Class of 2019 - JUCO RB JJ Branham (OH / TX) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (7/10/23) | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 JUCO RB JJ Branham (OH / TX) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (7/10/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a QB lining up in shotgun and a questionable OL, the ability of the RB to block is going to also be a key determinant of playing time. A RB who misses their blocking assignments or doesn't block well might not see the field, even if they are good rushing the ball.
another reason why LA is so important. His threat of catching the ball has to be honored by the D which obviously helps

Does anyone remember what kind of play Hunt, Dungy, DeVito and Shrader have bene hurt on? Were they designed running plays, passing plays where they stayed in the pocket or scrambles? I'm inclined to think the latter two.

And if you want the QB in a pocket, 2 RBs are better than one.
It's not necessarily one play or any certain kind of play. You increase your odds of getting hurt the more you get hit. Getting hit while throwing may be more dangerous, but when you throw, there isn't a guarantee of getting hit. When you run down field there almost always is.

Your last sentence isn't necessarily true. The more guys you keep in, the fewer guys they have to cover downfield, and the more guys they can use to rush the passer. Or the fewer guys they have to cover, so the harder it is to get someone open, so the longer the QB holds the ball, and then you have a better chance of a defender slipping into the backfield.

Dungey’s first big hit was on a scramble that turned into a run.

It's not necessarily one play or any certain kind of play. You increase your odds of getting hurt the more you get hit. Getting hit while throwing may be more dangerous, but when you throw, there isn't a guarantee of getting hit. When you run down field there almost always is.

Your last sentence isn't necessarily true. The more guys you keep in, the fewer guys they have to cover downfield, and the more guys they can use to rush the passer. Or the fewer guys they have to cover, so the harder it is to get someone open, so the longer the QB holds the ball, and then you have a better chance of a defender slipping into the backfield.

One thing about a designed run: the runner has a chance to initiate the contact. I think he's less likely to be injured if he does so.

He reminds me of Jarveon Howard and Blinn sure likes running him on inside handoffs. Babers might be drooling about this even though we have a new OC.

His power and strength and violent hard cuts look impressive.
2018, Moe and Dontae got the defense huffing then we brought in Jarveon to bulldoze them. Beautiful running attack with Eric. Unfortunate that Markenzy had fumble issues, he was a Shy Cullen build with speed

One thing about a designed run: the runner has a chance to initiate the contact. I think he's less likely to be injured if he does so.
It's still a hit. Have you ever played football? The more hits you take, the more worn down you get. The more worn down you get, the more likely you are to get injured. We know he's gonna get hit passing some of the time because every QB does and we know he's gonna take off on some unscripted runs. His designed runs need to be limited to just enough to keep defenses honest and if it's absolutely necessary during a big moment in a game. We need other guys to pick up the load so Shrader doesn't have to do it all.

It's still a hit. Have you ever played football? The more hits you take, the more worn down you get. The more worn down you get, the more likely you are to get injured. We know he's gonna get hit passing some of the time because every QB does and we know he's gonna take off on some unscripted runs. His designed runs need to be limited to just enough to keep defenses honest and if it's absolutely necessary during a big moment in a game. We need other guys to pick up the load so Shrader doesn't have to do it all.
Agree with this. Have to take less hits. Would like to see his rush attempts get under a 100. With 400 yards rushing 7 TD's

Agree with this. Have to take less hits. Would like to see his rush attempts get under a 100. With 400 yards rushing 7 TD's
That's why having this player taking Rhinos place is a good idea.
If he can block, adding a 3rd running threat gives the defense more problems.
Rhino was a good blocker but the defense didn't worry about him running or catching a pass.
Plus if he shows the ability to catch passes, you have a problem for the defense.

That's why having this player taking Rhinos place is a good idea.
If he can block, adding a 3rd running threat gives the defense more problems.
Rhino was a good blocker but the defense didn't worry about him running or catching a pass.
Plus if he shows the ability to catch passes, you have a problem for the defense.
I was told that the team will not be using a player in Rhinos role this year.

I was told that the team will not be using a player in Rhinos role this year.
I don’t think Branham is a Rhino replacement. He isn’t remotely close to the same type of player as Rhino.

That said, if we run some option, I could see JJ filling the fullback role. He would be ideal running quick dives down the middle to help keep the defense honest.

We have some interesting pieces on offense. Coach Beck can take the offense in a number of directions.

Let's bring back the wishbone! Shrader, Branham at FB, LA,and price as HB.

I don’t think Branham is a Rhino replacement. He isn’t remotely close to the same type of player as Rhino.

That said, if we run some option, I could see JJ filling the fullback role. He would be ideal running quick dives down the middle to help keep the defense honest.

We have some interesting pieces on offense. Coach Beck can take the offense in a number of directions.
As someone mentioned earlier, he seems like a good candidate to fill the Jarveon Howard type role. I think that's more likely given we don't seem to have anyone that is as every down skillset wise as Tucker was.

Agree 100%. I’d love to see Shrader run almost exclusively on scrambles and rarely get his number called. A few times to keep D guessing and some goal line situations but I REEEEAAALLLY want to see GS play 12 games.
I’m dreaming of what we can accomplish with his surgically repaired arm.

Agree 100%. I’d love to see Shrader run almost exclusively on scrambles and rarely get his number called. A few times to keep D guessing and some goal line situations but I REEEEAAALLLY want to see GS play 12 games.
Third and fourth down and short, goal line.

I think you're shortchanging what makes him good if you rarely use the threat of a run. You don't want to over do it, but you have to take some advantage of that ability.

Here's another great Shrader performance. The last play illustrates that putting him in the pocket isn't going to protect him from contact.

“Happiness is the full use of one's talents along lines of excellence in a life affording them scope.” - John Kennedy

I just rewatched the BC game and notice a large chunk of 2 back sets with LeQuint and #Pl34sed

I could image one of the junco power backs we picked up playing along side Allen particularly since Allen is so good catching balls out of the backfield.

Here is my WAG for our most common formations

1/3 - 2 back set with Allen and a JUCO power back

1/3 - 1 back set with a mix of Mang or Clemens depending on a passing or running situation

1/3 - 1 back set with 4 wide, using OG as the hybrid
The Rhino set is gone from what im hearing

And you have to rush him less because you aren’t coaching a guy like him to slide 9 times out of 10. That mf’er wants to pop someone when he has the chance.

Thank god. It was ugly with hoeh in there. I’ve never seen a player false start so often.
Yep great news - Hoeh wasn’t the right fit and unless we have a Rhino clone it should be shelved for now.

I think you're shortchanging what makes him good if you rarely use the threat of a run. You don't want to over do it, but you have to take some advantage of that ability.
Fair point. I do want to see him run enough so the D doesn’t get comfortable but imo he is at his best running when he scrambles and makes shxt happen. I want plenty of that.

If we have a decent OL and a pack of hungry backs who can advance the rock. I’d like them to absorb hits so GS doesn’t have to.

Garret looked really accurate the first half of last year. No reason he can’t build on that if his arm is healthier than ever. So I’m hoping for a big yards in “the Throw Game” as Dino has been known to call it

Status
Not open for further replies.