Class of 2023 - JUCO OL Lysander Moeolo (WA / TX) COMMITTED / SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (10/31/22) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 JUCO OL Lysander Moeolo (WA / TX) COMMITTED / SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (10/31/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have high hopes -- most of the JUCO OL we've been able to pull over the years aren't immediate impact guys.

But if this can move his puppies a little, he's a quality get -- even if it takes a year for him to round into form as a contributor.

Would love to see a coach's assessment of his capabilities / mobility.
We haven't had a coach like Schmidt as OL coach. When Doug was here we pulled in a couple of Juco lineman who were pretty good.
Expect Schmidt has a good feel for what we need.

We haven't had a coach like Schmidt as OL coach. When Doug was here we pulled in a couple of Juco lineman who were pretty good.

I love Schmidt. I think he's been a home run hire.

Doesn't change my opinion that historically, the JUCO OL we've brought in have been project types who need time to round into form as contributors, if they do at all. We had one lone exception -- Andrew Tiller -- and lots of examples of guys over the years who didn't come close to Tiller.

I agree that we have a good "system" in place now in terms of OL. But most of the guys we bring in need a year or two to physically optimize and / or gain weight in the case of HS prospects. Despite that, I love bringing in a prospect like this. He was a Nevada commit out of HS, he has Colorado State / Hawaii offers now, and he's massive.

If the coaches like the raw materials and think he fits our system, that's good enough for me. I just don't think its realistic to expect an immediate contributor, based upon the offer list and his current weight. CIL covered it well above.

Good gamble either way.

A much needed pickup for our OL!!!

0C90863D-2EF0-417D-833C-03018D786B53.jpeg

Yeah I was thinking Guard - Andrew Tiller type player when I saw him. Obviously needs work to be Andrew Tiller.

"Roto"

LYSANDER MOEOLO COMMIT TO SU JUCO NAVARRO COLLEGE CORSICANA, TX
# 78 6' 6" 345 OT STATS N/A

ASSETS PER FILM:
QUICK FOR SIZE
USES FEET WELL
VERY STRONG
GREAT BLOCKER BOTH PASS AND RUNNING, HAD HIS MAN ON THE GROUND SEVERAL PLAYS
STAYS WITH MAN TO BLOCK HIM OUT OF THE PLAY AFTER RB IS THROUGH
LOTS OF PANCAKES

GOOD OFFER

WHAT HAPPENED: Syracuse received a commitment from Lysander Moeolo, an offensive lineman from Navarro (TX) College. Moeolo was originally a three-star recruit in the 2021 cycle from Lacey, WA, and was the 168th rated offensive tackle in his class. He is listed at 6 foot 6, and 330 pounds on the Navarro website. The Orange had offered Moeolo on Oct. 7.

Syracuse, N.Y. — Syracuse football added its first new commit to its 2023 class since late July on Monday.

Offensive lineman Lysander Moeolo, a junior college prospect, announced his verbal commitment to the Orange via Twitter. He’s currently playing his second season at Navarro College in Corsicana, Texas. He announced his offer from SU on Oct. 7.

Moeolo is 6-foot-6, 345 pounds and listed as an offensive tackle. He also received offers from Georgia Southern, Hawaii and Old Dominion among others. Syracuse was his only Power 5 offer.

Originally from Lacey, Washington, Moeolo played at Timberline High School.

Syracuse currently has nine other players committed to its 2023 class, all of whom will be true freshmen. Moeolo is the second offensive lineman in the class. He joins Massachusetts offensive tackle Jayden Bass.

Michael Hay was good. I'll never forget the game when Hay was on the bench with his head down and Doug was berating him. Then Doug slapped Hay's shoulder as encouragement and sent him back in the game and Hay hit the ground running ready to road grade someone. I remember the announcer saying of Doug, "That's the Oline coach in him, coaching his guy up. 'Now get back in there and blow your guy up!'" Hay was a NYC kid like Doug, played at Nassau CC before Cuse. He was one of Doug's hogs.

Last edited:
Michael Hay was good. I'll never forget the game when Hay was on the bench with his head down and Doug was berating him. Then Doug slapped Hay's shoulder as encouragement and sent him back in the game and Hay hit the ground running ready to road grade someone. I remember the announcer saying of Doug, "That's the Oline coach in him, coaching his guy up. 'Now get back in there and blow your guy up!'" Hay was a NYC kid like Doug, played at Nassau CC before Cuse. He was one of Doug's hogs.
Didn’t he have a stupid amount of personal foul penalties at SU?

I think he might have...
He did. Doug liked his OL to play physical but Michael took that to another level.

Andrew Tiller was a JUCO transfer from Nassau that was really good. I think he was the best of the bunch. Believe Anselmo coached him there before they both came to Syracuse.

Slow getting out of his stance.
Quality DE will beat him on pass protection.
Schmidt needs to "coach him up' or we got Linda Ronstadt
singing Blue Bayou...

Thanks Coach Scarnecchia

He did. Doug liked his OL to play physical but Michael took that to another level.

Andrew Tiller was a JUCO transfer from Nassau that was really good. I think he was the best of the bunch. Believe Anselmo coached him there before they both came to Syracuse.
With the current rulings in games he probably would have missed parts of games for suspensions.
But he and Tiller would move you out of the way.

He was on the Saints for a bit

Had a six year career in NFL

Yeah Hay definitely took it too far at times but he was a quality JUCO OL.

Only other one I can think of was John Miller who started at C for a year. Most of the other JUCO OL we’ve had over the past 20 years mostly ended up as depth guys.

Thanks, B -- makes sense.

Sounds like he's best suited for interior OL, based upon that assessment. Also makes sense that he might need a year in the weight room / learning the system before he'd be ready to challenge for a spot on the two-deep.

Still like the signing! At our level, OL generally need to be developed.
Playing on the line you need to take it as far as possible. This isnt ballet

Yeah Hay definitely took it too far at times but he was a quality JUCO OL.

Only other one I can think of was John Miller who started at C for a year. Most of the other JUCO OL we’ve had over the past 20 years mostly ended up as depth guys.
Andrew Tiller made it to the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.