JUCO/Grad Transfer Wish List | Syracusefan.com

JUCO/Grad Transfer Wish List

The only place I want a Juco or Grad really is Center, and possibly a DE.

No way to QB?

Does this mean you legitimately think this program is OK at the QB position?

Are you being serious?

How did you interpret from what I said above, that "this program is OK at the QB position?"

People throw out JUCO as if it is some stone that our coaching staff has overlooked. In reality, we don't often dip into the JUCO well because the quality of JUCO football in the Northeast is subpar. The players we've traditionally brought in are typically supplemental depth / overlooked guys -- nothing wrong with that. Starting caliber guys -- less likely for us to land. Impact players? Very unlikely, unless the stars align circumstantially.

I am intrigued by the staff's pursuit of the A&M / UNC decommit, because he's already qualified academically. So, if we were to land him, he could be here in January [wouldn't need to graduate from his junior college to be eligible, unlike the vast majority of JUCO players], go through spring ball, and be as ready as possible for training camp 2020.

Under those circumstances -- sure, bring him in. At minimum, it would provide depth / competition, and if he proves to be outright better than Tommy, then disco.

Absent a situation where a kid could be here in the spring, no -- a typical JUCO QB is not on my wish list. And if Fortin ends up not being a realistic option for us, then I'd expect that we won't consider JUCO options at QB.

Supplemental depth at DT? A pass-rushing DE? That big OT from ASA? Check, check, and check.

I’d take a JUCO Center, MLB and NT.

Quality JUCO interior DL are nearly impossible to find. They’re usually pretty well picked over.

And no f'ig way to QB, unless it is extremely favorable circumstances for our program.
Wow. Guess Tommy’s mom is posting here, too.

How did you interpret from what I said above, that "this program is OK at the QB position?"

People throw out JUCO as if it is some stone that our coaching staff has overlooked. In reality, we don't often dip into the JUCO well because the quality of JUCO football in the Northeast is subpar. The players we've traditionally brought in are typically supplemental depth / overlooked guys -- nothing wrong with that. Starting caliber guys -- less likely for us to land. Impact players? Very unlikely, unless the stars align circumstantially.

I am intrigued by the staff's pursuit of the A&M / UNC decommit, because he's already qualified academically. So, if we were to land him, he could be here in January [wouldn't need to graduate from his junior college to be eligible, unlike the vast majority of JUCO players], go through spring ball, and be as ready as possible for training camp 2020.

Under those circumstances -- sure, bring him in. At minimum, it would provide depth / competition, and if he proves to be outright better than Tommy, then disco.

Absent a situation where a kid could be here in the spring, no -- a typical JUCO QB is not on my wish list. And if Fortin ends up not being a realistic option for us, then I'd expect that we won't consider JUCO options at QB.

Supplemental depth at DT? A pass-rushing DE? That big OT from ASA? Check, check, and check.
Great post. You make a lot of sense.

Babers has not dipped into juco except for Ryan Guthrie LB in 2017 - 2018 (made all-ACC 2nd team) and Williams LB in 2017 - 2019 (starting this season) and Tisdale OL (2nd unit). Welch might be the only example of an “overlooked guy”. Marrone’s rebuild used jucos in several spots, notably Tiller at OG.

With where we are in the roster, and in the 2020 recruiting cycle, could use juco help, as well as grad transfer help. We are thin at DT, LB, CB, OT. Devito will improve, but an upgrade at QB would make us a much better offense.

Babers has not dipped into juco except for Ryan Guthrie LB in 2017 - 2018 (made all-ACC 2nd team) and Williams LB in 2017 - 2019 (starting this season) and Tisdale OL (2nd unit). Welch might be the only example of an “overlooked guy”. Marrone’s rebuild used jucos in several spots, notably Tiller at OG.

With where we are in the roster, and in the 2020 recruiting cycle, could use juco help, as well as grad transfer help. We are thin at DT, LB, CB, OT. Devito will improve, but an upgrade at QB would make us a much better offense.
He has more then "dipped" into JUCO - you missed a bunch

Berry
Pierce
Guthrie
Robinson
Allen & Williams signed but didn't make it

Johnson
Williams

Berry
Pierce
Guthrie
Robinson

Johnson
Williams
Right thanks, I forgot Pierce, Berry, and Robinson, 2 multi-year starters and a significant back up. Not gonna count any who didn’t make it or Johnson who has not had any impact. The list is long enough to show that we can bring in good jucos, and they help.

Berry
Pierce
Guthrie
Robinson

Johnson
Williams

And Grosvenuer

Far from the only example of the "overlooked" guy -- see: Guthrie. And I'm not talking about walk-ons.

I have a difficult time pegging Alton Robinson as a JUCO, given the circumstances of him ending up there, how his legal issue resolved, and how he arrived here late in camp the moment he was cleared.

But even so, let's just count him as a JUCO. He is a star, perhaps the best talent we've had on the team in years, and a guy that we normally wouldn't have landed if not for the stars aligning and the kid falling into our lap. Kudos to our staff for leaving no stone unturned. So let's break the rest of the list down:

Robinson -- see above, true impact player
Guthrie -- didn't receive any other D1 offers, despite being a JUCO all-american, due to being undersized
Berry -- solid complimentary depth player
Pierce -- production dipped substantially in 2nd year, due to him being a hotheaded personal foul machine
Allen & Williams -- neither made it to campus
Johnson -- has yet to see a meaningful snap
Williams -- special teams ace as a first year player, starter in second year
Grosvenour -- platoon guy as senior, who hasn't seen much PT

From that list, Robinson is a true impact player [arriving here under extremely unusual circumstances], Guthrie was a very good player who far outshot his offer list, Berry is a quality depth guy who has been a spot starter, and Williams is getting quality run this year. Pierce looked like he had a world of potential, but failed to live up to it.

The rest? Not much production.

And this is the issue I have with this thread -- the question is NOT whether we can get some quality players via JUCO, it is whether we can consistently land starting caliber players via that route. Somebody posted above that we need a talent infusion, but I don't believe that it is realistic to expect that we can get that from the JUCO ranks.

Supplemental depth? Sure.
Quality prospects who can step right into starting roles? Less likely.
Impact players? Not very often.

I also contend that it is easier to fill some positions via JUCO [i.e., linebackers] than it is to find others [OT, DT, etc.]. In part, I think that's what explains us having success with Guthrie, Williams, Siriki Diabate [back in the day], etc.

Far from the only example of the "overlooked" guy -- see: Guthrie. And I'm not talking about walk-ons.

I have a difficult time pegging Alton Robinson as a JUCO, given the circumstances of him ending up there, how his legal issue resolved, and how he arrived here late in camp the moment he was cleared.

But even so, let's just count him as a JUCO. He is a star, perhaps the best talent we've had on the team in years, and a guy that we normally wouldn't have landed if not for the stars aligning and the kid falling into our lap. Kudos to our staff for leaving no stone unturned. So let's break the rest of the list down:

Robinson -- see above, true impact player
Guthrie -- didn't receive any other D1 offers, despite being a JUCO all-american, due to being undersized
Berry -- solid complimentary depth player
Pierce -- production dipped substantially in 2nd year, due to him being a hotheaded personal foul machine
Allen & Williams -- neither made it to campus
Johnson -- has yet to see a meaningful snap
Williams -- special teams ace as a first year player, starter in second year
Grosvenour -- platoon guy as senior, who hasn't seen much PT

From that list, Robinson is a true impact player [arriving here under extremely unusual circumstances], Guthrie was a very good player who far outshot his offer list, Berry is a quality depth guy who has been a spot starter, and Williams is getting quality run this year.

The rest? Not so much.

And this is the issue I have with this thread -- the question is NOT whether we can get some quality players via JUCO, it is whether we can consistently land starting caliber players via that route. Somebody posted above that we need a talent infusion, but I don't believe that it is realistic to expect that we can get that from the JUCO ranks.

Supplemental depth? Sure.
Quality prospects who can step right into starting roles? Less likely.
Impact players? Not very often.

I also contend that it is easier to fill some positions via JUCO [i.e., linebackers] than it is to find others [OT, DT, etc.]. In part, I think that's what explains us having success with Guthrie, Williams, Siriki Diabate [back in the day], etc.

Kansas State filled their roster every year with JUCOs under the previous coach whose name I can't remember. They did very well with that strategy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom