Junior Day?? | Syracusefan.com

Junior Day??

anomander

Living Legend
Hoping we finally decide to put something together. If BC can get 60 + kids to attend I am sure we can. They have some seriously talented kids attending too. I am sure we can use a basketball game as some extra incentive to get kids on campus. Would think it would have to happen before Spring ball begins though right?

Not trying to be a jerk but I know D 3 schools that have junior days. It's crazy to me that we don't do this

Could it possibly be we don't do Junior Day because of the talent, or lack there-of, that is in our 5 hour radius? Is it normal to get kids flying in and paying their own way to come to Junior Days?

Could it possibly be we don't do Junior Day because of the talent, or lack there-of, that is in our 5 hour radius? Is it normal to get kids flying in and paying their own way to come to Junior Days?

I am sure that has something to do with it, but if you look at what BC is doing for their JR day this weekend that kind of defeats that argument

we've always done junior days. last year i don't think one got put together because of the late staff transitions but there should be no excuse this year. I'd be floored if we don't have one.

How much talent does BC have nearby? I think the Duke game would have been perfect

The duke game would have been perfect yes, but do most teams do junior day when they are trying to close out the current class on the final weekend of the year? But then again maybe that would have built some rapport with the incoming class and juniors. Oh well.

The duke game would have been perfect yes, but do most teams do junior day when they are trying to close out the current class on the final weekend of the year? But then again maybe that would have built some rapport with the incoming class and juniors. Oh well.

yes most schools had JR days the last couple weekends before NSD. Most of the top 25 schools are pretty much done with their classes by then and are working on the following year. Kind of like our basketabll recruiting is. Duke really would have been the perfect weekend. It would have given extra incentive for kids to drive those few extra miles. I was hoping we would do something for the NCST game next weekend, but that doesn't look to be the case. Not sure if there are any more home weekend games the rest of the season.

How about April 7th at AT@T North Texas Stadium when we wrap up the basketball season? That is consider a home game right? We beat Baylor in Maui and if that is a home game this one must be.

How much talent does BC have nearby? I think the Duke game would have been perfect
Unfortunately the Duke game was senior game because the staff doesn't like recruits visiting during the season.

Certainly would like a junior day, but these guys have their own way of doing things, and that way brought us our best class on paper in many years. As good as BC's class to use one example. Besides, if a kid refuses to commit here, newest hardnosed staff member Joe Adam will crush him like a grape

Unfortunately the Duke game was senior game because the staff doesn't like recruits visiting during the season.

The staff doesnt like official visits during the season and it's hard to argue against that.

The staff doesnt like official visits during the season and it's hard to argue against that.
My only argument is that every other school in the country pulls it off. Feels like it's some wasted time. Eric White could easily take players around don't think he has any responsibilities on game days (being on the admin staff).

My only argument is that every other school in the country pulls it off. Feels like it's some wasted time. Eric White could easily take players around don't think he has any responsibilities on game days (being on the admin staff).

I'm sure they can pull it off if necessary but all schools save the bulk of officials for after the season. Shaf has stated they can give the recruits more attention and I can see that point.

In my opinion, I prefer to see the visits after the season because I believe it keeps the visit fresh in the mind. If I visit Cuse in October and then go visit 4 other BCS schools in December and January, I might be forgetting all about my Syracuse visit in October; 2 or 3 months prior.

Last edited:
I wonder if the emphasis is to get these kids up for camp this summer, when hopefully an IPF is under construction, rather than a Jr Day. Would allow the coaches to actually work with the kids and provide further evaluation.

doesnt a junior day have to be open to anyone since its not a paid visit? you would have had 5000 locals trying to get in.

doesnt a junior day have to be open to anyone since its not a paid visit? you would have had 5000 locals trying to get in.

no it doesn't have to be open to everyone. it's hosted by the football program and is invitation only.

I wonder if the emphasis is to get these kids up for camp this summer, when hopefully an IPF is under construction, rather than a Jr Day. Would allow the coaches to actually work with the kids and provide further evaluation.

camps are usually for kids who are trying to earn offers. JR day invitees would be a combination of kids who have an offer, will eventually be offered, or basically anyone else.

camps are usually for kids who are trying to earn offers. JR day invitees would be a combination of kids who have an offer, will eventually be offered, or basically anyone else.

Yes... and as you posted "camps are usually for kids who are trying to earn offers." All I am speculating is that with the IPF being under construction this summer, hopefully, the staff might be focusing on getting recruits up during camps to show it off. I just don't think they were focusing on a Jr Day being that the wrap up for the 2014 class was down to the wire.

Watch it or all requests to S. A will be cut off. ;)

This is where hiring other support staff besides White and Dial would be helpful. If you have another person(s) working on a JR day while those guys close out NSD, you don't have a gap.

With the season hoops is having and a lot of schools on Feb. break next week, you could get a decent number of prospects in the 6-hr radius here (this storm probably would have hurt attendance)

I'm sure they can pull it off if necessary but all schools save the bulk of officials for after the season. Shaf has stated they can give the recruits more attention and I can see that point.

In my opinion, I prefer to see the visits after the season because I believe it keeps the visit fresh in the mind. If I visit Cuse in October and then go visit 4 other BCS schools in December and January, I might be forgetting all about my Syracuse visit in October; 2 or 3 months prior.

Really? BC was done with this class in December and working exclusively on the junior class since then. I think that will be the general trend going forward. January you save for kids coming from outside the 6-hour radius but the ones within it will have been picked over pretty good by then (unless they're national level recruits). Desko tried to hold out from the trend to recruit earlier and earlier but even he's given in now.

If they want to piggy-back on the basketball team's success, it looks like GT is the last opportunity to pull off the junior day.

Really? BC was done with this class on December and working exclusively on the junior class since then. I think that will be the general trend going forward. January you save for kids coming from outside the 6-hour radius but the ones within it will have been picked over pretty good by then (unless they're national level recruits). Desko tried to hold out from the trend to recruit earlier and earlier but even he's given in now.

I tend to agree with you. Just taking an early look at 2015 ACC recruiting every school, but Cuse and WF have a commit, and most have multiple. Don't think it matters all that much since a lot of these kids will de-commit, and all chaos will eventually ensue, but it still doesn't hide the fact that you need to be in early on kids. There is a reason the good team get early commits. Kids want to go to their school, all the other schools are basically kids settling later in the process. The elite talent that we are now starting to recruit for the most part have already been recruitied since their Freshman and Sophmore seasons. We don't exactly need commitments from them, but if we want to stand a chance we have to at least be involved from the early stages.

Just as a gauge here is how the 2015 looks so far for the ACC
http://syracuse.At their request, t... this site./a.z?s=185&p=9&c=14&view=2&yr=2015

Really? BC was done with this class in December and working exclusively on the junior class since then. I think that will be the general trend going forward. January you save for kids coming from outside the 6-hour radius but the ones within it will have been picked over pretty good by then (unless they're national level recruits). Desko tried to hold out from the trend to recruit earlier and earlier but even he's given in now.

If they want to piggy-back on the basketball team's success, it looks like GT is the last opportunity to pull off the junior day.

I'm not sure what you're saying? That BC's class was wrapped up by December and ours wasn't? I only said I prefer officials visits after the season.

I think it's major blunder to not have junior days. I'm very critical of that.

Not sure what has to do with desko though. Frankly i think it's stupid offering a rising 9th grader a scholarship unless the kid is competing against rising seniors as is and even so, what if the kid doesn't grow another inch? Is he already 6-o tall or is he 5-5 right now?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you're saying? That BC's class was wrapped up by December and ours wasn't? I only said I prefer officials visits after the season.

I think it's major blunder to not have junior days. I'm very critical of that.

Not sure what has to do with this though. Frankly i think it's stupid offering a rising 9th grader a scholarship unless the kid is competing against rising seniors as is and even so, what if the kid doesn't grow another inch? Is he already 6-o tall or is he 5-5 right now?
And our class was better than BC's because of that.

I've been thinking about this one I think the First weekend of the NCAA Basketball tourney would be great for a junior day its not on campus but NCAA weekend always generates a buzz on campus that is the type of atmosphere you want a junior to experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom