Class of 2019 - JUCO RB JJ Branham (OH / TX) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (7/10/23) | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 JUCO RB JJ Branham (OH / TX) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (7/10/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair point. I do want to see him run enough so the D doesn’t get comfortable but imo he is at his best running when he scrambles and makes shxt happen. I want plenty of that.

If we have a decent OL and a pack of hungry backs who can advance the rock. I’d like them to absorb hits so GS doesn’t have to.

Garret looked really accurate the first half of last year. No reason he can’t build on that if his arm is healthier than ever. So I’m hoping for a big yards in “the Throw Game” as Dino has been known to call it
Yeah, I think teams know he can do it, so that's probably what they're going to start the season sitting on until we show we can hurt them in other ways. We need the RBs to be a threat and at least one other WR to emerge so that teams can't just double OG and spy Shrader.

Last edited:
This kid looks like a tuff kid i think we are going to be very happy he picked cuse

I watched a pretty lengthy video compilation on him on the Nunes site. He looks thick, but he does not look nearly 5-10 tall to me. He's quick through the hole, has nice cutting ability, but I don't see him as a power short yardage runner. I don't see this guy moving a pile against top competition. He looks small and shifty more than a banger to me.

Last edited:
Planned Garrett runs, (or these inside option plays), should be part of the offense but one of many different things we can do.

I think it's safer for him to run on planned plays, like QB draws or read options around the end. It's the scrambles and the pass blocking that have exposed him to the most risk of injury, IMO.

I also like your past suggestion of having 2 RBs in the backfield on some occasions. The running game can really overcome talent gaps with counters, misdirection and all the different blocking schemes you can come up with when you have 2 RBs and a TE.

I watched a pretty lengthy video compilation on him on the Nunes site. He looks thick, but he does not look nearly 5-10 tall to me. He's quick through the hole, has nice cutting ability, but I don't see him as a power short yardage runner. I don't see this guy moving a pile against top competition. He looks small and shifty more than a banger to me.

Agreed. I would like to see him in space. The other Juco is more of a one cut between the tackles runner

Tall doesn't move the pile.

the height doesn't matter much. A 5-8, 5-9 human at 205 to 215 is a bowling ball. It's ideal RB size imo. I see a kid who puts his shoulder down and runs over guys, a kid who pretty much needs to be gang tackled. Combine that with some of the juking it's impressive. He's a jitterbug with Ray Rice type power. It's been a while since we've had a back that can plant and cut on a dime. Hope it translates. But we don't really need a guy to move a pile. We need a kid who makes guys miss in space and then runs over people.

Tall doesn't move the pile.
Agreed. Height doesn't move the pile, power does. Regardless, I don't think Dino/Beck are looking for a "move the pile" guy. I think there is more value in an uptempo spread-style offense with a "make the first guy miss" skill set. The power part would be an added bonus.

Agreed. Height doesn't move the pile, power does. Regardless, I don't think Dino/Beck are looking for a "move the pile" guy. I think there is more value in an uptempo spread-style offense with a "make the first guy miss" skill set. The power part would be an added bonus.
Joe was about 5-7 but guick through the hole and hard to tackle when at full speed.

I think it's safer for him to run on planned plays, like QB draws or read options around the end. It's the scrambles and the pass blocking that have exposed him to the most risk of injury, IMO.

I also like your past suggestion of having 2 RBs in the backfield on some occasions. The running game can really overcome talent gaps with counters, misdirection and all the different blocking schemes you can come up with when you have 2 RBs and a TE.
Occasional QB draws can also help slow down blitzes

the height doesn't matter much. A 5-8, 5-9 human at 205 to 215 is a bowling ball. It's ideal RB size imo. I see a kid who puts his shoulder down and runs over guys, a kid who pretty much needs to be gang tackled. Combine that with some of the juking it's impressive. He's a jitterbug with Ray Rice type power. It's been a while since we've had a back that can plant and cut on a dime. Hope it translates. But we don't really need a guy to move a pile. We need a kid who makes guys miss in space and then runs over people.

The thing is, I didn't see any of that in his highlights tape. I saw some pass blocking, including a great effort play where he blocked 2 different rushers. But I don't recall him moving the pile in any short yardage situation in that tape.

And I think this is the right take on this guy.

The thing is, I didn't see any of that in his highlights tape. I saw some pass blocking, including a great effort play where he blocked 2 different rushers. But I don't recall him moving the pile in any short yardage situation in that tape.

We must be watching different tapes then. Everything I described is in those highlights.

There's maybe 1 short yardage clip that he scores a TD on. There's nothing in the tape to suggest he can or can't move a pile but we dont really need him (or anyone) to move a pile.

You still have to sustain and finish drives with first downs and touchdowns. Who do we go for that?

You still have to sustain and finish drives with first downs and touchdowns. Who do we go for that?
Do you really think we won’t have options?

Definitely like what Shrader brings to the table with his scrambling ability, but sometimes sliding is the better part of valor. Far too often he takes unnecessary hits to his legs and goes flying ass over tea kettle

We must be watching different tapes then. Everything I described is in those highlights.

There's maybe 1 short yardage clip that he scores a TD on. There's nothing in the tape to suggest he can or can't move a pile but we dont really need him (or anyone) to move a pile.

I provided a link in my post. Maybe you were watching something else.

I would guess Shrader is going to run most of the time in short yardage situations. He is big, tough and experienced.

Right? He's one of the top dual threat quarterbacks in college football. Great starting point.

And in this era of modern football, 4 yard passing plays get the job done just as easily as a run. It's not like you have to run three times and try to pick up the first down with a cloud of dust.

Right? He's one of the top dual threat quarterbacks in college football. Great starting point.

And in this era of modern football, 4 yard passing plays get the job done just as easily as a run. It's not like you have to run three times and try to pick up the first down with a cloud of dust.
Yup, GS might present the most challenges to defenses in short yardage situations. And Ds always need to account for OG. LA looks like he could be a threat running or receiving. It’s not like there won’t be options if we don’t have a guy that can “move the pile.”

I provided a link in my post. Maybe you were watching something else.

The third clip 35 seconds in. He runs through a double team arm tackle, puts his shoulder down and runs over the third tackler, then jukes the gang tackle and proceeds to put his shoulder down again and pick up 4 additional yards carying tacklers.

4th clip is a short yardage touchdown and he hits the line hard pushes the DL back as he goes in.

5th clip as he jukes multiple tacklers and finishes the run putting his shoulder into a guy and carrying two more tacklers.

6th clip after a wicked juke, again puts his shoulder down into the next guy and 3 guys on his back bring him down.

7th clip, runs through 2 arm tackles bounces off the third and 4th guy and takes the 5th and 6th guys to bring him. Always moves forward.

I love that no arm tackles brings this kid down and he seems to enjoy punishing tacklers. Takes multiple guys to bring him down. Always moving forward. His jukiing ability might be the best we’ve brought in since Brinkley, Antoine Smith maybe Delone Carter pre injury. We haven’t had a back juke the way he does in a long time.

No idea if any of it will translate to the ACC, but there’s a lot to like here. 5-8 205 seems perfect to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.