Josh Allen | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Josh Allen

Liability.
Why do we need a doctor for that? Disqualify anyone who gets hurt or whose family doctor finds a condition.

Sarcasm aside, I agree that we need to hear more about this case. But based on other evidence I am inclined to believe that the process was... lacking.

Liability decisions include a risk reward assessment, I assume. If your take is true, sad that we value (reward) the program less than a MAC school does.

Tucker is a cardiologist now ? This is beyond crazy.

The redshirt junior who recently arrived from Long Beach City College immediately headed to the training room, where Syracuse University's medical staff said he was showing symptoms of a torn muscle. But an EKG test, performed by SU staff and analyzed by cardiologist Dr. Ronald Caputo of St. Joseph's Hospital Health Center, indicated otherwise, Allen said.

"They found blood clots (around) my heart," Allen said during a phone interview on Thursday, "so what they did was put a stent in (my right wrist) to keep my blood flowing into my arteries."

SU assistant director of athletic communications Mike Morrison said in an email that Allen was informed of the disqualification by assistant team physician Dr. Michael Kernan.

The decision to DQ was made by head team physician Dr. James Tucker after consulting with Kernan and Caputo, Morrison said.

"Both Dr. Kernan and Josh's cardiologist, Dr. Caputo, informed Josh that he would not be cleared to resume participation in sports," Morrison said.

Syracuse football DE Josh Allen unaware he was medically disqualified

St. Joe's cardiologists know their shiet. Good luck to Josh and hope he stays healthy whether in football or everyday life.

Here's the truth, and I don't say this lightly:

If this continues - the University may not know it yet but this stuff will be like a slow bleed out for our football team. How can we or more importantly players or parents of players trust that a player is getting DQ'd for a real reason? If there is no real policy other than "trust this guy" and that trust gets eroded, what do you have left?

It needs to be addressed. It's only going to get worse.

Here's the truth, and I don't say this lightly:

If this continues - the University may not know it yet but this stuff will be like a slow bleed out for our football team. How can we or more importantly players or parents of players trust that a player is getting DQ'd for a real reason? If there is no real policy other than "trust this guy" and that trust gets eroded, what do you have left?

It needs to be addressed. It's only going to get worse.
Been told, privately, that there is little trust in Tucker.

Let's hope that his role at the school is addressed. Being cautious isn't a bad thing. Ignoring multiple other doctors and their informed opinions is another. Obviously I'm not just referring to the Allen case.

Makes sense. One guy get's DQ'd and is cleared elsewhere? Fine. But there's way too much smoke

upload_2017-9-14_16-0-55.jpeg

kids have full blown open heart surgery and after healing have ZERO restrictions. ZERO. Athletic or other. I know this first hand. Some of you know my kid had open heart surgery. He not only plays lacrosse but he's a goalie. Think about that for a second.

I don't pretend to be a cardiologist and I don't know anything about Allen's specific issue but the DQ a mere days after whatever procedure he had seemed premature. What would be DQing him so soon?

kids have full blown open heart surgery and after healing have ZERO restrictions. ZERO. Athletic or other. I know this first hand. Some of you know my kid had open heart surgery. He not only plays lacrosse but he's a goalie. Think about that for a second.

I don't pretend to be a cardiologist and I don't know anything about Allen's specific issue but the DQ a mere days after whatever procedure he had seemed premature. What would be DQing him so soon?

No risk, for MD or school, if you just DQ everyone who has any kind of issue. Takes no real knowledge or medical judgement, but it is a killer for a football program that is already in need of life support.

No risk, for MD or school, if you just DQ everyone who has any kind of issue. Takes no real knowledge or medical judgement, but it is a killer for a football program that is already in need of life support.
Didn't Josh Allen have a bunch of blood clots near his heart and a family history of heart attacks? Knowing only those facts, with no medical degree, this disqualification sounds pretty legitimate.

Didn't Josh Allen have a bunch of blood clots near his heart and a family history of heart attacks? Knowing only those facts, with no medical degree, this disqualification sounds pretty legitimate.

It may be, but there seems to be a tendency here to just DQ without an in depth analysis. There are many possible reasons for Josh having a pericardial effusion(not a heat attack technically but a serious medical event none the less). I have not seen anyone say the underlying cause, which has everything to do with whether he should ever play football again or if there is structural damage to the pericardium. I assume the cardiologist found something that suggests it would be dangerous in which case moving on.

We never get the full story, but using a term like heart attack inappropriately only confuses us and more importantly the kid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colpars13

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom