Jordan Tucker to transfer to Butler | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Jordan Tucker to transfer to Butler

I don't think your "grain of salt" cliché applies when you combine the response from the ACC with the clear plain language of the rule.

am I going out on a limb by guessing you do not have a legal education?

It was 79 who noted it should be taken with a grain of salt I simply repeated it as I noted in my prior response, I would have thought with your extensive legal background you would have caught that. ;)

Last edited:
It was 79 who noted it should be taken with a grain of salt I simply repeated it as I noted in my prior response, I would have thought with your extensive legal background you would have caught that. ;)

Lol, your last post literally says “i read the rule... with a grain of salt”

im still waiting on your source for the two years. But listen, i get why you say it because ive also heard it before. But to perpetuate the info without a source or firm knowledge is irresponsible. Not saying its wrong, although i believe with more conviction than you do that it is, but show me some credible info.

Last edited:
Lol, your last post literally says “i read the rule... with a grain of salt” im still waiting on your source for the two years.

But listen, i get why you say it because ive also heard it before. But to perpetuate the info without a source or firm knowledge is irresponsible. Not saying its wrong, although i believe with more conviction than you do that it is, but show me some credible info.

My response was to your post and answering two different questions/statements. You said something along the line of it pays to read the actual rule. I said I did read the rule then there was comma and then I said regarding 79's post we have to take it with a grain of salt like he said. The rule as outlined in the ACC handbook or whatever it is and 79's post are two totally seperate issues that I think your confusing my response to.

As for the rule I am going by what I was told years ago, again could I be wrong sure wouldn't be the first time and there also could have been some modification of the rule which does happen. That said there are no examples to point to because I can't recall a non grad intraconference transfer. Until a player from one of the major sports does it I will go with what Orange79 came up. At this point as it related to Tucker its moot he's not coming here regardless.

I'm not familiar with this section of the CBS website, but the .pdf is dated 2006. I would lean towards Orange79's info directly from the ACC this week over a spreadsheet created by (?) that's over a decade old.
Totally agree. It's dated. Like I said, hard to find citations on that rule .. it's probably in the conference contract.

In addition, this year should count as one of their four seasons of competition.

So he can transfer within the conference, receive financial aid, practice and participate after one year (in line with the NCAA rules) but CANNOT redshirt during that year so essentially loses a year of competition?

So he can transfer within the conference, receive financial aid, practice and participate after one year (in line with the NCAA rules) but CANNOT redshirt during that year so essentially loses a year of competition?

Has to pay his way for year one, can practice though, and lose a year

This says he can receive aid.
Guess the other consideration is the NCAA rule regarding granting of a release. As we saw with he whose name will not be mentioned here if you don't request a release and the initial school restricts a transfer to a specific school or schools the individual cannot receive athletic financial aid, right? That's why Seton Hall is being paid full tuition and R&B for one of their current roster members.

Ship said with this kid along time ago IMHO. He probably regrets not picking the Orange when he could have. Such is life. Move along.

As I said im not advocating letting him come here, but more to the fact that we have taken sloppy seconds before.
I'm not advocating it either, but hey—Franklin Howard had some 'red flags' not too long ago.
Is this kid not smart enough to recognize he wouldn't have any 'third chances?' Maybe he's a worthwhile reclamation project and he's learned his very damaging lesson.

My response was to your post and answering two different questions/statements. You said something along the line of it pays to read the actual rule. I said I did read the rule then there was comma and then I said regarding 79's post we have to take it with a grain of salt like he said. The rule as outlined in the ACC handbook or whatever it is and 79's post are two totally seperate issues that I think your confusing my response to.

As for the rule I am going by what I was told years ago, again could I be wrong sure wouldn't be the first time and there also could have been some modification of the rule which does happen. That said there are no examples to point to because I can't recall a non grad intraconference transfer. Until a player from one of the major sports does it I will go with what Orange79 came up. At this point as it related to Tucker its moot he's not coming here regardless.

Was Gbinije a grad transfer?

Actually, if he were to transfer mid-semester to Syracuse he would be eligible to play as a redshirt sophomore in the second semester of the 2019-20 season.

A long layoff but in the grand scheme of things, he would only lose out on one additional non-conference season and would play 2.5 semesters at Syracuse rather than 3.0 elsewhere (max).

If he’s willing, I’d take that chance.
Due to the ACC's transfer rule, he would be a redshirt junior. Sitting the second year costs a year of eligibility. Furthermore, in an effort to prevent intra-conference transfers, the schools have no say in the matter. Nothing can be waived. Graduate transfers are the only exceptions. I do not expect to see an intra-conference transfer ever except for grad transfers.

Due to the ACC's transfer rule, he would be a redshirt junior. Sitting the second year costs a year of eligibility. Furthermore, in an effort to prevent intra-conference transfers, the schools have no say in the matter. Nothing can be waived. Graduate transfers are the only exceptions. I do not expect to see an intra-conference transfer ever except for grad transfers.

He wouldnt be a redshirt junior then, he would be a true junior. However, why couldnt he take a redshirt year this year (hasn’t really played to my knowledge) and then take his transfer year next year, and be a redshirt sophomore in 19-20? I think that is possible.

He wouldnt be a redshirt junior then, he would be a true junior. However, why couldnt he take a redshirt year this year (hasn’t really played to my knowledge) and then take his transfer year next year, and be a redshirt sophomore in 19-20? I think that is possible.
If I am not mistaken, Duke would have to designate this as a redshirt year. I doubt they would do that. 2018 will be his freshman year. If he transferred now, to a school outside the ACC, he could play 2nd semester next year as a sophomore. If he transfers immediately to an ACC member school, then he could play 2nd semester in 2020 as a junior. Additionally, transferring mid year costs the player a semester of eligibility. It wouldn't surprise me to see Tucker take his time and make his selection later rather than rushing it. He can sit all next year and then play for three.
Edit to add: Tucker played in at least one game in December. A redshirt for 2018 is no longer an option.

Last edited:
Is Tucker even still enrolled at Duke? He's not listed on the team roster.

From reading the board, I can see that people want Syracuse to offer Tucker a scholarship. I hope we do not make an offer to him. Hopefully JAB checks in with Mike K. and finds out why Tucker hardly got off the bench. I stated this before: believe that Syracuse dodged a bullet when Jordan Tucker turned them down to go to Duke.

Forget the poor reputation that he earned from his official visit to Syracuse. He was picked by a known national sporting magazine to be the difference maker for Duke basketballl supposedly shoring up the SF position. This prediction may have been made prior to Marvin Bagley, III choosing late to go to Duke. That was not anything he could foresee but still He could not even get off the bench to make a contribution.

Granted that Jordan's decision to go to Duke was partially based on it being his Dream School, but he did not have the foresight to look beyond his freshman year where highly ranked recruits like Cameron Reddish were already strongly leaning to Duke. He was always in danger to be recruited over. It happened early where two of the top 5 recruits (Rowan Barrett and Reddish) both SFs committed to Duke for 2018-2019. He still had the chance to prove himself and could not get off the bench. Less regarded Teammates like Alex O'Connell and Jack Delauier (sp?) have made stronger contributions to the team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom