Class of 2023 - JUCO DL Michael Nwokocha (TX) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (1/8/24) | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 JUCO DL Michael Nwokocha (TX) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (1/8/24)

Get what you are saying but I do think that Dino “laid into” who he was, a military kid who grew up on bases all over. I’m not sure that even at age 41 that Dino the same life experiences that Fran has and that the kids connect to. From the outside looking in both men very much stayed true to who they are, which is good because kids generally see right thru the BS anyways.
Agree that he did lean into his and his family's military background. And also agree that Dino was true to who HE was and Dino Babers is/was a fine man and solid leader of young men.

But I also think to a certain degree he downplayed his race, which again is fine as a life choice and a coaching choice. There is nothing wrong with it. It's simply the way the man operates. But I also think that taking that approach forfeited a unique advantage that Dino had versus some of the other ACC coaches. And looking at the mediocre results of his recruiting, he really needed to take advantage of any and every edge he had as a recruiter.

Back To Nwokocha, this is the type of JUCO transfer we never got under Babers - real difference maker. This kid's athleticism at his size is NFL level. Great pick up.

Last edited:
I don't consider it a flaw at all. I'd rather every coach be judged by their performance on and off the field and nothing else. What's amazing is that this will probably be considered controversial.
I too would rather see every coach judged solely by their performance on and off the field. I don't consider that controversial at all. In fact, I think it's a fair, reasonable take that I embrace.

I guess where our views part ways is on the significance of an African-American coach not using his cultural background - and the uniqueness of it in field where there's a dearth of Black Head Coaches - as more of a selling point to potential recruits - a great many of whom are also African-American.

But that was Dino's approach and it bore the results it bore. Coach Fran has a different approach and we're seeing very different, much improved results including the addition of this terrific JUCO DT.

I too would rather see every coach judged solely by their performance on and off the field. I don't consider that controversial at all. In fact, I think it's a fair, reasonable take that I embrace.

I guess where our views part ways is on the significance of an African-American coach not using his cultural background - and the uniqueness of it in field where there's a dearth of Black Head Coaches - as more of a selling point to potential recruits - a great many of whom are also African-American.

But that was Dino's approach and it bore the results it bore. Coach Fran has a different approach and we're seeing very different, much improved results including the addition of this terrific JUCO DT.
Fran and Dino’s backgrounds were not really similar and Dino is 22 years older. He could not relate the way Fran does, but he did so in his own way and I am sure in a more private way. I think you are mostly off base in this.

Fran and Dino’s backgrounds were not really similar and Dino is 22 years older. He could not relate the way Fran does, but he did so in his own way and I am sure in a more private way. I think you are mostly off base in this.
That's fine. You're entitled to your opinion as am I. Go Orange!

I think they want to attend because of the HC and staff. The school and location are not the detriment we thought

If you look back 50 years, "East Coast Football" is Penn State, Syracuse, Pitt, West Virginia and BC. Rutgers was never nothin'. Temple, nah. There is a sales pitch there for coaches and parents and even grandparents.

Fran seems to realize, we "are" east coast football. We have a legendary program. And he connects with all these folks on a personal level.

Now this was a nice halftime surprise! Huge get!! Up next Mazz?

As I think Hastings is ours.

We're really building up a pretty good roster!

I think the biggest needs right now are a couple more OL, a back up QB who is game-ready, another DT and another CB. And if we somehow wound up with one more excellent (portal, proven) WR, geez, we are so close to being really good.

This year is going to be fascinating. I hope these guys can all coach together.

With Nwokocha's commitment we've moved up to #38 at rvls.

TwoFourSeven composite (which looks like it excludes transfers) also has us at 38 now. Best I can tell they include JUCOs with the new recruits, not with the transfers.

They rated him an 89. Which is better than all but two recruits (Tremble at 91 and the King at 90).

Could be one of the better starting defensive lines we've ever had, looking across all 4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom