Class of 2017 - JUCO DE Josh Allen (CA) COMMITTED to SYRACUSE/ DQed | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 JUCO DE Josh Allen (CA) COMMITTED to SYRACUSE/ DQed

We're just going to outscore people.

I don't see Black moving inside.
The plan was for him to eventually go inside. He's servicable there but he's pretty stiff on the edge. Don't have a good bend to generate a consistent pass rush off the edge. Struggled on his stretch reads but played the run ok. Again, he was a baby, he will be better this year but the ceiling is not high for him at that position. He could be a stud if he goes inside, just like Slayton. Slayton was more athletic then Black coming out of HS but people knew Slayton had the frame to add weight and be a athletic 3 tech. Black is similar to that IMO.

The plan was for him to eventually go inside. He's servicable there but he's pretty stiff on the edge. Don't have a good bend to generate a consistent pass rush off the edge. Struggled on his stretch reads but played the run ok. Again, he was a baby, he will be better this year but the ceiling is not high for him at that position. He could be a stud if he goes inside, just like Slayton. Slayton was more athletic then Black coming out of HS but people knew Slayton had the frame to add weight and be a athletic 3 tech. Black is similar to that IMO.

He's entering his sophomore season and only weighs 250. Is he going to pack on 25/30 pounds over the course of the year and then move inside as a junior? seems highly unlikely. As a senior ? IDK.

He's entering his sophomore season and only weighs 250. Is he going to pack on 25/30 pounds over the course of the year and then move inside as a junior? seems highly unlikely. As a senior ? IDK.
Players adding weight to their frame is routine in college football. He could put on 20 pounds by the spring. Its up to the staff to determine what they want to do with him. I was told he would be an ideal 3 tech. They can very well keep him at D end or they can transition him inside. Every staff in the country is deciding what players they are going to add muscle to so they can move down a position. Thats how you become more athletic. Allows you to compete against teams that are bigger and faster than you.

Yeah If he has been trying to add weight to become a 3 technique and is still at 250 that doesn't bode well for him being able to put on the necessary weight. However if the staff hasn't pushed him to do that because of what was the more immediate need at DE then he might still have a shot to do so. I guess we will see.

Yeah If he has been trying to add weight to become a 3 technique and is still at 250 that doesn't bode well for him being able to put on the necessary weight. However if the staff hasn't pushed him to do that because of what was the more immediate need at DE then he might still have a shot to do so. I guess we will see.
He's not trying to add weight. They want him at DE this year. Williams came in at 250 too. With Williams fast progress, staff might have to decided to keep Black at DE. We will see in 2018

He's not trying to add weight. They want him at DE this year. Williams came in at 250 too. With Williams fast progress, staff might have to decided to keep Black at DE. We will see in 2018

I think this is the case with Williams looking solid at DT.

I can see Allen playing some pass rush DT and Berry at the least will be on the field in passing situations. I can see Josh Black eventually going inside (probably next year) It would be nice if we can redshirt Morton and Jonathan. I have a feeling Jonathan will play some downs. Also depends on Pickard who Im not sure of. He didnt show much in the spring game. I hope he can turn it up. Rooting for the kid.

I recall the Giants 2012 Super Bowl team where they put 4 pass rushing DEs on the field on passing downs - JPP, Tuck, Osi and ?. Basically put their best four pass rushers on the field regardless of their roster position. With the gains in strength and conditioning might be a consideration for us? Our DEs last year were undersized and under experienced to have much of an impact. Most of our OLBs are more tailored to dropping into coverage rather than beast mode edge rushers so I think pressure HAS to come from the front four. I think there were cases last year where we tried to line up some undersized LBs at DE and results were not good.

I recall the Giants 2012 Super Bowl team where they put 4 pass rushing DEs on the field on passing downs - JPP, Tuck, Osi and ?. Basically put their best four pass rushers on the field regardless of their roster position. With the gains in strength and conditioning might be a consideration for us? Our DEs last year were undersized and under experienced to have much of an impact. Most of our OLBs are more tailored to dropping into coverage rather than beast mode edge rushers so I think pressure HAS to come from the front four. I think there were cases last year where we tried to line up some undersized LBs at DE and results were not good.

Mathias Kiwanuka

The NASCAR package

Yes, good point. Put the best rushers out there.

Players adding weight to their frame is routine in college football. He could put on 20 pounds by the spring. Its up to the staff to determine what they want to do with him. I was told he would be an ideal 3 tech. They can very well keep him at D end or they can transition him inside. Every staff in the country is deciding what players they are going to add muscle to so they can move down a position. Thats how you become more athletic. Allows you to compete against teams that are bigger and faster than you.

I can add 20 lbs in a weekend. These guys need to get with the program and stop slacking. I'll be happy to share my diet and exercise regimen with them if it will help.

I can add 20 lbs in a weekend. These guys need to get with the program and stop slacking. I'll be happy to share my diet and exercise regimen with them if it will help.
All4: Classic!

SYRACUSE, N.Y. – Redshirt junior defensive lineman Josh Allen has been medically disqualified from participation in football at Syracuse University after being diagnosed with a cardiac condition. Allen, a junior-college transfer, joined the Orange earlier this month in preparation for the start of preseason camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom