JTIII at Georgetown | Syracusefan.com

JTIII at Georgetown

Townie72

All American
After reading the recent posts on HoyaTalk and an article in the student newspaper I am surprised at the number of GU fans who are calling for JTIII's head on a platter.

At the same time many are aware of just how hard it will be for the University to fire the son of the revered and still powerful JTII. This is more like the succession plan in North Korea than in the ordinary college basketball program.

I can't see it happening. JT II is too powerful abode he isn't throwing his son overboard. Especially after what happened to his other son's cobacing career.

After reading the recent posts on HoyaTalk and an article in the student newspaper I am surprised at the number of GU fans who are calling for JTIII's head on a platter.

At the same time many are aware of just how hard it will be for the University to fire the son of the revered and still powerful JTII. This is more like the succession plan in North Korea than in the ordinary college basketball program.

I can't see it happening. JT II is too powerful abode he isn't throwing his son overboard. Especially after what happened to his other son's cobacing career.
I have to think its time for them to make a change but do wonder if JTII will allow that to happen. They have too much talent to be as bad as they are. I saw the end of the DePaul game and almost felt bad. Looked like 15oo fans there to watch. My cousin is a Gtown alumn and Sth in Philly and he has basically said he gives them up unless JTIII is gone. He said he has seen enough.

I'm not, the guy has done nothing, they haven't been out of the first round of the tournament since Hibbert and Green were there, if his last name wasn't thompson, he would have been fired already.

I'm not, the guy has done nothing, they haven't been out of the first round of the tournament since Hibbert and Green were there, if his last name wasn't thompson, he would have been fired already.

Yes. But his last name IS Thompson and therein lies the difficulty.

Even if JT were to allow his son to be fired --- maybe with some outrageous severance package --- would he allow GU to hire anything but a coach he approved of. JTII has some very strong ideas about things.

Remember, he put Esherick in there as a placeholder for his son, knowing Esherick would fail.

He did an amazing job resurrecting the program in the first few years. The Davidson loss was understandable and possibly prevented another deep run. I mean, who knew just how dominant Curry was?

Ohio was just a butt stomping. Their big missed opportunity was NC State in 2012. And FGCU just sealed the deal.

A change is more than due.

If somebody sprays Ronnie Thompson with a deadly chemical agent in an airport somewhere, you'll know who is to blame.

Not surprised at all. JTIII, to my great delight, has been a disaster since the Green/Hibbert F4 team.
They hold the record for upsets to double-digit seeds in the Tournament, and have missed out the last couple of years including this one.
To put it mildly, they SUCK! I sincerely hope they leave III as HC, for a long long time! I'd miss seeing this face...
images
images

I don't know what to make of how much sway JT II has/had. If he was as powerful as some would believe, Craig Esherick would still be their coach.

I don't know what to make of how much sway JT II has/had. If he was as powerful as some would believe, Craig Esherick would still be their coach.

You got that wrong, I think.

JTII put Esherick, his toady, in that job as a placeholder while JTIII enhanced his resume to the level that putting him in the GU job wouldn't Be laughable.

JTII probably knew Esherick would fail allowing him to put his son in that job.

JT is still a presence on campus and in the BB program. The University owes him a tremendous debt. Although what he did was for his own purposes, the success of the BB program had a huge positive affect on the University.

GU went from being just another Jesuit college like Fairfield, Fordham, St Joes or Loyola to being a top academic school with a huge amount of visibility.

Georgetown Sucks.

Of course.

And this is pure humor.

They hired John Thompson's son and now they can't fire him because Big John won't let them. They are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

When they hired the son they knew --- or should have known. --- that if he failed they wouldn't be able to get rid of him.

It's freakin hilarious and way funnier than "Georgetown Sucks".

Now there is a way out. GU can offer up a humongous severance deal. More humor in that with JT Jr and JT III effectively extorting money from the school. And Georgetown buying their silence.

Tony Soprano would have been jealous of this scam.

Yes. But his last name IS Thompson and therein lies the difficulty.

Even if JT were to allow his son to be fired --- maybe with some outrageous severance package --- would he allow GU to hire anything but a coach he approved of. JTII has some very strong ideas about things.

Remember, he put Esherick in there as a placeholder for his son, knowing Esherick would fail.

LOL, why does Thompson have so much influence? The program fell apart on his watch. His last decade was complete underachieving. They're really letting some guy who ran a great program in the 1980s dictate the future of the program? Ridiculous. Move on. If the old guy doesn't like it, too bad. Either tell him to apply for the job, or "kick rocks"- Brncusefrvrcuse. Times change.

Last edited:
LOL, why does Thompson have so much influence? The program fell apart on his watch. His last decade was complete underachieving. They're really letting some guy who ran a great program in the 1980s dictate the future of the program? Ridiculous. Move on. If the old guy doesn't like it, too bad. Either tell him to apply for the job, or "kick rocks"- Brncusefrvrcuse. Times change.

"Why does John Thompson, Jr have so much influence at Georgetown?"

I'm not sure I have the writing skill and time and energy to explain it to you.

Let me start with a few facts to build up your understanding.

First, JT Jr is a Black man and D.C. Is a majority's Black city. And Georgetown is run by Jesuit priests who over-think everything and are full of Liberal guilt. They have always seen the basketball program as a bridge to the citizens of D.C. And they never peeped when JT Jr converted the program into a sort on National Black college program. Gangs and thugs across the country adapted Hoya colors and jackets and menacing expressions to the discomfort of older GU alumni. (People in other parts of the country were actually surprised when they discovered that Georgetown wasn't a Historically Black College based on what they saw on TV.

Secondly, the rise of Georgetown as a University occurred at the same time as the rise of the basketball program. And nobody is sure just how closely these things are related. Georgetown was just another Jesuit college in the 1970's. Now it and Notre Dame are at the top of the Catholic school heap. (In the 1970's, all you had to do was graduate from Gonzaga High School and you automatically gained admission to Georgetown.

So the school thinks they owe at least part of this miraculous rise to the basketball program and they will never want to appear ungrateful.

Thirdly, Big John is a ruthless, powerful SOB that many people in DC listen to. And nobody has ever wanted to take him on. Especially not the people at GU or the Liberal toadies at the Washington Post. Or on any of the D.C. Talk radio shows. Nobody said a word when John was bringing in thugs like Michael Graham or wh en the Hoyas were routinely turning Big East games into fist fights. They were petrified of JT and what he might say r the names he might call them.

John Thompson III will Be fired when Big John approves of it and not before.

Boeheim to Georgetown. That gave me the willy's just typing it.

Boeheim to Georgetown. That gave me the willy's just typing it.
Imagine the media explosion for the BigEast and Georgetown. It would be yuuuuge.

First, JT Jr is a Black man and D.C. Is a majority's Black city.

DC is actually 48.3% black. Don't bring those weak demographic facts up in here, Townie!

(I'm just kidding, don't get angry)

"Why does John Thompson, Jr have so much influence at Georgetown?"

I'm not sure I have the writing skill and time and energy to explain it to you.

Let me start with a few facts to build up your understanding.

First, JT Jr is a Black man and D.C. Is a majority's Black city. And Georgetown is run by Jesuit priests who over-think everything and are full of Liberal guilt. They have always seen the basketball program as a bridge to the citizens of D.C. And they never peeped when JT Jr converted the program into a sort on National Black college program. Gangs and thugs across the country adapted Hoya colors and jackets and menacing expressions to the discomfort of older GU alumni. (People in other parts of the country were actually surprised when they discovered that Georgetown wasn't a Historically Black College based on what they saw on TV.

Secondly, the rise of Georgetown as a University occurred at the same time as the rise of the basketball program. And nobody is sure just how closely these things are related. Georgetown was just another Jesuit college in the 1970's. Now it and Notre Dame are at the top of the Catholic school heap. (In the 1970's, all you had to do was graduate from Gonzaga High School and you automatically gained admission to Georgetown.

So the school thinks they owe at least part of this miraculous rise to the basketball program and they will never want to appear ungrateful.

Thirdly, Big John is a ruthless, powerful SOB that many people in DC listen to. And nobody has ever wanted to take him on. Especially not the people at GU or the Liberal toadies at the Washington Post. Or on any of the D.C. Talk radio shows. Nobody said a word when John was bringing in thugs like Michael Graham or wh en the Hoyas were routinely turning Big East games into fist fights. They were petrified of JT and what he might say r the names he might call them.

John Thompson III will Be fired when Big John approves of it and not before.
This thread just got too real for me

The guy only had Dikembe Mutombo and Alonzo Mourning on the floor TOGETHER for 2 years and couldn't get to a Final Four.
Post Ewing 1985 onward 0 Final Fours, 2
Elite Eights.
Numerous choke jobs in the tournament. JT II shouldn't have this god like power.
His son is first coach to be eliminated in 4 straight NCAA tournament by double digits seeds.

Please keep him Hoyas.