June is team opt out month for ACC: word is | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

June is team opt out month for ACC: word is

it is sort of like employment and corporations. The loyalty of one to the other has been blown apart over the past 10-15 years. So in a way, college athletics is doing the same...money is king. Maybe the Ivy League and others have it right...athletics is the tail wagging the dog..and that seems sad.
where have i heard this before

I agree...but the more I read, the more inevitable it sounds. Who would have thought Anheuser-Busch could ever have been bought out, or that GM would have filed for bankruptcy...

This is a new world we're in where the past just doesn't matter anymore.

The Pac 16 was inevitable too back in 2010. Just a matter of whether anyone will care about Syracuse, Duke, BC, Pitt and Wake.

Two years ago the media got together with the conferences and saved the Big 12, or more specifically: to save Kansas, KSU, Iowa State and Baylor. The ACC has a far richer history and tradition that the 16 year old Big 12. I just have a really difficult time imagining that everyone is going to pull the trigger to make the doomsday happen.

That was my thinking as well. But ESPN had a chance to put the league on a par with the Big 12 and chose not to.

So apparently the WWL doesn't think as much about the entirety of the ACC vs Texas only.

Cheers,
Neil

if all this stuff comes to fruition---so many in the east coast will tune out the biggies anyway. this maybe the best thing that could happen to COLLEGE football. maybe in the east it would precipitate a return to some semlance of local traditions and rivalries that this was all about from the begining. at this point,i really don't care that much were su ends up its all to crazy and i will still go to our games anyway.
some of the most competive games i have seen and a lot of fun were in the ivy league!!! but then again, i am an "older fan" . i only watch eastern football anyway. could care less about the sec,pac and big whatevers.

Two years ago the media got together with the conferences and saved the Big 12, or more specifically: to save Kansas, KSU, Iowa State and Baylor. The ACC has a far richer history and tradition that the 16 year old Big 12. I just have a really difficult time imagining that everyone is going to pull the trigger to make the doomsday happen.

I have a hard time seeing ESPN turn its back on the one conference where it alone owns all the content, to simply disintegrate or fade away.

if all this stuff comes to fruition---so many in the east coast will tune out the biggies anyway. this maybe the best thing that could happen to COLLEGE football. maybe in the east it would precipitate a return to some semlance of local traditions and rivalries that this was all about from the begining. at this point,i really don't care that much were su ends up its all to crazy and i will still go to our games anyway.
some of the most competive games i have seen and a lot of fun were in the ivy league!!! but then again, i am an "older fan" . i only watch eastern football anyway. could care less about the sec,pac and big whatevers.

I watch as much CFB as I can, which isn't as much as it used to be due to familial obligations. If Syracuse loses its place in a conference that has a shot at the national championship, I will be right there with you. I will watch the eastern teams play and then wait for Sunday. I think a lot of people underestimate the negative impact a 4 conference world will have. You think the Northeast is predominantly NFL now? Wait until the doomsday scenario takes place. The Northeast may watch the SEC and Big 10 now, but I think many are misjudging what that means. That is holding onto interest with a thread.

From a football standpoint, the Big 12 has been vastly superior to the ACC over the past decade. You could even argue that the Big East has played better football than the ACC since BC, Miami, and VT left. The Sagarin ratings of the conference support that view. If Florida St and Miami had been close to their teams of the 1990s, the ACC would have been in a better position. VT, which is the perceived conference football power, has had one top 5 finish and that was is 1999 when they were in the Big East with Michael Vick.

Here are the top ACC teams in the final AP Poll:

2011: VT - 21
2010: VT - 16
2009: VT - 10
2008: VT - 15
2007: VT - 9
2006: Wake Forest - 18
2005: VT - 7
2004: VT - 10
2003: Florida St. - 11
2002: NC St. - 12

Clearly, the ACC missed the boat when the Big 12 was rocky and should have pushed to add Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St. to be the first conference to go to 16.

Outside of poor football performance since the first expansion, the ACC had three major problems:

1) They locked into a LT contract with ESPN right before more media companies became interested in buying rights. (Believe it or not, the BE had an advantage with their contract coming up for bid, but they failed to capitalize on it, at least so it seems.) ACC's contract is worse than Big 1G, Pac 12, SEC, and Big 12. That's a problem for FSU and Clemson who compare themselves to their main rivals, Florida and South Carolina.

2) Too many private schools. The ACC has by far the most private schools of any football conference, 5. In a world of conference networks, this is a liability as it is more difficult to get markets to play top dollar for a conference network for small private schools. ND and possibly Syracuse would be an exception, but there is no way the Boston market is paying top dollar for an ACC conference network.

3) Too many North Carolina schools. Having 4 schools from North Carolina is not good for media contracts. How does Wake Forest add any value to the media contract?

new league,all academia and screw the rest of you conference-- duke rice su bc wf ,upenn, reinvent univ.chicago, pitt, navy,army and airforce, vandy,duke.automtic bowl invite based on collective gpa oh i forgot columbia or fordham for the coveted nyc market all nyc games to be played in yankee stadium.

if the powers that be shut the northeast out of the collegiate national title, then all us pro sports fans in the northeast will have no problem to stop watching anything northeast related football wise and concentrate on the big4, since they will truely be the top minor league for the NFL.

i will watch Syracuse

and then whatever the big 4 has on.

if the powers that be shut the northeast out of the collegiate national title, then all us pro sports fans in the northeast will have no problem to stop watching anything northeast related football wise and concentrate on the big4, since they will truely be the top minor league for the NFL.

i will watch Syracuse

I will watch Syracuse, other Eastern teams, and bash the big 4 until they carry my bitter arse to the grave.

i will watch Syracuse

not i, there will be no big 4.---i already watch layfayette, or lehigh,ivy games etc.if you have never been one they are a lot of fun, those schools tailgate as well!!!on the contrary for me i will watch only eastern football-- i don't watch pro at all except the super bowl for commercials

Clearly, the ACC missed the boat when the Big 12 was rocky and should have pushed to add Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St. to be the first conference to go to 16.

Those 4 schools were never going to join the ACC - even suggesting that is pure fantasy land.

I have a hard time believing that a school ranked 34th overall by US News & World Report, and 4th for its primary programs of study, would leave the ACC to join the XII. Its "natural" conference affiliation is clearly the ACC.

That said, losing its 2 of its closest conference members (even if they are in another division) could make them at least do their due diligence.

I complete agree. Even if the 'Noles and the Tigers leave (which I still do not believe it will happen), I want my Jackets in the ACC. If FSU and Clemson do leave, I believe they'll be back. The LHN is having trouble getting subscriptions and both OU and UT eyes are still looking west in my opinion. Besides, if there really are going to be 4 16-team conferences, the Pac 16 and Big 16 cannot coexist, and the Pac is not going anywhere.

Besides, if there really are going to be 4 16-team conferences, the Pac 16 and Big 16 cannot coexist, and the Pac is not going anywhere.

Good point. Where does the Pac 12 find four more teams?

That decision by the Pac 12 PRESIDENTS can be filed under "You Snooze...You Lose"

I don't think THEY will take just anyone. The ADs, yes. Presidents? Doubtful.

Cuse, Pitt, BC + MD :p

You know on joked about this same thing in one of the threads over on the CSNbbs Conference Realignment board and then a half hour later a separate thread was created seriously suggesting this is what might happen. Oh Lord

I'm usually a never say never guy, but I might have to make an exception in this case.

:rolling:

Cheers,
Neil