Judah…. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Judah….

Forget the threes... if he can master that 18 foot J off the dribble he will be unstoppable. That shot is there all night long for him if he wants it.

Right now teams play off him because he can't shoot, but yesterday he hit 3 mid range jumpers off the dribble, in addition to the three. If he hits that consistently the defender will have to play him tight and then he can use his dribbling to get by.

I see a little Jalen Brunson to his game.
He is a lot quicker and more athletic than Brunson, but no one thinks the game better than Brunson. I watched most of his Knick games. He’s as crafty a player that I’ve ever seen. He‘s just a flat out winner. Adding Hart, the Knicks now have two tough, hard nosed winners.

Forget the threes... if he can master that 18 foot J off the dribble he will be unstoppable. That shot is there all night long for him if he wants it.
Hasn't he hit several (all) of those lately?

JB needs to hunt down Tim the target, dude has gone AWOL. I keep mentioning the guy but I there have to be interesting stories to be told there , guy is out there but hop and JB trusted their players and children

He would fix his release though. Thumb pinky equal height, release with two fingers at the same time, elbow and thumb nail inside the hoop, it's gonna be on line

He would come to Hilbert basketball camp frequently. Wouldn't miss.

Not snark,I have no idea, but are high school stats reliable (even at power programs)? Because I find that stat very surprising
I would be surprised if they just made stats up but I guess it is possible if they think it will help players get the attention of colleges.

I didn't see Oak Hill play every game last season but I did see them play a couple of times and he shot well from outside in the games I watched. His form is very good.

Hasn't he hit several (all) of those lately?
I'll admit I haven't been watching every game the past month or so (shocking I know)... but my observation is that he has been very reluctant to shoot a jumper so instead he has been relying on kamikaze drives to the hoop where he is not strong enough to consistently finish and he doesn't get calls. Even yesterday during the first half it didn't seem like he wanted to shoot it, but then he hit one in the second giving him confidence to shoot several more.

Again that shot is there every possession if he wants it... he starts hitting those consistently and the entire offense is different and much smoother.

He is a lot quicker and more athletic than Brunson, but no one thinks the game better than Brunson. I watched most of his Knick games. He’s as crafty a player that I’ve ever seen. He‘s just a flat out winner. Adding Hart, the Knicks now have two tough, hard nosed winners.
Yep... and not to turn this into a Knicks thread but with Hart on board they should trade RJ in the offseason. That dude is not a winning player unless he can learn to shoot.

He shot 40% from 3 at Oak Hill.

He is a fine outside shooter but a lot of good shooters struggle that first year in college. It is a big adjustment. The players are a lot bigger and faster and more athletic. There is less time to get your shot off.

If he comes back next year, I would fully expect him to shoot in the 36-40% range from the 3 point circle.
I really think Mintz should come back next year. Best for Syracuse and Mintz. If he can get a bit stronger next year and work on his 3's so he is serviceable that would be huge for him. If defenders can't constantly sluff off him when he's handling at the 3 point line or back off him when he's standing at the 3 point line while others are penetrating that will be huge for Syracuse and his game as well.

Really he just needs to be able to shoot 30-35% while being wide open. I'm not sure how he shot 40% from 3 at Oak Hill. He has only been taking wide open shots without pressure and he is hitting at a very low clip. I agree with others about his form on that 3 he made last night. There is certainly room to improve his shooting form. If the staff tweaks his stroke a bit and he works hard on it, he certainly should be able to get there.

I would be surprised if they just made stats up but I guess it is possible if they think it will help players get the attention of colleges.

I didn't see Oak Hill play every game last season but I did see them play a couple of times and he shot well from outside in the games I watched. His form is very good.
The DO says Judah was 18 of 39 from the 3 point circle (46%) for Oak Hill.

I can't find the article now but I am 95% sure another article mentioned he had shot over 40% from the 3 point circle his last year at Gonzaga as well.

Mintz originally committed to Pittsburgh, but he opened his recruitment in November and took official visits to all four finalists between February and March, according to his 247Sports page. He transferred to Oak Hill (Virginia) Academy for the 2021-22 season after previously playing at Gonzaga College High School — where he averaged 16 points per game, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review — and has produced 15.2 points per game for the Warriors, shooting 53.2% from the field and 46.2% on 3-pointers. His percentage from beyond the arc is the highest on Oak Hill among players with more than four attempts, and Mintz has made 18-of-39 3s while dishing out four assists per game.

Need to absolutely build the roster around him next year.

Once he starts hitting 3s at a somewhat respectable rate and the refs start calling fouls, I’m not sure how you stop him

The skill and stamina required to grind and drive like he does, all game, every possession, every dribble, and then to pop off a smooth jumper. There aren't many guys who can do that. Their legs get tired and their jumper suffers.

We needed Jesse and Judah hitting a three to win this. Crazy.

Right now teams play off him because he can't shoot, but yesterday he hit 3 mid range jumpers off the dribble, in addition to the three. If he hits that consistently the defender will have to play him tight and then he can use his dribbling to get by.

I see a little Jalen Brunson to his game.

Mid-range, floater and once he gets a tad bit stronger, his finishing near the rim will improve as well.

I think it's fair to say that he definitely has potential to have a legit improvement with his shot, even if it doesn't translate to all world numbers. To your point, I think there is enough evidence in his HS days / this season to showcase that he could be an okay shooter next year with a bit of work and awareness of when he should be shooting long range. And also to your point, it's not like has has some insane hitch.

Everything else the NBA will worry about for his shot.

Continues to show improvement making decisions. Thought he was super solid tonight.

He’s really calmed down. Also think JB has done a nice job subbing him out when he appears to show some frustration.

Hope he comes back next year…he’ll start getting calls he’s not getting this year.

I’m not sure I’ve seen a player evolve so much in a single season. Usually it’s a year over year improvement, he’s more game over game.
I love, love, love this kid.

I love, love, love this kid.
This offseason will be fascinating... do we lose him to another college program that says a LOT about our status as a blue blood. If we lose him to d-league/NBA... whatevs.

Continues to show improvement making decisions. Thought he was super solid tonight.

He’s really calmed down. Also think JB has done a nice job subbing him out when he appears to show some frustration.

Hope he comes back next year…he’ll start getting calls he’s not getting this year.

I’m not sure I’ve seen a player evolve so much in a single season. Usually it’s a year over year improvement, he’s more game over game.
If he stays, he'll get a ton more brand development in college than playing in the G League next year. I hope he and his handlers realize another year or two in college isn't a bad thing.

If he stays, he'll get a ton more brand development in college than playing in the G League next year. I hope he and his handlers realize another year or two in college isn't a bad thing.
Also,

1) There is no free Mario & Salvos pizza in Grand Rapids after every game.

2) The Yesterdog chili dog gives point guards the runs.

Judah, you have been warned.

rfl_13884-360x360.jpg

Last edited:
I’m going to repeat, NBA is a man’s game. Kid needs to get older. Another year will benefit him and being the man with a seasoned team around will position him for a nice payday next year

He comes back he will be the biggest name in upstate New York after your favorite Bill. That is worth marketing dollars.

JB needs to hunt down Tim the target, dude has gone AWOL. I keep mentioning the guy but I there have to be interesting stories to be told there , guy is out there but hop and JB trusted their players and children

He would fix his release though. Thumb pinky equal height, release with two fingers at the same time, elbow and thumb nail inside the hoop, it's gonna be on line

I trained with Tim back in my old days. I was a pretty good shooter to begin with but he had me shooting over 50% from 3 in real games by the time he was done with me. He was truly an amazing coach; 15+ years later I still use some of the physical tools he gave me (though they've nearly fallen apart after all this time lol).

I don't live in the area anymore and have lost contact with him, but I feel like I remember hearing he had gone through some physical and mental health issues.

I know some of his shooting philosophies are considered outdated these days, but his stuff works amazingly well.

He’s only projected in some mock drafts in the middle of the second round. Obviously would still make good money if he left this year and idk his families situation.

That being said if he comes back next year which I expect he will. He’ll probably get a good looking NIL deal from Weistman anyway and he’ll be a sure fire all conference preseason player and probably make some National All American preseason teams. He’d more than likely move his draft stock into the lottery or late first round if he improves his jump shot and continues his momentum into next year. That’s a huge difference in money from a mid second round pick to lottery/later first and you get an NIL deal from Weistman. Probably would be best for him to stay one more year, but after next year I say leave, your window and playing career in the NBA is so small. But if he’s trying to maximize his potential and money he should stay one more year.

Not snark,I have no idea, but are high school stats reliable (even at power programs)? Because I find that stat very surprising
He did shoot a good percentage in high school but it was on pretty small sample size. Much like we've seen in college, he just didn't take 3's very often in high school. But I think I had him charted around 45% from 3 on his limited sample size (around 60-70 attempts).

He shot 40% from 3 at Oak Hill.

He is a fine outside shooter but a lot of good shooters struggle that first year in college. It is a big adjustment. The players are a lot bigger and faster and more athletic. There is less time to get your shot off.

If he comes back next year, I would fully expect him to shoot in the 36-40% range from the 3 point circle.
Also, isn't the 3 pt line 1 ft farther away in college?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom