Class of 2016 - JUCO WR Alonge Brooks (TX) to South Dakota | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 JUCO WR Alonge Brooks (TX) to South Dakota

I'm just hoping that they reach out to Harmon and see where his head is before offering this kid.

I'm just hoping that they reach out to Harmon and see where his head is before offering this kid.
How do you know they haven't? Pretty sure they have.

How do you know they haven't? Pretty sure they have.
The people I talk to on the hill haven't heard anything. I have to admit they only have about half the amount of info since the old staff has been let go. I assumed Harmon was a big enough name that something would have come out.

I'm going to need them to step their game up

The people I talk to on the hill haven't heard anything. I have to admit they only have about half the amount of info since the old staff has been let go. I assumed Harmon was a big enough name that something would have come out.

I'm going to need them to step their game up
Jek is right, the coaches have reached out

Roger Lewis was a 2 star only because he was a severe academic risk, otherwise he would have been playing at Ohio St.
Are you sure recruiting services take academics into account when assigning stars? This is the 1st I've heard of that.

Don't get me wrong, I love them. In fact, I just saw a grinning JFK on top of a yellow elephant on 690. I'm not sure if I was on foot or horseback.
Reminds of a very nice Trip in Ithaca

Are you sure recruiting services take academics into account when assigning stars? This is the 1st I've heard of that.
If they aren't going to qualify, yes. There are a ton of examples. Especially a place like Rivalz. They need those valuable 4star spots to keep the interest of the factory schools. I'm kind of serious. Rivalz differs a bit from Skout because part of their ranking is based on college projection. If the kid isn't projected to make it to college, or only for 2 years, obviously his projection isn't going to be as high. Just look back to a lot of the highly rated JUCO's, and then look back to their HS ranking. Some are high because they are close to qualifying, but a lot aren't.

Last edited:
No wonder we can't beat Cortland anymore!
Lol. Unfortunately that was in 1992 when we were fresh off two ncaa titles. I think Ithaca has priced themselves out of success.

Lol. Unfortunately that was in 1992 when we were fresh off two ncaa titles. I think Ithaca has priced themselves out of success.
I was there for the Stagg Bowl loss in '85 and the'88 Championship. We won NCAA championships in Baseball, Football, Wrestling, and Women's Soccer during '88 as well. Not a bad year at all!

I like his film too. Has good, not great speed. Lined up outside all the time but he looks comfortable catching the ball in traffic and with his size, strength and physical nature, I wonder if he might be better suited to playing an inside receiver position for us.

Really like his technique catching the ball and how he uses his body to shield defenders. He is well coached.

Looks like he will be a plus blocker at the position as well. In the Babers offense, it looks like it is really important for the WRs to be able to block. I think we might see more big WRs who can handle this. Could be good news for Enoicy and Custis.

I like his film too. Has good, not great speed. Lined up outside all the time but he looks comfortable catching the ball in traffic and with his size, strength and physical nature, I wonder if he might be better suited to playing an inside receiver position for us.

Really like his technique catching the ball and how he uses his body to shield defenders. He is well coached.

Looks like he will be a plus blocker at the position as well. In the Babers offense, it looks like it is really important for the WRs to be able to block. I think we might see more big WRs who can handle this. Could be good news for Enoicy and Custis.

Although I have not done the research to confirm this, it looks like Riverside is running a Baylor style offense in the tape, so Brooks will already know the concepts. I like his film and his hands.

Does he look like Mike Williams? That was my impression with size and the way he catches the ball.

Given Brooks will be enrolling in January, this is kind of strange. One would think he would be visiting shortly, since the no contact rules do not apply to him.

To answer stumpy78's question, I think he has some similarities to Mike Williams. He looks like he is a little smaller, a little less strong and a little slower than Mike was, which is not a knock on Alonge. Mike was a freak athlete who should still be starting on Sundays. Alonge has a similar body and style of play and it looks like he might be real good in the red zone like Mike was as well.

Let's hope he is a little more stable though.

Was curious why he wasn't more heavily recruited. I found that Alonge didn't get a single catch his freshman year at Riverside and was not used much as a junior until late in the season. He only had 29 receptions on the season but 15 of them were in the last two games of the season. Looks like their offense was extremely run oriented until the last couple of games of the year.

Last edited:
Does he look like Mike Williams? That was my impression with size and the way he catches the ball.
Looks like AJ Green with that size and tiger striped helmet.

Free video from 6/15
Did a little more research on this guy. Looks like he played in 2013 at Victor Valley College. Was listed on their roster at 6'3 185. It appears that giant growth spurt happened his senior season of HS. It really helped him (I believe he only had 1 catch as a senior in HS).

Sat out 2014, so I assume he burned his redshirt season the transferring to Riverside. That explains why he had no catches for them in 2014. Interesting guy. He truly came out of nowhere.

Did a little more research on this guy. Looks like he played in 2013 at Victor Valley College. Was listed on their roster at 6'3 185. It appears he had a giant growth spurt after HS that made him a much better player (I believe he only had 1 catch as a senior in HS).

Sat out 2014, so I assume he burned his redshirt season the transferring to Riverside. That explains why he had no catches for them in 2014. Interesting guy. He truly came out of nowhere.
The very definition of a late bloomer.

Given Brooks will be enrolling in January, this is kind of strange. One would think he would be visiting shortly, since the no contact rules do not apply to him.

To answer stumpy78's question, I think he has some similarities to Mike Williams. He looks like he is a little smaller, a little less strong and a little slower than Mike was, which is not a knock on Alonge. Mike was a freak athlete who should still be starting on Sundays. Alonge has a similar body and style of play and it looks like he might be real good in the red zone like Mike was as well.

Let's hope he is a little more stable though.

Was curious why he wasn't more heavily recruited. I found that Alonge didn't get a single catch his freshman year at Riverside and was not used much as a junior until late in the season. He only had 29 receptions on the season but 15 of them were in the last two games of the season. Looks like their offense was extremely run oriented until the last couple of games of the year.

He is faster than even credit for -- his stride is extremely long which gives him the appearance of being slower than he actually is. My guess is a mid 4.5 guy, which is plenty fast given his frame.