Class of 2023 - JUCO C J’onre Reed (TX/KS) Committed / Signed to Syracuse (12/18/22) | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 JUCO C J’onre Reed (TX/KS) Committed / Signed to Syracuse (12/18/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My gut says he doesn't start right away. Lot to ask of a brand new guy. But we have a few games early that are softer we work him in to, and then he takes over the role and doesn't look back.
The Oregon offer makes me feel a lot better about his potential, but you're right, a lot will come down to how quickly he learns his assignments. I'm really hopeful our line is better this year, and I can't say I felt that way a few months ago.

My gut says he doesn't start right away. Lot to ask of a brand new guy. But we have a few games early that are softer we work him in to, and then he takes over the role and doesn't look back.
This kid is a bulldozer up the middle.
CM20210820-4d265-de7ca.jpeg

Let's hope he at least looks back to see where GS is lined up to snap it to him correctly. :)

Reed looks pretty talented to me. He's got the size and build to shine. If he blows people out of the water in the fall he could start from the get go but I think it is more likely Reed and Ilaoa share time a bit the first couple of games against Colgate and Western Michigan getting some experience so we can see where both are at. And I'm thinking Reed wins out and he starts at Purdue and the rest.

Last edited:
Reed looks pretty talented to me. He's got the size and build to shine. If he blows people out of the water in the fall he could start from the get go but I think it is more likely Reed and Ilaoa share time a bit the first couple of games against Colgate and Western Michigan getting some experience so we can see where both are at. And I'm thinking Reed wins out and he starts at Purdue and the rest.
I think this is a major development. If he can take over starting duties for the next couple of years that would be great. Ilaoa is fine as a backup and for spot duty but we’re in a much better place if he isn’t the starter.

C is just a critical position… remember ol’ Dougie’s first game as HC?

Ryan Bartholomew and Paulus out for the first snap of what was going to be a glorious day. Dome was electric. Ryan sails the 1st snap over Paulus’ head and we’re off!

Almost came out with the W that day too. Eric Decker had about 476 yards receiving, bastard.
Fun day at the Dome, despite the result. Felt like we were going in the right direction again.

yup and every year it seems we see team after team play us with elite WRs while we struggle to find 1..

We've done well the last 10 years. Lemon's senior year. Amba Etto Tawo, Ishmael, and now Gadsden.
Receiving stats since Lemon show a 2021 ACC gap, and a drought in the national top 35 since Ish (2017). Following are ACC reception rankings except national in bold.

2016 AET (top 5, est.)
2017 Ishmael #1, #7 ntl; Erv Phillips #4, #45 ntl)
2018 Custis (#7) and Riley (#10).
2019 Trishtan Jackson (#6),
2020 Taj H. (#9).
2021 - no one in the top 25.
2022 (OG #6 ACC. #36 natl)

Last edited:
we are very much a scheme based results group and not a player results group. AET and the ISH/phillips combo were good at beating coverage. Since then not as much beating coverage as confusing coverage. OG is getting some bracketed coverages now but teams havent really worried about rolling safeties over the top of anyone very much for sure.

Receiving stats since Lemon show a 2021 ACC gap, and a drought in the national top 35 since Ish (2017). Following are ACC reception rankings except national in bold.

2016 AET (top 5, est.)
2017 Ishmael #1, #7 ntl; Erv Phillips #4, #45 ntl)
2018 Custis (#7) and Riley (#10).
2019 Trishtan Jackson (#6),
2020 Taj H. (#9).
2021 - no one in the top 25.
2022 (OG #6 ACC. #36 natl)
Again, it's as much about the pitcher as it is the catchers.

Again, it's as much about the pitcher as it is the catchers.
No doubt ... lots of factors behind these stats: +/- (3) QBs; (2) schemes; (3) OC's; a bunch of O-Lines; etc. But despite the apparent slump, I'm optimistic about our WR Roster this season. With an experienced QB and the OL shaping up, OG looks to have his best year. I'm hopeful that Alford will establish some consistency, and hopefully Beck will fire Jones out of the slot and sprinkle in some routes for promising guys on the 2-deep (Hatcher, Brown, et al).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.