Class of 2019 JUCO WR Reggie Hemphill-Mapps (TX) to Missouri Southern State

CA Monk

2nd String
BTW I think Bailey did a good job not running with the story. Did his due diligence in vetting. There's great pressure (or at least a strong urge) to spread good news, but retracting it is like trying to put tothpaste back in the tube.

jgeorge322

All American
BTW I think Bailey did a good job not running with the story. Did his due diligence in vetting. There's great pressure (or at least a strong urge) to spread good news, but retracting it is like trying to put tothpaste back in the tube.
He scooped the story from here, tweeted it, and then retracted when he couldn’t confirm. Not sure how that is praiseworthy. One could argue he should have confirmed before tweeting it out.

Sudano

2nd String
I just think all of the folks worried about Dino leaving are under estimating the allure of the SU job. It would take a big offer, or a top 10 FB job, to lure him away, provided that SU pays a fair wage and provides the proper support.
Very True. Of course its going to have to be a top job. Because he's not leaving SU for TCU or Ole Miss. Ohio St. Michigan Florida, Florida St. LSU Alabama Clemson USC UCLA(not really top 10)
Texas, Texas AM Georgia Tennessee any others? Top 15 ish? That's what we're worried about. One of these teams looking at our Dino.

CA Monk

2nd String
He scooped the story from here, tweeted it, and then retracted when he couldn’t confirm. Not sure how that is praiseworthy. One could argue he should have confirmed before tweeting it out.
You’re right, it ain’t exactly Pulitzer prize territory, but with all the journalistic misinformstion these days I guess I just appreciate that he didn’t exacerbate the situation.

MadNY3

All Conference
But it never made Syracuse.com. He Tweeted the players Instagram post. He did nothing wrong and retracted accordingly.

jgeorge322

All American
But it never made Syracuse.com. He Tweeted the players Instagram post. He did nothing wrong and retracted accordingly.
For the record, i dont have any real problem with what bailey did. Im just not praising the guy for the story.

texascpa

Living Legend
He didn’t do a story. He made a Tweet off of the evidence that was public.
In today's world, tweets are stories. Hell, I've read "articles" on news sites that are nothing more than regurgitating people's tweets.

shu 49

Starter
I actually think he will come here and the coaches are having him wait for some reason or waiting on attrition. Would be a great get.

Symphony Steve

All Conference
I actually think he will come here and the coaches are having him wait for some reason or waiting on attrition. Would be a great get.
That raises a question that I'm sure has been answered dozens of times on the board. At what point do we need to be at 85? Is it when students show up for either the spring or fall semesters?

orange79

Internet Sleuth
Staff member
That raises a question that I'm sure has been answered dozens of times on the board. At what point do we need to be at 85? Is it when students show up for either the spring or fall semesters?
I'm sure the experts (CL, OX) will chime in, but I'm pretty sure you can never be over the 85 limit, if that's what you are asking. You can always be under, if you want.

Symphony Steve

All Conference
I'm sure the experts (CL, OX) will chime in, but I'm pretty sure you can never be over the 85 limit, if that's what you are asking. You can always be under, if you want.
I get that (I think). But when do the numbers kick in? I doubt that signing an LOI puts you on the 85-man roster. I get that the spring enrollees count when they enroll. I get that players who have exhausted their eligibility come off when their eligibility has expired.

To be more specific with my theoretical question, how would having this recruit sign now impact that 85-man roster?

orangetom

Walk On
I get that (I think). But when do the numbers kick in? I doubt that signing an LOI puts you on the 85-man roster. I get that the spring enrollees count when they enroll. I get that players who have exhausted their eligibility come off when their eligibility has expired.

To be more specific with my theoretical question, how would having this recruit sign now impact that 85-man roster?
I believe they count when they enroll. For the spring semester, 69 returnees plus 8? early enrollees = 77?. The number crunch comes in July when the rest of the signees enroll. Between now and then, there must be attrition so that 85 is not exceeded. The number of slots left for the February signing period depends on attrition. This kid would affect the July numbers crunch. I'm sure Dino has a plan.

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Staff member

Up until the recruiting rules changed this season, schools (especially SEC schools) would sign everybody. If there wasn't enough room under the 85 player limit, recruits would get a phone call in July that they're being "Grayshirted" and not to show up on campus until the following January.

Under the new rules, I believe that you can't have anyone sign unless there's room.

Shrmdougluvr

I pity the poor fool who don't eat my cereal
I think he will sign with Syracuse, but from what I heard there are some things that need to happen on the academic side.
That's interesting. I mean, he qualified for Texas out of HS. Why would he now be "unqualified?" Is it something maybe Dino is requiring?

PhatOrange

Living Legend
He needs to be at the ncaa requirement towards graduation. So assuming his gpa is ok it’s the number of classses he has towards graduation, so possibly he needs to ‘catch up’.

I’ve long thought he’ll end up here.

Top Bottom