Judge's ruling favors NCAA athletes seeking 2nd transfer | Syracusefan.com

Judge's ruling favors NCAA athletes seeking 2nd transfer

Was a matter of time. Only upside for SU fans is short term -- this can make it easier for Red to clear more roster space.

Whatever was left of the traditional college flavor is effectively eradicated by this decision. It'll become a rare thing to see an athlete at the same school more than 1 or 2 years now. Even the factories are not immune. Player X who transferred to Alabama will jump to Ohio St when they offer an extra $1M in incentives, then Michigan will come calling the next year...

And then 5 or 10 years from now there will be a ruling that an athlete can transfer from Syracuse and be immediately eligible at Alabama for the playoff game if it falls in the next semester.

I feel bad for my kids and the youngest generation who will never truly know what college sports used to be like.

Was a matter of time. Only upside for SU fans is short term -- this can make it easier for Red to clear more roster space.

Whatever was left of the traditional college flavor is effectively eradicated by this decision. It'll become a rare thing to see an athlete at the same school more than 1 or 2 years now. Even the factories are not immune. Player X who transferred to Alabama will jump to Ohio St when they offer an extra $1M in incentives, then Michigan will come calling the next year...

And then 5 or 10 years from now there will be a ruling that an athlete can transfer from Syracuse and be immediately eligible at Alabama for the playoff game if it falls in the next semester.

I feel bad for my kids and the youngest generation who will never truly know what college sports used to be like.
Gone are the days of watching a kid develop over his career at a school and a fan base developing an identity with said athlete. Won’t know the roster year to year until the first tip or snap

Gone are the days of watching a kid develop over his career at a school and a fan base developing an identity with said athlete. Won’t know the roster year to year until the first tip or snap
I used to be able to make a strong case to my friends who are pro-sports fans only that it was a turn-off when pros can be traded mid-season and don't last on a team for more than 2-3 years in most cases.

Now I feel like we've done a 180. There's way more stability in pro sports, and that's saying a lot.

I also used to believe - if even at a small scale - that a player chose the school because he liked the school (as opposed to playing for a franchise that drafts him and signs him to a contract).

I'm sad right now.

That is pretty much what all4su’s post was about. The inmates will continue to run the asylum appears

well they are employees now so i would expect some sort of collectively bargained agreement to prevent this stuff from totally ruining the sport.

Wait, I mean they'll totally ruin the sport with nonsense like that. What prevents trades at this point in season?

And just how are these free agents supposed to be transferring all of their credits each year? What began as a way to protect the rights of players has ironically mutated to a potential form of exploitation.

Lets see where NIL is in 3-5 yrs..

I have heard that at several of the big boys there is already concern that NIL spending can not be sustained long term. We know some things were going on before but it wasnt at the 3-5 million level it is now for players and now they all want it not just a few.

Are boosters going to spend 30-40 million a yr to keep Ala on top not matter how many and how rich they are?

1 transfer + a transfer anytime there's a head coaching change.

Any other transfer should still require sitting out a year... one could argue that the missed year could be added to the player's eligibility.

Allowing unlimited transfers will totally change/destroy the current college sports environment.
If it happens, perhaps a program should be able to replace a portaled player with a HS recruit. As in increase the number of HS recruits allowed (FB: 25+1/2 the number of the departing portal players).

e.g. if 10 FB players leave through the portal, change the HS openings to 25+5=30.

Last edited:
The system is broken. It’s been broken for a long time. They will never be able to enforce anything until they break away and create a league where players are paid. 80 teams. Maybe less. One TV contract. Funds are split 60/20/20. 60 percent to university’s, 20 percent to the league, 20 percent to the players. Signed contracts and you can implement any rules you want because players are under contract.

Otherwise, it feels like the courts will strike down anything the NCAA tries to do or enforce. The NCAA is done, it’s impossible for them to survive if they can’t police anything.

It’s wide open free agency. Have to take the good with the bad so the flip side is that some kids are going to get cut loose at random times and find themselves scrambling.

IMG_1584.gif

It’s wide open free agency. Have to take the good with the bad so the flip side is that some kids are going to get cut loose at random times and find themselves scrambling.

View attachment 235008

I can see HS players getting agents/lawyers and having contract written up with the school of their choice before their LOI.

In general, transferring is bad for the student part of student athlete. I get that realistically the student component has been very minor for quite some time. However, giving an athlete a few hundred K vs getting a decent degree is a bad trade off for the student.

This is another huge mistake and a threat to college sports. There’s already a declining lack of interest in college sports for the casual fan. In basketball, schools like Duke, UNC and Kentucky (and those with wealthy, active NIL donors like West Virginia) will just buy the best teams every year. Federal judges shouldn’t be getting involved in how the NCAA regulates itself with NIL or transfers. It can’t turn into the Wild West. Even pro sports have limits on player movement and free agency. If this is allowed to stand, the NCAA will have to allow contracts and paying players directly in order to limit player movement. I’m fine with a one time transfer. But you can’t have guys moving to different schools every year. Fans are already feeling alienated and losing interest because of all the player movement.

This is another huge mistake and a threat to college sports. There’s already a declining lack of interest in college sports for the casual fan. In basketball, schools like Duke, UNC and Kentucky (and those with wealthy, active NIL donors like West Virginia) will just buy the best teams every year. Federal judges shouldn’t be getting involved in how the NCAA regulates itself with NIL or transfers. It can’t turn into the Wild West. Even pro sports have limits on player movement and free agency. If this is allowed to stand, the NCAA will have to allow contracts and paying players directly in order to limit player movement. I’m fine with a one time transfer. But you can’t have guys moving to different schools every year. Fans are already feeling alienated and losing interest because of all the player movement.
I think we’re already there.

The real question is. If you want to make this not dependent of going to class. How many kids are going to fail from going to the NBA or NFL and then not have a college degree. Yes I understand some of the degrees are useless as it is. But it’s still a college degree or a step in the right direction that can set them up on a path for future success. If you take school completely out of this, then you’re left with a lot of students that will not be going to college because they can make it big. And then when they are injured or do not make it big. They are left with no college degree, no money to pay for a degree and 24 years old starting from scratch.

All I’m saying. Be careful what you wish for. Only about 2,000 players circulate in the NFL. I think sometimes, people take for granted what they have access too and how they are set on a path to be successful.

Guys, the governing bodies in charge of all of this stuff has a good handle on it