandler or penetrator than Flynn. Equal, maybe, but not better by any significant measure. Going by college stats, the only thing Burke is clearly better at is 3pt shooting (about 5% better). Both shot an equal fg% in their sophomore years.

I think Jonny would have struggled playing against our zone this year.

Same way Burke is going to on Saturday. :cool:

Burke is better than johnny was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct, buy not by a wide margin. After all, Burke is working with more talent than Jonny was.

burke has gotta be a better shooter right? flynn could never hit the shots burke hit at the end of the kansas game.

Funny, I remember Flynn hitting a huge three in the closing seconds against Kansas, too.

Funny, I remember Flynn hitting a huge three in the closing seconds against Kansas, too.

It's funny you bring this up. I linked the video of Jonny doing this, in response to a Michigan fan linking to Burke's 3 and saying "yeah, but could Flynn do this?"

He said it wasn't the same because it was in the regular season and it wasn't as hard of a 3. So, it's somehow Flynn's fault that we didn't play Kansas in the NCAAT that year and that he was able to get himself a better look at the rim.

It's funny you bring this up. I linked the video of Jonny doing this, in response to a Michigan fan linking to Burke's 3 and saying "yeah, but could Flynn do this?"

He said it wasn't the same because it was in the regular season and it wasn't as hard of a 3. So, it's somehow Flynn's fault that we didn't play Kansas in the NCAAT that year and that he was able to get himself a better look at the rim.
That game vs KU was in Kansas City. Which, I'm sure, was somehow considered an SU home game.;)

Flynn was much quicker than Burke. Burke can't really get his own shot without a ball screen and he'll likely struggle to get into the lane in the half court.

But Burke is definitely a far better shooter (though he's fairly inconsistent too).

I don't care. I loved watching flynn play. so much fun. why isn't it game time yet?

Joseph and McGary comparison doesn't add up at all; KrisJo barely played that year and McGary has been a beast in the tournament. Not to mention McGary is a center and Joseph was a 3...

Okay. Fair enough. Let's use Rick Jackson instead. Rick was a Soph who came off the bench, played 839 mins vs McGary's 704 mins. Pulled down 219 RBs v McGary's 228. Very similar impacts, although Rick was a much better shot blocker.

Point is, the two teams are surprisingly similar.

Yeah, agree. Flynn was more razzle-dazzle and Burke more steady. Burke is a very good athlete though and a better orchestrator than Flynn. He also dosn't rely on ball screens as much as Flynn did. Hard to say how Burke will do on the next level but I can see some of the Chris Paul comparisons. He probably has a good inch or so on Flynn as well, imo.

Michigan will get stymied early. They can't simulate our zone and how it works like clockwork. We just have to make sure we capitalize when they are struggling early.

Flynn was a lottery pick in a much better class. To say Burke is much better is a bit of a stretch. Both had/have stones, leadership, and game. Toss up but I am biased toward one of my favorite Cuse pt guards of all time v

Yeah, agree. Flynn was more razzle-dazzle and Burke more steady. Burke is a very good athlete though and a better orchestrator than Flynn. He also dosn't rely on ball screens as much as Flynn did. Hard to say how Burke will do on the next level but I can see some of the Chris Paul comparisons. He probably has a good inch or so on Flynn as well, imo.

Michigan will get stymied early. They can't simulate our zone and how it works like clockwork. We just have to make sure we capitalize when they are struggling early.

First, yes to all of that. Especially the last line. None of that sitting on a 6-4 lead business; got to get out on them.

Second, this Michigan team would put up 120 on the 2009 Syracuse team. Wouldn't be a bad matchup, provided we hit our shots, but that group couldn't slow down Providence and Villanova, much less a team with Michigan's scoring talent.