Class of 2017 - JUCO DE Josh Allen (CA) COMMITTED to SYRACUSE/ DQed | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 JUCO DE Josh Allen (CA) COMMITTED to SYRACUSE/ DQed

Thank god. We could really use him this year.

Hope he has been training over the summer. I assume the staff put him on a plan once he committed. He didn't look in peak shape around his commitment time and we really need him to make an impact this fall.

Adding Allen and Berry was huge. At the very least they provide veteran depth and allow Morton and Jonathan the opportunity to redshirt.
It'll be really interesting to see weight and positions once camp opens. Does Allen or Pickard go to the middle and allow Harper to redshirt?

It'll be really interesting to see weight and positions once camp opens. Does Allen or Pickard go to the middle and allow Harper to redshirt?
I thought Harper was going to be a fullback. Is it a foregone conclusion that he will play DT?

I can see Allen playing some pass rush DT and Berry at the least will be on the field in passing situations. I can see Josh Black eventually going inside (probably next year) It would be nice if we can redshirt Morton and Jonathan. I have a feeling Jonathan will play some downs. Also depends on Pickard who Im not sure of. He didnt show much in the spring game. I hope he can turn it up. Rooting for the kid.

Absolutely love the conversation I just read up there. Really, really, am excited for the season because of a few reasons:

1) The offense was very good last season and I think theres a good chance we see a big jump in 2018 also.
2) The defense has added some serious depth(as noted above) and I think that just the slightest improvement could give us 1 or 2 more wins.
3) While the schedule is extremely tough, I think we will get the best of one of those top 25 teams, as we did last season, and I for one, want to be watching when that happens.

I think there's great potential all over the defense, however the Achilles heel is very much possibly the defensive line. Slayton seems to be the one sure thing, and beyond him that's it. No depth at defensive tackle and no proven production at defensive end.

I am hopeful that Coleman and Black have taken a step forward and that the newcomers are able to be difference makers, but all of it has yet to be seen.

Linebackers, incredible. Potential in the defensive backfield, fantastic. But what's this defensive line able to do between games 4 and 12? Let's hope more than meets the eye

I think there's great potential all over the defense, however the Achilles heel is very much possibly the defensive line. Slayton seems to be the one sure thing, and beyond him that's it. No depth at defensive tackle and no proven production at defensive end.

I am hopeful that Coleman and Black have taken a step forward and that the newcomers are able to be difference makers, but all of it has yet to be seen.

Linebackers, incredible. Potential in the defensive backfield, fantastic. But what's this defensive line able to do between games 4 and 12? Let's hope more than meets the eye

The ability t0 generate pass rush from the DL scares me, as does depth at DT. Clark's loss is huge -- he was a DT with the size / strength to match up with anybody that we played, including FSU and Clemson, and his loss can't be understated. We really need sophs McKinley Williams and Ruff to emerge as contributors, and Samuels to take a step forward. And even if those things happen, we still probably need true frosh Harper and that JUCO transfer [name escapes me] to platoon to help compensate for Clark.

At DE, how much better will Black / Coleman be after a year of experience and collegiate S&C under their belts? What will the two JUCO DEs bring to the table? Does a formerly highly touted player like Pickard bounce back?

Need pass rush. If we can get even a modicum of it, the secondary reinforcements are going to make this D play SO much better. But being able to get upfield and put pressure on the QB is the key.

The ability t0 generate pass rush from the DL scares me, as does depth at DT. Clark's loss is huge -- he was a DT with the size / strength to match up with anybody that we played, including FSU and Clemson, and his loss can't be understated. We really need sophs McKinley Williams and Ruff to emerge as contributors, and Samuels to take a step forward. And even if those things happen, we still probably need true frosh Harper and that JUCO transfer [name escapes me] to platoon to help compensate for Clark.

At DE, how much better will Black / Coleman be after a year of experience and collegiate S&C under their belts? What will the two JUCO DEs bring to the table? Does a formerly highly touted player like Pickard bounce back?

Need pass rush. If we can get even a modicum of it, the secondary reinforcements are going to make this D play SO much better. But being able to get upfield and put pressure on the QB is the key.
Completely agree with all of this. Absolutely.

All good points. I'm cautiously optimistic that even with the loss of Steven Clark, 2-3 guys from the groups you highlighted will take a significant step forward and play at a very high level. I'm not sure who all of them are, but I think Josh Black will be one. I am generally trusting in Slayton, advances in S&C and experience with the younger guys, and Dino's eye for Juco talent.

I thought McKinley Williams was pretty damn good last year.

So did I -- but there is a difference between playing in a reserve capacity and stepping into a starter's role. Plus, these guys have some big shoes to fill.

Hopefully, he'll be up to the task and accord himself well.

We're just going to outscore people.

Kurt Warner approves.

images

So did I -- but there is a difference between playing in a reserve capacity and stepping into a starter's role. Plus, these guys have some big shoes to fill.

Hopefully, he'll be up to the task and accord himself well.
This is true. Don't forget Williams put on 40 pounds this off season and looks awesome. However we don't know how well he will perform with extra weight. We will see during the summer and early fall practice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom